Fresh Salmon.So rich.What to have with it?

Page 1 / 2
jubellsrose, Feb 11, 6:06am
I love it but just a tiny bit.

cookessentials, Feb 11, 6:12am
I marinate individual fillets in a mix of lea and perrins worcestershire sauce ( about 2-3 tsp and lemon juice and zest) usually for about 30 mins or so. I wrap each fillet in tinfoil with a good gap at the top -just fold the top over to form a "handbag" place on oven tray and bake at 170c till cooked through. I usually serve with new potatoes and fresh asparagus, but as the asparagus season has passed, you could do courgettes insetead.

vinee, Feb 11, 6:15am
mm, I just had salmon for tea!
I had boiled taties and salad greens with it and I'll be at the homemade choccy ice cream in a minute.
Do you know, I know people who will only eat the icky tinned stuff! They don't like the "icky" fresh stuff.
*blows raspberry @ them*

jubellsrose, Feb 11, 6:17am
thanks. served the small amount of salmon fillet on couscous and a few green beans and lemon slice to squeeze over. was nice.

samanya, Feb 11, 6:57am
udon noodles, finely shredded Nori & a rice wine/soy/sesame dressing.

goldgurl, Feb 11, 6:58am
I can ONLY eat salmon sashimi style (and absolutely LOVE IT! ! ) with kikoman and wasabi... otherwise it's tooo rich alright! !

Hubby loves it anyway... I just can't do it lol.

redrustie, Feb 11, 8:43am
I lightly steam green beans for a couple of mins then place them in a smallish oven dish. Heat the oven up to 180 and mix in olives, capers, anchovies and halved cherry tomatoes (or normal chopped), place the salmon fillet ontop of it all, cover with foil and cook in the oven for around 20 minutes. It's really yummy and not too strong 'salmon' oily flavour!

huggy5, Feb 11, 8:49am
I make a salsa of tinned mango, red onion and sweet chilli sauce. Yummy and takes away some of the richness.

ruby19, Feb 11, 6:28pm
Last time I cooked salmon for my family I served it with pea purée & new baby potatoes. They loved the pea purée.

lythande1, Feb 11, 8:25pm
I have it cold usually.
Layer of crispy noodles, salad with lettuce varieties and watercress, then the salmon.
Drizzle with whatever dressing you like.

uli, Feb 11, 11:12pm
Aye?
What do mean by "rich"?
Lots of money?
Lots of fat?
Lots of what?

anglia, Feb 11, 11:15pm
redrustie that sounds delicious - I'm going to try that one TY.

rkcroft, Feb 11, 11:19pm
I love fresh salmon. I actually don't find it rich in taste at all. However, I like to cook mine to well done. I like it super, super crispy on the outsides and not at all pink in the middle. A hell of a lot of oil comes out of it and I think cooking it like this reduces that rich taste. I serve mine on a bed of salad leaves and roasted cashews drizzled with a Thai style dressing of brown sugar, soy, lime juice, fish sauce and fresh coriander. So nice - in fact I've been known to eat this meal up to 4 times in 1 week!

anglia, Feb 11, 11:27pm
these recipes are making me crave salmon! I often cook mine under a searing hot grill - skin side sprinkled with sea salt & doesn't take too long but I like the sound of the baked recipes on here. I think the trick is knowing exactly how long to cook for so that it does not dry out but undercooked is not pleasant either. I'm still learning.

mwood, Feb 11, 11:40pm
I love the rich Bouché of fresh salmon. Frozen or preserved seems to fracture the texture resulting in a dryer bland plating - which is also of course good for those reasons and for those who don't savour the richness. Tonight we will have fresh salmon poached in the microwave with a dash of arancello, a smear of garlic and chilli and a splash of sesame oil, served with creamy scrambled egg, stir fried peppers and celery and my favourite steamed rice mix of sticky and jasmine rice. Rich ? - yes - expensive ? - no.

valentino, Feb 12, 12:11am
Try this, so refreshing...

Wasabi, Ginger and Lime salmon in Vermicelli.

About 800g Fresh salmon in at least 4 pieces initially,
2 tbsp wasabi paste,
1 tbsp vege oil,
finely grated zest of one lime,
2cm piece of ginger peeled and grated or finely chopped,
some salt,
1 pkt vermicelli,
boiling water,
1/3 c light soy sauce,
1 tbsp palm sugar,
1/2 c rice vinegar,
1 red banana chillie seeds removed & sliced thinly or 2 tsp cajun powder,
Thai basil ( used normal fresh basil) and a
couple of fresh limes.

Preheat oven to 200c.
Salmon on ovenproof dish.
Mix together wasabi, oil, zest & ginger and smear over salmon then sprinkle with salt then cook for 15 to 20 minutes ( or until fish is cooked to one’s liking).
Break or cut up vermicelli then put into a bowl & cover with boiling water for 10 minutes then drain.

Mix together soy, palm sugar, vinegar & chillie (used cajun) in a bowl, whisk until combined then pour over noodles.
Gently remove the pin bones while breaking up salmon flesh & combining with noodles adding basil and sliced peeled limes before serving.
It is quite refreshing and can imagine using most types of fleshy fish instead of salmon but salmon is ideal.
Cheers.

mwood, Feb 12, 12:33am
looks good valentino- I will try this recipe - chilli and lime are a great combination - I have two limes on my new lime tree who will be called into service and fresh hot chillies in the garden.

goldgurl, Feb 12, 2:32am
well after all this talk of salmon, guess what I had for lunch? Yep - salmon sashimi :)

When's it's down to $18. 95kgs I stock up, keep it in the freezer. Easy to thinkly slice it while it's frozen, fan it out on a platter and keep it in the fridge - slowly defrosts in the fridge really quickly and it looks really fancy & professional :)

jubellsrose, Feb 12, 6:16am
Many thanks for all these ideas. Lots of new ways for me to try.

jubellsrose, Feb 12, 7:35pm
Must try this huggy. Thanks

davidt4, Feb 12, 8:56pm
Valentino - your dish reminded me of this one - my favourite salmon salad.

Thai Salmon Salad (Neil Perry)

serves 3 - 4

600g thick salmon fillet, skinless & deboned
3 tab fish sauce
½ tsp salt
1 tsp palm sugar
6 shallots (or 1 red onion) finely sliced
1 tab veg. oil
4 tab peanuts
2 c soft herbs - coriander, mint, basil, Thai basil, Vietnamese mint
2 c small salad leaves - spinach, beet, rocket, mustard, lettuce
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tsp roasted ground rice

Dressing:
1 tsp palm sugar
6 tab lime juice
6 tab fish sauce
1 hot chilli, deseeded and finely sliced

Cut salmon into manageable pieces for grilling. Mix fish sauce, salt and sugar, coat salmon and marinate 30 min in fridge.

Transfer fish to a rack over a plate and allow to dry in fridge at least two hours or overnight. Remove from fridge 30 min before cooking.

Fry peanuts in oil until brown, remove and drain on paper towel. In same oil fry garlic until golden, drain. When the peanuts are cool crush and add to garlic.

Grill or pan-fry salmon over high heat for approx 1 minute per side until darkbut semi-raw inside. Cool on plate 10 min.

Mix dressing ingredients.

In a large bowl mix leaves with peanuts, garlic, shallots. Flake the salmon into bowl and fold all together gently. Arrange in shallow serving dish, drizzle dressing over, sprinkle with roasted rice powder.

valentino, Feb 13, 5:37am
Thank you davidt4, have this on list to do very soon, love my salads and fish including Salmon.

Cheers.

beaker59, Feb 13, 8:43pm
Salmon is also very good in island style raw fish. So is good trout for that matter.

indy95, Jul 5, 1:26am
Bumped for valentino's lovely recipe.

karenb7, Jul 5, 3:17am
Eat it raw, thinly sliced, dipped in Soy and Wasabi. Absolutely delicious .