Those Dang Cheese Rolls

Page 1 / 2
rainrain1, Apr 19, 7:05pm
ta da! The very latest award winning cheese roll recipe

JOY JONES' AWARDING WINNING CHEESE ROLL RECIPE

500g grated cheese (Mainland Mild Blend or Mild Cheddar)
1 tin Nestle Carnation evaporated milk
1 pkt Maggi onion soup mix
1 finely chopped onion
1 tsp mustard powder
1 cup cream

Heat in microwave for 6 mins, stirring in between time. Cool, spread lengthways on to long-cut white bread from Marlow's Bakery, South Dunedin. Roll into cheese rolls using 3 x folds.

fifie, Apr 19, 11:27pm
Yummo, sounds like a nice creamy mix rain rain, nearly time for cheese rolls and soup for winter.

rainrain1, Apr 20, 1:36am
Definitely a keeper I would say!

dibble35, Apr 20, 7:12am
I keep meaning to make these but havnt yet - recipes are always for large amounts, I'd be keen to take the 'extras' into work for everyone but we dont have an oven to warm them in

fifie, Apr 20, 9:53pm
Make a batch up and freeze. If you have flat bed panni press or Sammie maker cook them in that at work. They will come out a bit flatter, not the original rolls, spread some butter on outside when toasted taste just as good.

dibble35, Apr 23, 3:25am
That sounds like a wonderful idea, could just keep them in the freezer at work and use a few as we want them, have one of those flat toasted sandwich makers. Righto, might be my mission for monday. or maybe not, just remembered mum left me a banana cake in the freezer to take to everyone at work on tuesday. next week maybe.

awoftam, Apr 23, 6:13am
Yes, I must make these too. trouble is I'd eat too many of them lol

awoftam, Apr 23, 6:16am
A question for Cheese Roll professionals - does it matter if you use fresh bread or slightly stale bread? Does fresh bread make 'em not so crunchy?

timturtle, Apr 23, 8:26am
Fresh bread is better, makes it easier to roll. They are best grilled to get the crunch. I dont like them cooked in a sammie press it sort of softens them, u can toast them over a hotplate on a cake rack and they come out as if grilled. They are dam nice and heaps of butter after cooking

fifie, Apr 23, 9:17pm
dibble35 wrote:

That sounds like a wonderful idea, could just keep them in the freezer at work and use a few as we want them, have one of those flat toasted sandwich makers. Righto, might be my mission for monday. or maybe not, just remembered mum left me a banana cake in the freezer to take to everyone at work on tuesday. next week maybe.[/quote. Make them up throw them in a plastic bag, freeze in work freezer just take out what you want. Just be aware they arnt as crunchie in panni press as grilled in oven. Ask work if maybe you could all contribute or they may buy a bench top little oven with a grill lol, that could be used for reheating and the cheese rolls in winter.

awoftam, Apr 23, 11:03pm
Thanks! Will do a batch to have with hock soup be fab this winter.

nozzie007, Apr 28, 9:40am
I always double this recipe and it does about 4 loaves of sandwich bread. I freeze them in bags of 8 and cook them in my Breville health grill from frozen, only takes 3-4 minutes. It's a fab recipe, although sometimes I only use half an onion and I ALWAYS use tasty cheese.

gypsyrose1, Apr 28, 10:31am
What's wrong with just grated mild cheese. Like cheese roll is cheese roll. All that other junk disqualifies it from being called a cheese roll. Lagonda Tearooms in Oamaru actually labels their Rolls, Cheese Rolls and Cheese and Onion Rolls. Simple and effective.

karlymouse, Apr 28, 11:35am
Have spread hundreds of them in school fundraisers. just don't be stingy with the amount used.

neil_di, Apr 28, 11:50pm
And definitely use FRESH bread.Joy's recipe is the best !

awoftam, Apr 29, 6:46am
Was just reading through this thread again as I was wondering if peeps used tasty cheese - or if it was too oily (fatty). I never buy mild/colby 'normal' cheese - if I eat cheese I want to taste it - esp with soup. Wonder about a mix of tasty and mozzarella. tast-
y and stringy could be the go!

neil_di, Apr 29, 4:10pm
Definitely Tasty cheese.I think mozzarella would be wasted in this recipe.

woopooz, May 21, 6:46am
We have Cheese rolls in our house - a slice of cheese & roll in bread - anything else added would be called a savory cheese roll - according to my 87 yr. old neighbour.

ritebuy, May 23, 9:23am
we make ours just like fifi they really are the best

timturtle, May 23, 10:11am
The main thing as far as I'm concerned is they are grilled and toasted NOT steamed in a press. You need The crunch

timturtle, May 23, 10:12am
AND the butter spread on top after grilling

pauline999, May 23, 10:42pm
So looking at previous threads, is it Reduced Cream or Evaporated Milk I should use. or does it not matter flavour/texture wise?

rainrain1, May 24, 12:03am
Old thread, but here's another recipe which I like a lot.

1 pkt maggi onion soup mix, warmed with 1 cup of water over low heat.
Add 2 packed cups of grated cheese of your choice
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 to 1tsp curry powder
Spread all over slice of fresh unbuttered sandwich bread and fold twice.
Makes one loaf
Cook, and butter while hot

dibble35, May 26, 9:15pm
Make them up throw them in a plastic bag, freeze in work freezer just take out what you want. Just be aware they arnt as crunchie in panni press as grilled in oven. Ask work if maybe you could all contribute or they may buy a bench top little oven with a grill lol, that could be used for reheating and the cheese rolls in winter.[/quote]
Well the boss went out and bought us a little benchtop oven this past week. Yay! And the 5 or 6 regular staff have decided to take it in turns to make something for everyone else every wednesday for morning tea. so at least we can honestly tell the boss its being used and is much appreciated. So im off to buy the ingredients for these today, will make them over the weekend, have to try a few out of course.

homecomfitz, May 27, 7:06am
Does anyone have a recipe for these that doesn't include the Maggi onion soup mix?