Tried and true Ambrosia recipes?

b190, Dec 7, 8:13am
And does it keep in the fridge? Thanks in advance! I'm not a big dessert maker but have been told to bring something for Xmas day.

purplefalcon, Dec 7, 8:19am
Haven't tried this one but googled and this one came up http://m.newworld.co.nz/recipes/desserts/ambrosia/

b190, Dec 7, 8:25am
Thanks yes I've found that one on google too. Was hoping for some tried and true recipes from people, as there are so many different recipes.

bisloy, Dec 7, 8:54am
I make just a plain traditional easy-peasey one .
Whip 500ml cream to soft peaks. Fold through 1 litre of plain unsweetened yoghurt. Cut half a family bag of marshmallows in half. Drain a can of boysenberries. Fold all ingredients together. Leave them swirled, don't mix them too much. Cover and refridgerate until you are ready to eat. Stir and serve.
This can be made the day before. Drain the boysenberries into a sieve while you whip the cream and cut the marshmallows. Really really easy and super yummy!

blands70, Dec 7, 9:59am
I do more or less the same, but with a berry yoghurt and fresh berries. It's delicious. I usually try and make it on the day.

wheelz, Dec 7, 11:24am
For fruit, I use pineapple pieces and grapes( they don't go mushy like some ) along with marshmellos, a fruit flavoured yoghurt,whipped cream and just before serving I stir in halved pascal pineapple lumps and sprinkle toasted coconut over the top.
Fresh mango and passionfruit pulp is delightful too.

b190, Dec 7, 6:05pm
Yep that sounds like me! Yum, thanks!

xtownie, Dec 8, 5:13am
I add a packet of store bought crushed meringues just before serving to. Yum!

samsnan, Dec 8, 6:19am
I also sprinkle chocolate chips over before serving.

kiwitel, Dec 8, 6:36am
I make it on the day also as i often I use tinned drained berries and excess liquid pools at the bottom the next day.

kirmag, Dec 8, 11:21pm
Mum used to always soak the marshmellows in sherry, then add whipped cream. Done. Had it many times as a kid hahaha, and thought it was weird when I got older and people added fruit and yoghurt and no sherry.

evergreene, Dec 8, 11:31pm
Adding some fresh berries make a world of difference. Crushed meringues added just before serving add crunch.
It is one of the easiest and most delicious desserts there is so good choice!

samsnan, Dec 9, 4:01am
Just don't put grapes or pieces of Mandarin in it like some do.

earth_moon, Dec 13, 6:52pm
And. don't forget to add at least 2 chocolate flakes too. Just crumble them in your hands then stir gently through. Indeed - ambrosia is 'the food of the gods".

debudder, Dec 15, 7:46am
Mine is similar but I use a small pottle of boysenberry yoghurt and add 1/2 the marshmellows when I make it and the other 1/2 a couple of hours before serving

bisloy, Dec 18, 8:58am
I find the fruit yoghurt makes it a bit sweet (as does choc and meringue) I like the sour of the yoghurt the richness of the cream the sweet marshmallows and the burst of berry. But we all like it different.
I also make one with cream, custard and pineapple lumps .

mutley83, Dec 20, 2:25am
this also sounds good

kiwikittykat, Dec 20, 5:18am
A colleague made the sour cream version which was very nice. Beat 500g sour cream till creamy, add grapes, pineapple, strawberries, marshmallows. Halved pineapple lumps.

djsh, Dec 20, 6:58am
I add some chopped up milky bar or crumbled flake too

marcs, Nov 17, 5:42pm
I make it for kids all the time. I use sweetened yogurt (the not so sweet ones) any flavour, half the amount of thickened cream to yogurt or whip your cream. Gives it a lighter texture. You can then add almost any fruit you want. I keep away from citrus but kids love berries, apples, pears and mangoes. You need to add marshmallow or something similar to absorb some moisture.

Edited to say tastes best the next day.