Clotted Cream

uli, May 16, 10:32pm
I was just searching for a recipe to make clotted cream as we currently have lots of milk with lots of cream on top. The milk sits in the fridge for a day or two, at which stage the cream does get spooned off the top and goes into the fridge the rest is made into curds and the chickens get the curds and the pig mothers the whey.

I noticed that the cream is very thick and we have used it straight like butter on bread, potatoes and in sauces etc. I wonder if it is even worth "processing" it any further?

davidt4, May 16, 11:16pm
Here's the recipe I've used with ordinary Jersey milk. If your milk is lovely and rich you wouldn't need to add the butter. I think the heating of the cream changes the flavour a little, and helps it to keep longer.

Clotted Cream

750 ml double cream
25g butter
1 vanilla pod (optional)

Mix the cream and butter in a heavy pan and bring slowly to a simmer. Stir at a simmer for 8 minutes or until the volume has reduced by half. Add the vanilla towards the end of this process. Pour into a flat dish and leave to cool, refrigerate.

uli, May 17, 3:57am
Hi, thanks for that davidt4. I think I really do not need to simmer it down as it is already so thick, but I need to think how to make it last longer than a few days, so the heating may preserve it rather than thickening it . Since I do not pasteurize the milk or cream, it goes down to "cow udder taste" after about 3 days :)

I did a lovely cream yoghurt with a yoghurt starter which we had today for lunch on top of the first of (probably hundreds of) pumpkin soups in the next months.

Maybe I will also try to do a cultured butter - although I really do not like the "washing" process (I have wooden "hands").

I have bought home made butter in Turkey on the market often enough to know that you need to wash it for a LONG time if you want to keep it more than 2 or 3 days.

rainrain1, May 17, 5:36am
I can buy it of a pom dairy milker, no whinging though, she's the tops!

brajama, May 20, 7:03am
Hi, does anyone know of a realistic substitute for clotted cream, please. Or if it is a product under a different name, here. A lot of british recipes call for it, and I believe it can be purchased in some of the big city supermarkets and speciality shops. am 5 hrs from a big city, so not do-able for me, unless I am up there passing through. Thanks for any help.

duckmoon, May 20, 9:02am
You can make your own clotted cream.
Google will help you with a recipe

kiwitrish, May 20, 10:20pm
I know that New World sell it and I also get it from Union Jacks whic is a UK foods store online. They deliver it.

brajama, May 20, 10:55pm
Thankyou, Duckmoon. I did find a recipe on Google, so will give it a go.
Also, thanks to you, Kiwitrish. our local New Worlds don't sell it, or not that I have seen. Certainly the Deli staff had no idea what it even was. Am guessing only the bigger NW's carry it. Will have a look at the Union Jack's, as you suggested. Thanks again, hope this lovely weather is at your hometowns, too.

dragonzflame, May 22, 12:14am
Marscapone?

sarahb5, May 22, 12:29am
Clearwaters make it and you can buy online or at bigger New Worlds http://www.ecofoods.co.nz/

village.green, May 24, 9:23pm
The Clearwater one is quite nice however nothing compares to British clotted cream - I don't know why it's not the same. Yes whingeing pom here lol! I tried to make it once and it wasn't very good, I probably did something very wrong, however I can make feta and halloumi quite well with local raw milk.

davidt4, Sep 21, 4:08pm
I agree about the Clearwater's clotted cream. The texture is good but it doesn't have the right flavour. I don't think they mature the cream.

For a substitute I would make mascarpone and drain it a bit longer than usual to get a really thick texture.