Rice Risotto

dolphin19, Jun 15, 12:51am
Has anyone got any nice recipes that they have tried. I did google it but the recipes didn't sound very tasty to me.

TIA

buzzy110, Jun 15, 1:27am
Can you post an example of what you thought didn't sound very 'tasty'? That way we'd know for certain if what we do is not what you want.

In the meantime rissotto is made the same basic way every time which will probably be reflected in the recipes you have read. The more intensely flavoured rissottos are made with really good homemade stocks.

dolphin19, Jun 15, 1:39am
Sorry, I'm not very good at explaining lol.
Yes, most of the recipes were the basic, rice, wine,stock, parmesan and butter. I guess I was meaning the different veges etc that could be added. I don't have many mushrooms so had to rule that out.

Hope that helps :-)

davidt4, Jun 15, 1:39am
I’m not entirely clear about what you mean. Do you mean Italian risotto, made from scratch, or do you mean “rice risotto” that used to be sold in packets complete with artificial flavourings ?

If the former, do you know how to make chicken stock? As Buzzy said, you need it to make a tasty risotto. You will also need the right kind of rice: Arborio or Carnaroli are two kinds that are suitable and readily available.

davidt4, Jun 15, 1:53am
Here's a simple lemon risotto, which is really delicious if you use top quality ingredients, especially the parmesan.

Lemon Risotto

1 tab olive oil,
1 small onion or shallot finely chopped,
2 cloves garlic finely chopped,
1 c Arborio or Carnaroli rice,
1/4 dry white wine,
3 c homemade chicken stock,
1/2 tsp salt,
zest and juice 1 large lemon,
1/2 c freshly grated parmesan,
30 g butter.

Heat stock to a simmer, meanwhile in a large pan over medium heat cook the oil, onion and garlic 5 min until softened but not brown. Add rice and stir 5 minutes.

Add wine and stir until all liquid evaporated. Add salt and start adding stock 1/2 c at a time, stirring constantly until each addition is almost absorbed. This should take about 20 minutes and at the end the rice should be just tender and most liquid gone.

Take off heat and stir in zest, juice, parmesan and butter, leave to settle 5 minutes, stir again and serve hot. If you need more liquid add a little hot water. The end result should be creamy and loose, not stodgy and not runny.

dolphin19, Jun 15, 1:58am
Hi davidt4,
I'm meaning the one you make from scratch (I've never made it before). Yes, I know about the stock, and I bought the Arborio rice yesterday.
I had a really nice homemade risotto with pumpkin in it years ago but don't know how to re-create it. Or what else I could add to the basic risotto.

dolphin19, Jun 15, 2:20am
Oh thanks davidt4, I didn't see your post before. That recipe sounds yum.

davidt4, Jun 15, 2:25am
You could add small pieces of raw pumpkin when you start putting the stock in. Other vegetables which work well are peas, broad beans, spinach (add at the end), mushrooms and cooked chick peas. Don't add too much of anything as the risotto is principally about the rice and stock, and in Italy it is eaten as a first course, not a main.

sarahb5, Jun 15, 7:38am
Countdown has a pumpkin risotto recipe on its website

https://www.countdown.co.nz/recipes/1401/pumpkin-risotto

sarahb5, Jun 15, 7:40am
I have made this one (or a variation of it) when local asparagus is in season

https://www.countdown.co.nz/recipes/2145/asparagus-and-pea-risotto

dolphin19, Jun 15, 10:15am
Thanks sarahb5, have saved those recipes.

I made the one that davidt4 gave me and used shrimps and peas. It turned out great (Thanks David). It has given me more confidence to make it again.

grouch, Jun 16, 4:05am
I have made rissotto before with pumpkin and its lovely.

grouch, Jun 16, 4:18am
Heres a quick recipe that I use.
5 tbsps butter, 1 onion 1 ltre hot chicken stock, 1 cup peas, parmesan cheese, 75g bacon 250g arborio rice
Melt 3 tbsp butter and fry off onion and bacon until soft. Add rice and stir then add hot stock and another stir then put the lid on and cook for around 15 mins or until the rice is soft. Add the peas and cook for a further 2 to 3 mins. Lastly add plenty of parmesan and another 1 to 2 tbsp of butter.

This is quick and easy. I vary it and leave out the bacon and bake some pumpkin and thats nice or add the bacon and mushrooms.

samanya, Jun 16, 5:50am
I make a similar recipe to yours & I like the flavours . mine has sage included & like you, I sometimes add other things, like a little garlic, lemon juice & zest, pumpkin & parsley . may not be all that 'authentic' but it tastes good & is simple to make.
I made a heap of chicken stock today so I'm making it for dinner tonight . this thread inspired me, when I was wondering what to have.

grouch, Jun 16, 6:05am
I think you cant beat a tasty rissotto as theres so many different things you can add. Its quick and easy and with plenty of parmesan and butter its a good comfort food.

bella95, Jun 17, 2:38pm
I cheat by putting smallish cubes of pumpkin in the stock and cooking it while l'm making the risotto. When the risotto is almost ready l lift out the pumpkin, mash it and stir it through the risotto. I try and judge it so that l use all the stock so none of the pumpkin flavour and goodness is wasted.
The proper way of doing it is to use roasted pumpkin and stir that through. The flavour IS better but not better enough (sic) that l'll turn the oven on especially to roast it. I do roast extra pumpkin if l'm roasting something and put it in the freezer for later though. In Italy you could buy pre roasted pumpkin from your local grocer.

buzzy110, Jun 18, 4:57am
Ray McVinnie had a brilliant looking risotto recipe in today's Bite Magazine:

NO-STIR PANCETTA and PEA RISOTTO
iNGREDIENTS:
1Tblspn EV Olive Oil
1 Onion - Finely chopped
1 small Carrot - Diced 1cm
3 Cloves Garlic, finely diced
125g Pancetta - Diced 1cm
Zest 1 Lemon
1½ cups Ferron Carnaroli Rice
150mls White Wine
4½ cups Chicken Stock - brought to the boil in a pot
1½ cups Frozen Peas - Thawed
2Tblspns Butter
Freshly grated Parmesan for serving

METHOD:
1. Heat oil in a deep frtying pan over moderate heat and add the onion, carrot, garlic, pancetta and zest and fry gently for 10mins without browning or until onion is soft

2. Add the rice and stir-fry for a further 2-3 mins

3. Add the wine and let it bubble until almost evaporated

4. Add the hot stock, mix well and bring to the boil. Cover and boil gently for 15mins or until the mixture is thick and creamy

5. Remove from the heat and add the peas and beat in the butter

6. Taste and season

7. Serve sprinkled with plenty of parmesan

samanya, Aug 23, 10:44am
That's very similar to my favourite 'go to' risotto & it really is delicious.