Gluten free pastry,profiteroles,Christmas cake etc

edlin, Oct 22, 7:42pm
Can anyone please help with recipes for the above plus any other Christmassy GF recipe ideas please? Someone who needs to follow a GF diet is coming for two weeks over Christmas,New Year and two family birthdays so don't want her to miss out on all the festive food. Any attempts at GF pastry have been big failures in the past. Would love to make Christmas Mince pies,tart cases,profiteroles etc. that are edible.

valentino, Oct 22, 8:24pm
To kick start things for you, look at the following links for GF recipes.

I too have been looking for various ideas re GF but not yet up to full speed on this.

http://www.bite.co.nz/collections/1122/Glutenfree-baking/ Leads to http://www.bite.co.nz/collections/2111/Glutenfree-desserts/
http://www.bite.co.nz/collections/2292/Glutenfree-sweets/ http://www.bite.co.nz/collections/1480/Glutenfree-breakfasts/
Plus others.
http://www.newworld.co.nz/recipes/gluten-free/gf-christmas-cake/ https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/gluten-free-christmas-cake/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/gluten-free_christmas_recipes for Profiteroles.
http://mellymaks.blogspot.co.nz/2012/07/gluten-free-profiteroles-with-or.html
and some in this other collection.
https://www.jamieoliver.com/christmas/collection/baking/

Generally use GF Flours, and other ingredients instead of normal .

There are some posters here who only bake GF and hopefully they will post.

Cheers and all the best.

cgvl, Oct 22, 8:37pm
edlin you can buy Gluten free pastry. I haven't used it personally but you could also have a look at rice paper which in general is also Gluten free.

I use the following for all my biscuits, cakes and basic baking. It isn't suitable for making sauces and I haven't as yet attempted to make profiteroles with it.
This book: GF Cookies by Luane Kohnke has a substitute recipe for flour.
Replace 1 cup wheat flour with the following:
2/3rds cup rice flour
3Tbsp potato starch (not flour)
1Tbsp plus 3tsp of Arrowroot/Tapioca flour
¼ cup Almond flour/ ground/meal
¼ tsp xnathan gum or guar gum or leave out altogether

If you double or quadruple this mix you can use less of the gum. Xanthan gum is expensive guar gum is cheaper by far.
Hope that helps. you can use other flours but this mix is the most consistent I have found.

edlin, Oct 22, 9:03pm
Thanks so much. A lot of ideas to try and perfect before Christmas. I will try the profiteroles first and freeze them if they work out. Thank you both so much

valentino, Oct 22, 9:06pm
This is nice, nicer as a loaf style with those lovely white stars on top standing on a point of the star.

Gluten-free fruit cake
Ingredients

375 g mixed dried fruit
125 g dried apricots, finely chopped
1/2 cup brandy
150 g butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
3/4 cup rice flour
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tbsp gluten-free icing sugar
250 g packet gluten-free marzipan
4 pieces thin florist wire, snipped into thirds

1. Combine fruit and brandy in a large bowl. Cover with plastic food wrap; stand overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 150°C (180°C fan-forced). Grease and line a 19x9cm (base measurement) loaf pan with 2 layers baking paper, extending paper at long sides for handles.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and caster sugar in a small bowl until light and creamy. Beat in eggs, one by one, until combined.
4. Add butter mixture to fruit mixture; stir to combine. Stir in almond meal, sifted rice flour, baking powder and mixed spice.
5. Spoon mixture into prepared pan: smooth surface. Bake for 2 hours or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean. Cover pan tightly with foil. Cool overnight.
6. On a workbench dusted with half the icing sugar, knead marzipan until smooth. Roll out to 4mm thick. Using star cutters, cut out 3 x 7cm stars, 3 x 4cm stars and 3 x 8cm stars. Thread stars onto wire. Set overnight.
7. Dust cake with remaining icing sugar. Arrange stars on top of cake.

eljayv, Oct 23, 2:32am
Cream puffs or eclairs

Gluten-free Cream Puffs
★★★★
Gluten free baking
INGREDIENTS

2/3 cup (107 g) white rice flour
1/3 cup (68 g) sweet rice flour
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) xanthan gum
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
1 cup (250 ml) water
1/2 cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
4 large eggs, room temperature
DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the white rice flour, sweet rice flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, bring the water and butter to a boil. Once they have reached a boil, pour all of the dry ingredients in at once, and stir with a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients are completely incorporated, and the mixture looks similar to play dough.
Place hot dough into a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed for a minute or two to cool the dough down a bit. With the mixer on medium speed, add one egg at a time. Beat dough until the egg is completely incorporated before adding the next one. When you add an egg, the dough will look like it breaks apart, but keep mixing it until it comes back together again. Repeat until all 4 eggs have been added.
Mix on medium-high speed for 1 minute, until the dough is smooth.
I use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to place the dough onto prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2-inches between cream puffs. You can use your fingers, dipped in water, to help smooth the tops of the cream puffs before baking.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven, open the door, and pierce each cream puff with a sharp knife. This will help any steam trapped inside them to escape, giving a nice crisp cream puff. Leave the cream puffs in the oven, with the door open a few inches, until the oven has cooled completely.
Once cream puffs have completely cooled, fill them with a sweet or savory filling. They are best served the same day, but can be stored in an air tight container. To crisp unfilled cream puffs again, place in a 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes.
Notes
The Pâte à Choux can be frozen to use later. Spoon the dough onto a wax paper lined baking sheet and place in the freezer. Once they are frozen, store in a zipper seal freezer bag. To bake, place frozen dough onto parchment lined baking pan, and let come to room temperature before baking (about 15 minutes). Bake the same way you would if you were baking immediately.

You can also use a piping bag, or a heavy plastic bag with the corner cut off, to pipe the dough onto the parchment paper.

Sent from Paprika Recipe Manager

eljayv, Oct 23, 2:35am
This using bought gf flour or as it states just sweet rice flour

Cream puffs gluten free
INGREDIENTS

Gluten Free Pate a Choux Recipe
Ingredients
1 cup water
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1 pinch kosher or fine sea salt
1 cup pastry quality gluten-free flour
4 large eggs
these can be made using just sweet rice flour
DIRECTIONS

Directions

Assemble ingredients before starting. Break the eggs into a liquid measuring cup or spouted pitcher. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.

Place the water, butter and salt in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer. Add the flour all at once and stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a thick dough. Continue to cook while stirring for about 1 minute.

Dump the dough into the bowl of an electric mixer preferably fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds to cool the dough slightly. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. After all the eggs have been added continue to mix, increasing the speed to medium-high, until the dough is smooth, thick and shiny, about 2 or 3 minutes.

Pipe the dough onto the prepared baking sheets in mounds or logs or use an ice cream scoop to scoop out the batter, spacing about 1 inch apart. If piping, moisten a finger with water and res down the peaks so they don’t burn.

Bake for 10 minutes, turn the oven temperature down to 350 and bake for another 30 – 35 minutes depending on the size, or until the dough has risen and is golden brown and the cream puff has a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom. Turn off the oven and leave the puffs in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and pierce the side of each puff with a sharp knife to let the steam escape. Let cool.

Sent from Paprika Recipe Manager

R

norse_westie, Oct 23, 11:12pm
TBH if its just one person I would simply buy a few things. If the guest is coeliac rather than just gluten free you would need to be very very careful baking things yourself. Much of your mixing/cutting/baking things will be contaminated and be unsafe to use. There is no way I would allow my kids to eat GF food made by a non-coeliac aware person no matter how kind the thought.

cgvl, Oct 24, 12:04am
Agree norse-westie. I wash all my baking stuff in very hot water before doing GF stuff, including my benches and then disinfecting them. I also let the people know that I have attempted to be as safe as I can possibly be, if they don't wish to eat what I have prepared then that is fine too.

edlin, Oct 24, 12:40am
The person is my daughter who lives in another town. She is not actually coeliac (or hasn't been diagnosed as such) but does have nasty reactions if she has any gluten. I have not caused her to have any reactions over the years so I must be taking all the right precautions,thank goodness. Sometimes after eating in a restaurant she has had problems but not very often these days now that people are much more aware. She can cope without baked goods but it is Christmas so don't want her to miss out. Her sister is making GF brandy snaps which she is looking forward to and she likes my lemon cheesecake with a base made from Countdown's GF gingernuts. I might resort to buying GF mince pies rather than attempting pastry with GF flour which always tastes horrible. Thanks for everyone's help. Merry Christmas,well less than 9 weeks to go!

norse_westie, Dec 11, 9:09pm
Well done on keeping your daughter safe.

At Christmas I buy a GF xmas pudding (as only 3 of us eat it), and mince pies. I make brandy snaps (easy), a chocolate cake and a pavlova. That with some beautiful fresh fruit salad is enough for our lot. I've attempted GF pastry in the past, and even bought some, but to be honest none has ever stacked up.