Seeking: super moist, non-mud cake chocolate cake

nauru, Nov 5, 6:17am
I agree, this recipe is a winner, so quick and easy and now my go to choccky cake too. I have even added grated zucchini to it for a change with great results.

nauru, Nov 5, 6:21am
I agree, this recipe is a winner, so quick and easy and now my go to choccky cake too. I have even added grated zucchini or carrot to it for a change with great results and my grandies don't know there are veges within.

tinkagirl, Nov 5, 10:33pm
This is a good question. I have never used Zucchini in any recipe so I googled it. Most recipes don't say but I did find this in one recipe

"Set the shredded zucchini to drain in a sieve over a bowl. If no moisture drains out and the zucchini feels dry, sprinkle some water over it and let the excess drain."

bluetigerrr, Feb 20, 7:36am
I've looked at chocolate cake posts here . but I have a very specific request. I need a not-too-sweet, super moist, doesn't need icing, NON-MUD cake chocolate cake recipe. Does anyone have one of these? I definitely don't want a fudgey cake type mud cake recipe. If you could help I'd be so grateful - thanks a lot :)

rebecca18, Feb 21, 4:03am
I have 2 chocolate cake recipes that I highly recommend, each quite different from the other:

DECADENT FRENCH CHOCOLATE CAKE (stupendously good, the best!)
(Recipe sourced from “The Chocolate Cookbook” by Christine France)

Ingredients:
250g Nestle Dark Cooking Chocolate
225g unsalted butter
½ cup (scant) sugar
2 TBSP cointreau and zest of ½ orange
5 Eggs
1 TBSP plain flour

Method:
Generously grease a spring form tin and line the base with non-stick paper and grease.
Wrap bottom and sides of tin with foil to prevent water from getting into cake.
Put chocolate, butter and sugar into a saucepan over a low heat until melted.
Remove from heat and cool slightly and add the liqueur and orange zest.
In a large bowl beat the eggs lightly for a minute. Beat in the flour then slowly beat in the chocolate mix until well blended.
Pour into tin and place in a large roasting pan. Add enough boiling water to come 2cm up the side of the tin.
Bake for 25-30mins at 180c until edge of cake is set but centre is still a little soft.
Remove from the roasting dish and remove the foil. Cool on a wire rack (the cake can sink in the middle and slim down).
When cooled, remove the side of the tin and turn the cake onto a serving plate so base is the top.
Place strips of paper over cake and dust with icing sugar (remove strips carefully).

ZUCCHINI CHOCOLATE CAKE
125g butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup raw sugar
3 eggs
21/2 cups flour
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1/2 plain yogurt
1/4 cup cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups grated zucchini

Line a 25cm square pan. Beat butter and sugars until light and creamy (don’t hurry this step). Beat in eggs, one at a time, adding a spoonful of the flour with each addition. Add vanilla and yogurt and mix well. Sift dry ingredients together and using a wooden spoon, partly combine with the egg mixture. Then add zucchini. Do not overmix. Turn mixture into the prepared pan and bake at 170C for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean from the centre of the cake.

dibble35, Feb 21, 4:05am
+1 for the zucchini choc cake recipe. I keep making it over summer and its so good, keeps for awhile and stays moist

davidt4, Feb 21, 5:04am
This is my favourite, it is dense and moist and also gluten-free (if your cocoa is gluten-free).

Chocolate Almond Fudge Cake

Serves 15 – 20

250g butter
250g dark chocolate
3 tab bourbon
8 eggs
250g sugar
250g ground almonds
2 tab cocoa

Melt butter & chocolate, cool and add bourbon.

Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick

Sift almonds and cocoa and add to yolks. Fold in chocolate mixture.

Beat egg whites to firm peaks and fold in.

Bake in lined 23cm tin 180 C 45 – 55 min. Cool in tin, keep in fridge.

bluetigerrr, Feb 21, 8:04am
Awww . many thanks rebecca18 and davidt4 for your rather fascinating and exquisite sounding chocolate recipes! And also for your comment dibble35. I haven't tasted zuccini in a cake yet so even though I'm searching for these recipes on my daughter's behalf, I think I'll give that one a go myself. I really appreciate the descriptions with the recipes so have sent them on with all the commentary :) Once again, thanks a lot.

bev00, Feb 21, 8:20am
these sound divine.

amasser, Feb 21, 8:28am
Eggless Sponge, which is an old recipe, was moist and chocolate. Can't locate recipe though.

dibble35, Feb 21, 6:47pm
To Be honest you wouldnt know it had zucchini in it except for the occasional fleck of green. It does keep it nice and fresh/moist though and is one of the nicer choc cakes ive made. I love the thought of my nephews and nieces eating a vege whilst they are enjoying a choccie treat, makes me laugh quietly to myself

mjhdeal, Feb 21, 7:29pm
I have this one several times and it is excellent, and very moist.

http://www.petite-kitchen.com/2012/11/boiled-orange-chocolate-cake.html

marcs, Feb 23, 4:25pm
this is an old recipe posted on here by boatboy. It is dark and moist and not fudgy or at least I don't think it is. Rather a slightly fudgy cake than a dry chocolate cake. Yes it contains sugar but you have to remember it also has a lot of cocoa which will make it bitter if you don't balance it out.

Chocolate Cake
2 cups Sugar
1/2 cup Oil
2 Eggs
1 3/4 cups Flour
3/4 cup Cocoa
1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
1 cup Milk
2 tsp Vanilla essence
1 cup boiling hot water
1 TBS instant coffee

Procedure

1. Line a 20cm tin. Oven at 180c
2. Mix together sugar oil and egg. Sift in dry ingredients and add milk and vanilla and beat
3. Add 1 cup boiling water. Can add 1 tbs of instant coffee to water then add to cake.
4. Will be really runny, don't panic.
5. hour and half depending on your oven and size of tin you use. I use a deep 20cm tin however a 23cm tin will take an hour to bake.
6. Cool completely before eating. Best eaten the next day. Ice with chocolate icing if prefered.

sarahb5, Feb 23, 6:39pm
My go-to birthday cake recipe for the last 12 or 13 years - it's delicious and not overly sweet, very chocolatey

strowan1, Mar 2, 12:30am
Rebecca, I made your Zucchini Chocolate Cake this morning, and its absolutely delicious.
Have made several over the years on this theme with ho hum results. Thank you for sharing, this recipes a real keeper, sure to become a favourite in our family.

wildflower, Mar 2, 2:22am
I only ever make Nici Wickes quinoa chocolate cake, it's sweetened with only dates and prunes and has an optional icing I've never done as it's just not needed. It uses cooked quinoa which keeps it super soft and moist. I cut back the cocoa/cacao though as it's a bit rich with 6 heaped T's!

I tried searching for it online for the link but no luck so far.

valentino, Mar 2, 2:56am
I cannot do enough of this ne, everyone raves on about it either fresh at room temp or chilled in the fridge, and it keeps too.

Chocolate and Guinness Cake with Choc Ganache

Ingredients:
¾ cup Guinness Stout (Foam not included when measuring)
1 ¼ teaspoon Instant Expresso Coffee
¼ cup water
210 grams butter chopped
Either 200/250 grams Whitakers Rum’N’Raisins 50% Chocolate chopped or
Alternatively, 200/250 grams very dark chocolate (60% or 72% is ideal) and ¼ cup raisins chopped together, I love it with just the whole slab regardless of size.

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
Just over ¾ cup brown sugar
Heaped cup castor sugar

2 large eggs size 8
¾ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract ( not essence).

For the Ganache;
200 mil cream
2 tablespoons butter
230 grams dark chocolate chopped small.

Now the baking tin needs to be 24cm Ring type fully greased throughout then a piece of baking paper cut to fit bottom of tin plus a strip of baking paper to cover the inside outer wall of tin plus another piece for the middle inner wall – all to be greased.
Place outside paper in plus inner middle piece then the bottom piece to overlap the edges of other pieces.
Reason is that this cake can stick to surfaces if not prepared fully, a warning.
One can greased and flour all but paper is best.

Preheat Oven to 160C.
Put first 4 ingredients into saucepan over medium/low heat and stir to melt butter, do not allow to boil.
Remove from heat and stir in the chopped very dark chocolate until melted.
Cool.

In a Bowl sift flour, soda and salt.
Add both sugars and combine all dry ingredients thoroughly.

In another bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract then whisk in the cooled Guinness mixture.
Add the dry ingredients in batches, whisking until combined after each addition and ensuring flour at least is mixed in fully.

Pour the cake mixture into the fully greased – lined baking ring tin.
Bake for 50 to 75 minutes checking at regular intervals from 45 minutes with a skewer until it comes out clean and rotating tin for evenness of baking.
Some ovens vary greatly in time but slow low bake is required.
Cool the cake for at least 15 minutes.
Place a cooling rack over the tin and invert the cake onto it. Note the hint below.

Ganache;
Put cream and butter into saucepan and heat until just below boiling point.
Remove from heat add chocolate and stir until melted and all is smooth in texture.
Leave for a few minutes until it starts to thicken.
Place the cake on a large serving dish by inverting cake from rack.
Slowly pour over the Choc Ganache evenly all over the cake, allowing excess to drip or run down all sides.
Allow to set completely cooled, can be refrigerated.

Hint, best to have all excess choc welled inside the middle of cake rather than spilling over the outside edge of cake, dish edge and onto the work place surface.

Another hint; before inverting cake, spread a coating of ganache over top of cake, cut a piece of baking paper plus an extra cm overhang, allow the choc to set a little then flip or invert the cake onto a dish. Once cake ganache is fully set – remove the paper somehow before slicing otherwise paper could make taking a slice out trickier.

This is very yummy, nice wee treat as well.

P.S. Buy a Whitaker block plus a Nestles Dark Bloc, what is left over from Whitakers use in Ganache to bring amount of Choc up to recommended amount plus.

Also, whilst choc still in wrapping, smash or bang it down onto a workbench a few times to break into smaller bits then take out of wrapping.

eljayv, Mar 2, 4:13am
Do you drain the liquid from the grated zucchini before adding to mix ?

strowan1, Mar 2, 6:52pm
When I made this yesterday I did squeeze about a third of the grated zucchini to drain some of the liquid. I also used the finest side on a box grater. Hope this helps.

stunner, Mar 3, 10:17pm
Chelsea Winter's Crazy Italian Chocolate Cake from her Scrumptious book, so quick and easy to make and absolutely delicious!

bisloy, Mar 10, 10:41am
I got a recipe for a super moist and light chocolate cake from the message board made with oil and coke. It was really lovely and so easy to make. Will hunt it down for you. tomorrow.

seaspray1, Dec 6, 7:03pm
2nd vote for this one with the bonus of it being egg and dairy free. It's my "go to" chocolate cake these days.