Tasty yummy beef casserole in the slow cooker!?

sarahw2, Jun 9, 5:46am
Please!
Everytime I do one, it's tasteless and just not nice.
I use chuck and blade steak (homekill) so it's beautiful meat, just don't know what I am doing wrong!
Any help much appreciated, thank you.

karlymouse, Jun 9, 6:05am
Sorry I can't help. every slow cooker casserole I have ever tasted (my own or others) the meat is awful. as you described. I prefer a casserole done in an oven not a slow cooker.

petal1955, Jun 9, 6:17am
Try this

Slow Cooked Mongolian Beef

750 grms stweing beef
1/4 cup cornflour
2 tablesppons of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
2 cloves of garlic crushed
3/4 cup soya sauce3/4 cup water
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup grated carrots

Cut meat into strip (like stroganoff) and place in a bag with the cornflour shake well to coat the meat in the cornflour.
Add the olive oil. garlic.soya sauce. water and brown sugar and carrots to the slow cooker. Stir well then add the meat and stir again. until its couated in the sauce

Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-5 hours and is cooke dand tender. Serve over rice and with a green veg.

Enjoy

wendalls, Jun 9, 8:45am
I would think that the meat and vege need to be browned first to get yummy flavours. The liquid amount needs to be just right and the cooker needs to cook for the right amount of time ie not dry and overdone. Some slow cookers cook too hot for too long I reckon and they spoil the beef. Also maybe fat and meat on the bone add to the taste and texture. I find better control of cooking conditions for beef in a pot on the stove these days.

kay34, Jun 9, 10:05am
Chelsea Winters beef curry can be done in the slow cooker, and it is AMAZE BALLS, seriously good.

sarahw2, Jun 9, 10:22am
Awesome. Thanks so much for your help!

nauru, Jun 9, 10:43am
Hi, This is a nice recipe (we like it anyway) that I have made on numerous occasions and is equally as nice made with beef instead of venison. It's from AH crockpot book. I have also used dried herbs instead of fresh and made it with venison sauseages cut into chunks before browning. I have also cooked it on high for 3-4 hours if time has been short.

800g diced venison
¼ cup plain flour
3 tablsp oil
2 medium onions - sliced
200g button mushrooms - halved
1 cup red wine
2 medium carrots 2 sprig rosemary
4 sprigs thyme
½ teasp each salt & pepper
Chopped Parsley to garnish

Turn CP to high and to heat while preparing ingredients.
Place all meat in a bowl with flour and toss until well coated. Add 2 T oil to large pan over med heat and add floured meat (do this in two batches) and brown slightly. Transfer browned meat to CP.
Add remaining oil to pan, add halved mushrooms and onion, stir occasionally until onion has softened. Pour in wine and deglaze pan, transfer contents to CP.
Cut carrots into chunks and add to CP with herbs, salt & pepper. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours until venison is tender. Check seasoning, garnish with chopped parsley and serve with buttered mashed potatoes.

jan2242, Jun 9, 10:44pm
Made on yesterday - blade steak, onions, celery, beef stock, worc. sauce, tin of tomatoes, thyme, s & p. Nothing else and was divine.

rop, Jun 10, 3:54am
I think mine tastes pretty good. Diced meat, garlic, onions, celery and carrot, tinned crushed tomatoes (and maybe a bit of tomato paste), beef stock, bit of red wine if you have it, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook until meat is tender and sauce is thick and delicious. Finish it with a splash of Worcester sauce. Serve on mashed potatoes.

rainrain1, Jun 10, 10:44pm

autumnwinds, Jun 12, 11:48am
** bumps another "from scratch" slow cooker thread **

mrsvonflik, Jun 12, 8:26pm
I always coat meat in flour salt n pepper and brown meat in fry pan.I think it makes it tastier.

mecanix, Jun 13, 7:48am
Brown your meat in bacon fat.

As for a recipe.

Not really needed. Its a stew.

I dont use a slow cooker at all.

sarahb5, Jun 14, 9:11am
Slow cooker needs lots and lots of seasoning

patsy3, Aug 28, 6:14pm
Phew! I thought I was the only one. The only thing nice I've had out of one is mulled wine. lol