Aple crumble

blans, Sep 29, 7:17am
I dont have rolled oats so how would scrunched up weetbix go for the topping instead of.

245sam, Sep 29, 7:30am
blans, I have never used Weet-bix in a crumble topping but as an alternative you might like to try my elderly Mum's very popular topping for Apple Crumble - even the usually no-dessert members of the family line up for this one.

NANA’S CRUMBLE TOPPING
85g butter
55g sugar
vanilla essence
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar, then beat in the vanilla essence. Add the flour and baking powder and mix to form a crumbly mixture.

The baking powder is added to simply lighten the mixture, not to make it cake-like or 'sure-to-rise'!

Hope that helps. :-))

blans, Sep 29, 7:53am
[I will be using 6 or 8 apples, will this be enough or maybe double it.

NANA’S CRUMBLE TOPPING
85g butter
55g sugar
vanilla essence
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar, then beat in the vanilla essence. Add the flour and baking powder and mix to form a crumbly mixture.

The baking powder is added to simply lighten the mixture, not to make it cake-like or 'sure-to-rise'!

Hope that helps. :-))[/quote]

245sam, Sep 29, 8:07am
blans, it really depends on the size of your dish, the depth of crumble topping you prefer and how many people you are serving. I would probably double the topping quantities and if you have any leftover, the uncooked crumble topping mixture could be frozen for next time. Hope you and yours enjoy it. :-))

keeley4, Oct 7, 1:10am
Does anyone have a bulk crumble recipe? I used to have one years ago but seem to have lost it. It had rolled oats in it and you made quite a big quantity and put in a bag in the freezer. You then took out a cup at a time (to put over the fruit) when you wanted to make a crumble. I would love to make it again.

245sam, Oct 7, 3:44am
keeley4, I don't have a bulk recipe as such however I simply multiply the quantities in the following recipe by however many times I need to, to get the quantity I want to have on hand in the freezer.

½ cup each of plain flour and rolled oats
¼ cup sugar of choice - I prefer raw but brown or white are ok too
50g cold butter, cubed

I mix the above in the food processor, then store the bulk quantity in an icecream container in the freezer.

Hope that helps. :-))

sue62, Oct 8, 7:27am
I made this tonight and it was wonderful. Lovely crisp crumble. This will be my go to recipe for crumble from now on.

harrislucinda, Dec 9, 10:08pm
just made this tonight best ever from now on this is how i will make crumble