What to do with a too strong blue cheese

Page 1 / 2
kclu, May 13, 4:42am
Have used on top of a steak but any other ideas. Too expensive and wasteful to just toss out.

lythande1, May 13, 4:50am
Eat it. With crackers. Mmmmm.

davidt4, May 13, 4:51am
Make a blue cheese butter - add an equal quantity of good quality unsalted butter and combine thoroughly. A spoonful of brandy is a nice addition too. Serve with crackers or on top of a steak or with fried potatoes.

It's important that the butter is unsalted, if not the spread will be too salty.

jonnythecat, May 13, 4:55am
Blue cheese sauce on vegetables or a dip?

herself, May 13, 6:19am
Blue cheese butter on gingerbread is delicious.

wasala, May 13, 6:19am
Stir it through carrot or cauliflower soup. Yum!

nauru, May 13, 6:25am
Great added to brocooli soup too, one of my faves.

awoftam, May 13, 8:12am
drizzle it with honey. and serve with pears or figs etc as an appetiser beside some crusty crunchy bread. Delicious.

lilyfield, May 13, 9:07am
I have never found a cheese too strong .they do not exist !

huntlygirl, May 13, 9:13am
Broccoli and blue cheese muffins. l can't stand the stuff but my wee girl has loved it since she was 10 months old.

duckmoon, May 13, 9:28am
Broccoli and blue cheese soup.
Don't use too much, perhaps add some other cheese which isn't as strong

ruby19, May 13, 10:10am
You can freeze and grate into sauces etc.

rainrain1, May 14, 7:19pm
Blue Cheese Dip or spread.
1/2 cup walnuts chopped
4 oz blue cheese
4 oz cream cheese
salt and freshly ground pepper
mix all ingredients and serve with crackers.

norse_westie, May 15, 2:28am
Crumble small amounts into a pear and walnut salad.

I have to agree with above poster though that there is no such thing as a too strong blue cheese. God I love it.

sla11, May 15, 3:32am
Duckmoon - muffins sound yummy!

jobb, May 15, 5:41am
I find eating it straight is too strong for me, but if it is cooked in something it becomes easier to digest.

shakirafan, May 15, 7:48am
Melted into a pot of butternut or pumpkin soup.

Delicious.

kay141, May 15, 8:19am
Me, either, but I have found many too mild or tasteless.

bella95, May 15, 8:52am
This. It's one of my favourite recipes. Very filling so l'd eat it as a main with just salad to follow. PS the blue doesnt have to be particularly mild as it's a small portion of the whole meal.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/four-cheese-pasta-sauce-2018453

figjamto, May 16, 3:26am
Blue cheese would never be too strong for me . yum . and so is this

Blue Cheese and Port Pate

350g Cream Cheese
60g Unsalted Butter
1/3 Cup of Port
300g Blue Cheese (mashed)
1 Tbs Chopped Chives
1/2 Cup of Walnuts

Beat Cream Cheese and Butter together until smooth with electric mixer, stir in Port, Blue Cheese and chopped Chives, shape and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 3 - 4 hours, decorate with walnuts

kclu, May 21, 4:49am
Thank you all. Had forgotten about adding it to soups and will try some of the others too. Lucky you if you can enjoy the really strong stuff.

samanya, May 21, 5:17am
I got this recipe (or a very similar one) from here a while back & served it to guests & I ended up printing out the recipe for one friend, who was doing the nibbles for her wedding . it's very tasty & imo is a winner.
I agree with those who say blue cheese is never too strong, but I can understand how some people may find it so.

samanya, May 21, 5:22am
Wish I did . if I'm making something with blue cheese in, I have to be very strong not to scoff the lot while I'm preparing the dish . you know what I mean, eat my dinner,before dinner is served?
Yes, I'm a 'picker' in the kitchen & that's a thread in itself!

aktow, May 21, 2:13pm
Blue Cheese Cornbread https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/796058634.jpg

280ml milk . 350g coarse cornmeal. 4 large eggs. ½ tsp salt
tsp smoked paprika. 80g coarsely grated cheddar style cheese.
¼ cup flour. 50g blue cheese, crumbled. 2 tsp baking powder
2 red onions, diced and caramelized. Kernels from 2 grilled cobs — cooked until golden brown. 2 red or green chillies, including the seeds, finely chopped
Method
1. Heat oven to 200C. Butter and line a 2-litre loaf tin with baking paper, then butter it again thickly and place in the fridge.
2. Lightly beat, milk, eggs, salt. Add onions, corn, chilli, mix in.
3. Sieve flour, baking powder, smoked paprika together then mix with the cornmeal. .
4. Add to the wet mix in three stages, making sure there are no lumps. Mix in the cheese. .
5. Pour into the loaf tin and bake 30–35 minutes. To test if it’s cooked, poke a skewer into the centre of the loaf — it will be cheesy sticky, but it needs to be firmish with no raw dough. Remove from the oven, leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes (no less) and then gently tip out and leave to cool on the rack, although it’s best eaten warm

soxy123, Sep 18, 2:56am
Blue cheese with sliced pear on crackers is delicious.