Christmas Day Breakfast for 17 - ideas please :)

Page 1 / 2
freckle, Nov 25, 11:18am
Will be buffet style and not sit down. Trying to come up with food that can be prepared in advance. Would love any ideas or thoughts please :)

samanya, Nov 26, 12:15am
I enjoy European style breakfasts, salami, ham, selection of sliced cheeses, fresh fruits, including pineapple, cereal, muesli, yoghurt, pastries, fruit juices & plenty of coffee & tea/herbal included plus some 'bubbles'.

korbo, Nov 26, 12:19am
if you are going to be able to cook sausages, bacon etc on the BBQ, keep the oven for. 12 hole greased muffin tin. spray and break in eggs. so easy.
12 hole muffin tin. spray and put in each hole a 1/2 tomato.
They don't take long, and makes the day easier.
Of course fruit, cereal, toast, yogurt. so many other things.

sarahb5, Nov 26, 12:27am
Do the basics yourself (toast, fruit, yogurt, etc) and then get everyone to contribute one item - why should the host do all the hard work? It also depends on the age range and tastes of the guests. I did find a eclipse for baked French toast recently that I'm planning to use for our Christmas brunch.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/baked-french-toast/

samanya, Nov 26, 3:53am
I haven't done it, but have seen an idea for lining the muffin pans with bacon & then putting in the eggs.

bella95, Nov 26, 12:41pm
I've seen these too. They look great.
Some good ideas here too.
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/courses/breakfast-and-brunch-recipes/make-ahead-breakfasts
Also what about a large shallow bacon and egg pie. Cook til just done the night before finish in oven the next morning

molly37, Nov 28, 4:42am
Pinterest - French toast bake. soaked overnight. Really yum.

awoftam, Nov 28, 8:34am
I do this for lunches; simple and easy peasy.

wendalls, Nov 28, 9:18am
How about banana pieces wrapped in bacon, then grilled. Drizzle with maple syrup. yum.

valentino, Nov 29, 12:15am
I'm less into the heavy stuff these days but for a treat on a special day for breakfast and knowing what's coming up for the main lunch dinner scenario, I'm going for a very nice light King Prawns and Mango salad Dish and peck away to my heart's content.

Cheers.

freckle, Dec 5, 9:54am
Thanks so much to you all :) Loving the ideas and starting to get excited about planning. I have a great family who will all contribute.

motorbo, Dec 6, 6:08am
nice, i dislike mangos as in juice and anything else but paired with smoked chicken i adore it lol

but lst xmas eve i came down with food poisoning i think from smoked chicken . i missed xmas and new years i was so ill, i doubt i will eat smoked chicken again for a long time

valentino, Dec 6, 6:58am
motorbro, I love this recipe and quite often double the recipe. as others love it too.

Here is the recipe.

King Prawn and Mango Salad

1 mango
1 carrot thinly sliced
½ cucumber thinly sliced
About 150 to 200 grams peeled raw king prawns (tails left on)
A handful of fresh coriander or flat leaf parsley

For the Dressing:
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp olive oil
½ tsp tamari
A thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, roughly chopped
½ fresh red chilli roughly chopped
Salt and pepper

Cut Mango in half around the flat stone, discard the stone.
Set aside one half for dressing.
Score the flesh in the other half into long strips, then turn the half inside out and cut the slices away from the skin.
Place them in a bowl and add the carrot and cucumber.

Bring a pan of water to the boil.
Once boiling, turn the heat down to a simmer and add the prawns.
Simmer for about 3 minutes until the prawns are completely pink.
Drain.
Add the prawns to the mango salad along with the coriander/parsley and season with salt and pepper.

To make the dressing: put the flesh from the reserved mango half in a blender with all the other ingredients and blitz to a smooth, runny consistency.
Drizzle over the salad.

Pic of a serving but I have the bowl LOL.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/537245479.jpg

usualsuspect, Dec 6, 7:05am
croissants with preserves
pancakes with bacon banana and maply syrup
smoothies by the jug full
juices
yogurts
waffles and cream with berry fruit
cereals with fruit

a huge pan of scrambled egg
fried tomatoes
pile of bacon and same of breakfast sausages
toast

sherrydog, Dec 7, 7:01am
Croissants, warmed and piled in a basket , wedges of different cheeses,
sliced meats and a couple of exotic relishes/chutneys, 2 different cereals, fruit - frozen berries mixed with strawberries, juice and tea/coffee. You will have started with bubbles but after this, you are allowed a top-up!

susieq9, Dec 7, 9:38pm
Assemble croisants the night before with ham, pineapple, tomato and cheese. In the morning just heat in oven.

jellabie, Dec 8, 2:33am
I'm having everyone around to my place for breakfast on Christmas morning but I'm keeping it very simple. Bacon and eggs on the BBQ and croissants with mozzarella and ham or smoked salmon . I only have one visitor who won't eat cured meat, so I will have to ask her what she would like.

dinkyz1, Dec 8, 4:32am
Croissants filled with ham and cheese! Just pop in the oven till cheese is melted and Croissants are golden . Really quick and easy and so tasty.

bev00, Dec 14, 9:23am
Strawberry Stuffed French Toasts

1 croissant per person
Strawberry jam
Chopped up strawberries sprinkled with caster sugar
Eggs and milk
Vanilla essence
Whipped cream
Icing sugar

Heat oven to keep croissants warm. It’s best for handling if the croissants are a day old but it doesn’t matter. Split the croissants and spread with some jam. Put a good tablespoon or more of chopped strawberries into the croissant with the jam.
Beat eggs and some milk and the vanilla. Dip the croissant in and cook in a frypan with melted butter, turn and cook both sides - just like French toast.
Keep warm in the oven until you have cooked all the croissants - you may have to add more butter to the pan. Arrange on a serving platter. Shake icing sugar over the dish, and pile more strawberries on top. Serve with whipped cream. Enjoy! The platter should look very festive.

rainrain1 (7 7 positive feedback) 6:21 pm, Tue 15 Dec #2

skydancing, Dec 16, 10:31pm
my grandkids have ordered croissants with cream cheese and jam and prunes wrapped in bacon. nice and easy

sally63, Dec 16, 11:58pm
Can you buy locally grown prawns as they all seem to come from Thailand or similar? The recipe sounds fabulous!

rebecca18, Dec 17, 3:53am
I've only made this once, I don't know why, it was very delicious and very easy.

French bread, slice diagonally and spread with cream cheese. Mix up 3 eggs + 3/4 cup cream +1 cup milk. Pour over sliced bread and leave to soak. Sprinkle with frozen blueberries + cinnamon + sugar. Bake in a hot-ish oven until bread rises.
Optional: serve with crispy streaky bacon.

autumnwinds, Dec 17, 4:04am
I'm with this for a buffet, too

So easy to make a savoury version (with bacon, parsley, etc), and a sweet version. And, being prepared easily the night before, it's one less thing to mess up the kitchen in the morning, and feeds a crowd

buzzy110, Dec 17, 4:46am
NZ is not a country that naturally has prawns. There is a farm in the electricity producing geothermal area of Taupo (Wairakei) but they are not prolific prawn producers. I also hear that the prawns produced are rather tasteless as well. Don't know how accurate that description is. However, they are not commercially available throughout NZ so it is moot.

davidt4, Dec 17, 5:09am
New World supermarkets sometimes have frozen Australian prawns and they are quite good if you choose them carefully (avoid grey and black heads). Make sure they are labelled product of Australia. I used to have a local NW that had a special free standing chiller to display them, but not all branches have that alas.