New Oven Smeg

lazkaz, Oct 15, 8:19pm
omg its like learning a new language. Mum's new oven is one of those touch things, she wanted an ordinary everyday oven and stove top, however brother chose this as apparently safe to use. Going to mums tomorrow to bake, see how we go. Push this, turn this, 4 seconds here, 1 second there, its ridiculous. Yes probably okay once she gets the hang of it. And it is so small, would never be able to do a roast and all the veges at once I am sure. Please feel our pain.

buzzy110, Oct 16, 1:51am
You got me on the "too small" part. I've had one of those European ovens and I hated it. May as well buy a bench top oven. Ovens only require one knob imo. Even my two knob oven is one knob too many imo. A lot of push button and menu searching is a definite step backwards. Good luck.

Friends got a fridge/freezer with electronics for Africa in their new caravan. Took ages to learn how to use it and takes forever set it up. Ours is a simple knob one and it is set in a jiffy.

kaddiew, Oct 16, 3:08am
Maybe I should feel more kindly disposed to my ugly but roomy 27 year old brown Atlas double oven that works perfectly. Built like a tank and just won't die so I can justify buying a prettier looking one.

lazkaz, Oct 16, 7:19pm
Kaddiew I would stick with that one. I am off this morning to bake scones with mum. Let alone my new printer which I hardly have used as it plays up all the time. I am not dummy and have worked in an office for years and looked after all the IT, so know how most things work. But this printer does not like me. Wished I had got a Brother with NZ speaking help on the phone.

buzzy110, Oct 16, 9:49pm
Thanks for that printer tip. DH was going on about ours and I know it is nearly time for a change. I wanted something much more simple and cheaper to run.

lazkaz, Oct 17, 3:19am
Well we successfully made scones, cake next time. Took us a while and a neighbourly visit. that went on so turned our oven off for a bit. All good.

meoldchina, Oct 17, 9:45am
I can sympathise with you, lazkaz. The handbook for my new oven rivals The Lord of the Rings for the number of pages and the first quarter is taken-up with Health & Safety instructions even before you plug it in! It took me back to the days when I was revising for exams. All I wanted to do was make some muffins but I had to spend the whole morning reading the handbook before I could work out how to turn it on.

lazkaz, Dec 14, 11:56am
Reading the book was a challenge. I think the translation was poor. and in actual fact misdirected us several times. No trouble shooting page. Very annoying. But sure we will get the handle on this.