Slow Cooker lamb shanks, recipe please?

datoofairy, May 29, 8:04pm
I am looking for a slow cooker recipe for lamb shanks that does not contain tomato, wine or balsamic vinegar. I've searched so many recipes online but all seem to have at least one of those ingredients. I have a brand new crock pot and want to cook lamb shanks for dinner tonight. Any helpful hints and tips would be most welcome too. Thanks :o)

lythande1, May 29, 8:11pm
4-6 Lamb Shanks,
4 Tbsp flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp oil
2 onions, peeled and chopped
2 cups Campbell’s Real Beef Stock
1 cup orange juice
½ cup barley
Grated rind 1 orange
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme

Mix the seasoned flour and paprika in a plastic bag, add the lamb shanks and toss to coat. Reserve any remaining flour.

Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole or frying pan and brown the lamb shanks, a few at a time. Set aside. Stir in the onions and cook 2 minutes. Add the remaining flour and cook for a further minute.

Stir in the beef stock and orange juice and, once a sauce is formed, add the barley, orange rind and thyme. Return the lamb shanks to the casserole or transfer to one. Alternatively cook in a slow cooker on low for 7-8 hours.

lythande1, May 29, 8:12pm
Lamb

4 Quality Mark lamb shanks
8 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 1/2 cups natural unsweetened Greek-style yoghurt
1 cup vegetable stock
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (or more to taste)
5cm cinnamon stick

To serve

flatbreads
Indian-style chutney
sliced green chilli
fresh coriander sprigs
green beans

Method
Preheat the oven to 160°C.

Lamb
Place the garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, black pepper and cardamom in a small bowl and mix to a paste with a little vegetable oil. Rub into the lamb shanks.

Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add a dash of oil. Place in the lamb shanks and brown on both sides, then transfer to a casserole dish that fits the lamb shanks comfortably.

Pour the yoghurt and stock into the frying pan and bring to the boil. Pour over the shanks. Add the green chilli and cinnamon and cover with the lid or tin foil.

Place in the oven and cook for 2 1/2 - 3 hours until the meat is almost falling off the bone. Turn shanks from time to time and season as required.

Remove from the oven and strain sauce into a wide saucepan. Bring sauce to the boil. Pour sauce over the shanks before serving.

To serve
Serve with flatbreads, Indian-style chutney and finish with a little green chilli and coriander. Green beans are good here too.

rainrain1, May 29, 11:34pm
You could just place them on a bed of cut up onion, with a couple of Tblsp water and a some salt and pepper, and let them cook away like that. either way they should be cooking by now so they are ready for your dinner . sometimes less is more :-)))

datoofairy, May 30, 12:55am
Thank you both. I ended up using a packet mix from the supermarket, a Maggi Lamb and herb. As I've never used a crock pot before I wanted the safety of a packet mix so if it doesnt turn out, I'll know its most likely something I've done wrong.
It does still have tomatoes in it but I used crushed, sieved tomato and hopefully it wont be overly noticeable. I added a layer of potato, parsnip, carrots and onions and put 3 browned 'knuckles' on top and then poured the recipe mix over it all. The veges are in liquid but the meat only has a covering of the liquid mixture from me pouring it on top, will that be ok? Or should the meat be completely covered by liquid?
I put it on in the preheated crock pot at 11.30, on high. I figure if I leave it on high for 4 hours then turn it onto low for another 3 hours, it should be ok, right?
I was quite surprised at the cost of the meat. $18 for 3 pretty average sized 'knuckles' from Countdown. They seem to have become trendy and therefore expensive. Shanks used to be rubbish meat and sold very cheaply. Hope they taste good!

crazynana, May 30, 1:19am
datoofairy. we just sit the lamb shanks on some onion and mix up a couple of packets of roast meat gravy pour it over the top and cook slowly. They always taste good and the meat is very tender, falling off the bones. I agree they are expensive now, remembering that when my Mum bought a side of lamb many years ago when I was a kid, the butcher usually threw the shanks in for free.

rainrain1, Sep 11, 8:44am
Even before they were a popular item, when we were kids my mother always gave me the shank bone to chew on, she reckoned I picked them clean (still do) Later, after I was married, they were given to the dogs, now they wouldn't dare give them to the dogs.