Favourite ways to cook zucchini?

blueviking, Dec 31, 7:48pm
Here's one I've lost the original recipe for and can't find it on any website. It was given to me on a piece of paper. So here's roughly what I do.
Grate 4 zucchini into a mixing bowl
Add 2-3 grated carrots
Add a cup of flour, mix
add a cup of grated cheese
Now add whatever leftovers you have(potatoes, corn,chicken, ham capsicum,)mix in.
You can also add some fried bacon and onions if you wish
Pepper and fresh herbs, garlic
add enough oil to stick it all together(1/2-1 cup)
place in baking dish.
Beat 4-6 eggs (as you would for a bacon and egg pie, I just break up the yolks and add some milk)
Pour this over the mixture and mix in( I find this easier than doing it in the bowl)
I fan bake on 180 for about 35mins, then check to see if its cooked through.
It's more colourful if you have yellow zucchini as well to add.
Hopefully I remembered everything. I'm doing it Wednesday when my kids come over for dinner.

dibble35, Dec 31, 8:07pm
Hi, it is a lovely cake, should be able to make it in a few weeks time, hopefully ill have enough zucchinis growing by then so i can take it out to the bach when i'm going in late Jan.

ash27, Jan 1, 8:29am
I make this often in summer and the whole family love it
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/zucchini-slice/eb7eed59-5f53-4f6f-bfb5-9b7e3f81a702

jimbob37, Dec 28, 3:03am
My family don't like them. I love them. But just wanting some new ideas on how I might convince them to eat them. or things to hide them in!

eljayv, Dec 28, 3:37am
I spiralize them and just wipe the inside of sauté pan with butter, cook them quickly and add salt and pepper. delicious and they do cook very quickly when spiralized.

dibble35, Dec 28, 6:53am
Spiralized (is that a word even? )zucchini, fry up some garlic in little oil, add zucchinis, salt and pepper, cook till tender. Stir in 2 T sour cream and some parmesan cheese - beautiful.
also love them fried up with onions, bacon and mushrooms and put on toast for a fast easy dinner.

cgvl, Dec 28, 8:21pm
I saute/fry mushrooms and zucchini together then add cream and reduce slightly and serve over fettuccini pasta. Can do zucchini on its own, oh and add salt and pepper to taste.
Grate zucchini and add to cakes or muffins especially chocolate ones. If making carrot cake can add some to that as well.
Grate and freeze and add to vegie soups in winter

ed65, Dec 28, 10:34pm
We cook grated zucchini fritters on the BBQ (like corn fritters). And I make an egg/vege/cheese bake in the oven that has about 4 grated zucchini in it (a great recipe for whatever needs to be used up in the fridge). If you're interested in either, I'll post the recipes.

daarhn, Dec 28, 11:48pm
Z's are a fab base for a rich tomotoey ratatouille sauce, then used for various pasta recipes, or a chunky dip

dibble35, Dec 29, 4:18am
I've got a lovely choc zucchini cake recipe - its so moist and keeps well. Cant wait till my own zucchinis are ready so i can make it again. Had a series of disasters with my zucchini plants this year so was really late finally getting one to grow, just setting its first ones now.

karlymouse, Dec 29, 10:01am
Grated into mince meat for patties is one way of keeping the patties moist.

ellajay2, Dec 30, 9:58pm
Can I please have a recipe for chocolate cake with zucchini thanks

dibble35, Dec 31, 1:31am
This is the one i use.
Got it off here a few years ago, not sure whos it was originally
ZUCCHINI CHOCOLATE CAKE
125g butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup raw sugar
3 eggs
21/2 cups flour
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1/2 plain yogurt
1/4 cup cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups grated zucchini

Line a 25cm square pan. Beat butter and sugars until light and creamy (don’t hurry this step). Beat in eggs, one at a time, adding a spoonful of the flour with each addition. Add vanilla and yogurt and mix well. Sift dry ingredients together and using a wooden spoon, partly combine with the egg mixture. Then add zucchini. Do not overmix. Turn mixture into the prepared pan and bake at 170C for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean from the centre of the cake.

ETA - my recipe has 1/2 cup choc chips sprinkled on top before you bake it,

nanasee1, Dec 31, 3:43am
Slice through lengthwise and roast plain, or smear chilli sauce and cheese on the cut side and then roast. Grate into meat loaf mixture.

rebecca18, Dec 31, 4:00am
How exciting dibble35, I posted that recipe! I'm so glad someone else has been enjoying it, it is such a lovely cake. You've made my day :)

nauru, Nov 9, 5:54am
This is a recipe that I often use, substituting carrots when zucchini are out of season. An easy, no fail recipe and it cooks in the MW, very like a mud cake with less eggs. My Grandies love this cake and have no idea that it contains the hated veges.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake
125g butter
3/4 cup sugar
11/2 cups grated zucchini
2 eggs
1/2 teasp each cinnamon & mixed spice
1/2 cup choc chips
3/4 cup cocoa
11/2 cups SR flour
1/4 cup plain yoghurt

Cream butter & sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat in between each egg. Add spices, zucchini, choc chips & yoghurt & mix well. Add cocoa and flour and mix. Put mixture into a prepared microwave cake pan. Bake in microwave on high for 8 minutes. Stand 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.