Kitchen Treasures

daarhn, Feb 11, 2:05am
How many have items from someone special that you treasure, display or use in your kitchen?

I have an old oval amber Bushells coffee glass jar that was used by my Baba for salt. Still contains salt, the grease and smell of jarrah wood that was used on the wood stove she cooked on. It sat in the groaning full of treasures kitchen cabinet on the shelf. This piece of my history can never be washed or touched by anyone else- it is my talisman. Such content fond memories when recalling her fingers in that jar and sprinkling the salt in what ever she was cooking. Every now and then I pull out that salt jar, close my eyes, take a deep breathe and remember everything about her. Beautiful memories flooding all the senses of someone who was very much inspirational in my passion for cooking and a beloved strong woman who will always be my guiding light.

There are various other utensils from folk who have given me their parents or grans kitchen bits I use daily.

When op shopping, doing my rounds, I'm straight to the baskets and boxes full of kitchen utensils hunting for those retro, well used treasures. I wonder what their stories could tell.

wheelz, Feb 11, 2:23am
Lovely!

buzzy110, Feb 11, 11:36pm
Awww. That's lovely rexavier. I managed to score my mother's large kauri slab chopping board that dad had made for her. It is a treasured board that played a huge part in my mother's kitchen. Everything was made or cut/sliced on that board. I hardly ever use now because it has attained the status of a precious toanga rather than a common kitchen object.

patsprat, Feb 12, 1:39am
I have a collection of my grandmother's old silver plated tablespoons - not much silver left on them and the right hand side of them is so worn away with decades of stirring. a couple of them are used for gardening but I love the slightly more respectable ones and use them all the time, for the same thing - stirring! And a couple of small bone-handled knives that are perfect for spreading icing and lots of other jobs. I like using old things - if only they could talk!

daarhn, Feb 12, 2:19am
Those beautiful old what we call our treasures, all look fab when on show. I mix and match old with new. Picked up a gorgeous set of cutlery, black and gold(brass) stamped with Siam from opshop recently. They are now my serving bits I use for spreads and platters.

issymae, Oct 24, 12:49pm
I have got a number of old family recipe books- keep thinking of weeding out some recipes for next generation-perhaps a winter job