How to cook liver

esykes, Nov 14, 7:44pm
Any recipes for cooking liver, and which is best, sheep or beef.
Cheers

cgvl, Nov 14, 7:56pm
I prefer sheep liver or lambs fry as its called.
Recipe: roll slices of liver in seasoned flour and saute/fry . It needs be to done quickly so just brown. I saute/fry onions and bacon first and place into a casserole dish. Then I cook the liver, remove from pan and place on top of the onions and bacon. Make a gravy from the pan juices etc and pour over top and then heat through in oven. I also add mushrooms and sometimes add a pkt of mushroom soup mix (Maggi type) to the gravy.
We eat it with rice. I have been known to add vegies as well.

esykes, Nov 14, 8:19pm
Sounds good, will try. Cheers

harrislucinda, Nov 14, 8:49pm
yes it is yumm

davidt4, Nov 14, 9:43pm
Lebanese Grilled Liver (Stephanie Alexander)

4 cloves garlic, peeled
large pinch of flaky salt
60 ml extra virgin olive oil
black pepper
1 tab dried mint (or 2 tab chopped fresh mint)
4 x 1cm thick slices of calf's or lamb's liver, or 500 g chicken livers

Work the garlic and salt to a paste, mix with oil, pepper and mint, mix with liver and allow to rest in the fridge at least 1 hour.
Grill over high heat until browned but still pink inside, serve with a salad of tomato, red onion, parsley, lemon juice.

This is also very good with 2 tsp cumin powder instead of the mint. Add fresh mint to the salad.

lythande1, Nov 15, 12:46am
saute/fry onions and bacon first and place into a casserole dish. Then cook the liver, remove from pan and place in bin Make a gravy from the bacon and onion juices and pour over top and then heat through in oven.

valentino, Nov 15, 1:00am
Having this tonight, YUM !

Lambs Fry and Bacon

500 grams lambs fry
Milk
2 tablespoons oil
1 Medium Onion Diced
5 to 6 strips bacon, cut into bite size pieces
Sea salt
Pepper
1-2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2-3 tablespoons tomato paste and ½ cup water or stock mixed together

Soaking the Liver.
I always soak the liver in milk before cooking it. Place the liver in a glass bowl and pour milk over it – just enough to cover then cover the bowl with something and put it into the fridge.
Do this either the night before (in which case you can soak the liver if frozen and it will gradually defrost) or on the morning of the day cooking it provided the liver is already defrosted. You can use freshly purchased liver not frozen.

To Cook.
Heat oil in a large fry pan.
Add onions and saute for about 5 minutes then add the bacon.
Saute for a further 10 – 15 minutes, until the onions are soft and starting to caramelize.
Meanwhile, remove the liver from the milk (throw away the milk) and pat dry with paper towels.
Cut liver into bite-size strips no more than about ½ inch thick.
Push the onions/bacon to one side of the pan, in the remaining centre area of pan directly over heat and add more oil if required add the liver pieces (in batches if necessary).
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and sear for 1-2 minutes each side of liver.
Once the liver pieces have browned, mix them with the onion/bacon.
Add a couple of shakes of Worcestershire sauce and the tomato sauce mixture and mix all together.
Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

Note: Can use a nice red wine instead of stock/water.

buzzy110, Nov 15, 1:48am
OMG. This sounds perfect. I very quickly began to dislike the combination of bacon and liver. It was just two overpowering flavours competing with each other and way too fatty, even for me. In fact, I am not keen on bacon with a lot of things people currently team it with. Last time I went North, Peter Gordon supplied Air NZ with a fish and bacon dish. It was pretty much inedible. Who would team fish with bacon?

Do you mind if I copy and paste it into the low carb thread?

davidt4, Nov 15, 2:40am
No problem.

samanya, Nov 15, 2:43am
I'm not keen on bacon with lamb's fry either so I just slice it, dredge with flour, fry quickly & serve with fresh herbs with the pan drippings.

rainrain1, Nov 15, 3:37am
Love bacon, liver, and gravy, and I throw in the cooked potatoes. we go through heaps of bacon, never without it in the fridge and freezer.

holly-rocks, Nov 15, 6:10am
My cat normally gets the liver when we do homekill, there is a wether out in our paddock that has decided to charge at me when I'm bringing in the washing. Ive been eyeing up his liver for weeks, thanks for the recipes ^.~
#revengeissweet

sinclairsouth, Nov 15, 8:20am
Is it possible to do the final heating process in a microwave as opposed to doing it in a conventional oven? Thinking this could possibly save some time but am certainly open to any contradiction.

petal1955, Nov 15, 9:39am
I slice the liver into strips like stroganoff toss into pepper and salted flour with a little dry mustard powder and a good pinch of cayenne pepper. Heat oil in pan till hot and flash fry in batches no more than 30 secs. I do caramilized onions with oil balsamic vinegar and dark muscarvdo sugar till sticky takes an hour and fry off the bacon.makes gravy in the pan you have cooked live and bacon in.place the cooked liver and bacon back into the gravy and heat thru gently.seve with mashe agria potatoes with garlic butter and sour cream and a nice green veg(spinach/silverbeet). Yu-
mmo