What do you put in sausage rolls

Page 1 / 2
korbo, Apr 22, 3:55am
What else other than chopped onion do you put in with your sausage meat. thanks

rainrain1, Apr 22, 4:26am
Here's a recipe which I have never tried. you could add some of these ingredients :-)

Sausage rolls
500g sausage
500g mince
1 carrot grated
1 red onion and one white onion, 2 cloves garlic chopped up in the food processor with a bunch of parsley
1/4 cup Worcester sauce
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Vegeta stock powder
1 cup grated cheese
Mix this together with your hands and make your sausage rolls with puff pastry. Brush them with beaten egg before baking at 200 degC until golden brown.

valentino, Apr 22, 4:39am
It all depends on the main ingredient.

There is a growing number of crappy ones now in the supermarkets.
Some Butchers are getting the same items.

Brand names such as Hellaby, Hellers are total crap.

Blend a couple of meats as noted with rainrain1 recipe is a starter.

If you can, it is best to create your own and perhaps some great recipes in this area could be great.

Cheers

dolphin19, Apr 22, 5:37am
I put grated apple in mine, as well as carrot and onion.

samanya, Apr 22, 6:07am
I like this Helen Jackson recipe
http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/sausage-rolls.html & while I was looking I found this also http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/pork-and-prune-sausage-rolls.html
I like the sound of that for a change.

jobb, Apr 22, 6:10am
Some people add mashed potato to bulk the mixture up.
I always cook off the onion and garlic before adding and then add in whatever I find to the mix.
Homemade always seems to be better than from a packet

samanya, Apr 22, 6:55am
Home made all the way . beats the bought numbers, hands down.
I make the pastry as well & very occasionally buy it it if time is short.

fifie, Apr 22, 7:05am
I make with sausage meat onion carrot apple grated sage thyme, curry powder, slug worcester sauce and some rice. Sometimes i add some fresh bread crumbs if mixture needs it.

awoftam, Apr 22, 8:20am
I make sausage rolls with pork mince, crushed fennel seeds, onion, garlic, grated carrot and zucchinis (if I have them on hand). Wrap in flaky puff pastry glaze and sprinkled with sesame seeds.

Otherwise I used a mix of pork and beef mince, onion, mixed fresh herbs.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmm

iriegirl, Apr 22, 3:14pm
Try buying really good quality gourmet sausages from your butcher. Squeeze the contents out to use the same as usual, it makes a great base to start with & you could also use to make meatballs.

jaybee2003, Apr 23, 1:10am
For something different, try using filo pastry to make your sausage rolls. I use around 8 sheets. simply layer the sheets, spraying each sheet with a good oil, add your filling, roll up and cook at abt 200c. A healthier option than traditional pastry. :-)

petal1955, Apr 23, 3:39am
mashed potatoes with some onion and fresh herbs and grated carrot mixed in the sausage meat. makes a softer mixture.then spread on to pastry with a little grated cheese and tomato relish and roll up.Glaze with egg wash and sesame seeds

valentino, Apr 23, 4:17am
What, Mushy Sausage Rolls, Blurgh.

To Me a good Sausage roll was using a sausage meat similar to the sausage meat from those old brand name "Peach" pork sausages with the right seasoning and a wee bit of grated apple in some or whatever in others.
This has that ideal bite and overall tastes unlike those soft sausage rolls that are very common these days, once again - BLURGH !

Cheers.

petal1955, Apr 23, 8:10am
Each to their own !

nauru, Apr 23, 8:23am
I add grated veges to my sauseage rolls, usually carrot, zucchini, onion, spinach, sage and seasoning, also sometimes add cauli and brocolli, depends what I have on hand at the time. Great for my unsuspecting Grandies who seem to love them and don't realise they are eating veges too. I often make little pasties instead of rolls using my asian dumpling maker, they go down well too, great for the school holiday visits.

nauru, Apr 23, 8:31am
Instead of breadcrumbs I sometimes used some quick rolled oats or oatbran. It helps to bulk the filling out.

valentino, Apr 23, 8:20pm
LOL, what is the Sausage meat usually made from, mostly meats.

Sure each to their own but hold on, define sausage truly.

If Vegan sausages then it should be stated as such and so on with others.
Likewise Pork or Beef sausages.

Perhaps op could enlighten more where or what variety they are seeking more so.

Cheers

petal1955, Apr 23, 10:20pm
You seem so B***Dy righteous

buzzy110, Apr 23, 10:32pm
That was totally uncalled for, nasty and unpleasant. I often disagree with the ideas and recipes you post but when was the last time you read a response from me similar to your trenchant post? Why not hold yourself to the same standards you expect of me.

The ideas of the poster were her own and what she has found works for her. They may just be perfect for the OP.

valentino, Apr 23, 11:55pm
Sorry but was not being nasty, gee wiz, just expressing my personal opinion or cannot I do that. No, seems to be all aimed at one way traffic and I'm the opposite side.

Gosh, these days if you do not agree then you must shut up, HUH.

And once again I that is me do not like MUSHY Sausage Rolls, to ME, they are Blurgh. , This is me or aren't I'm Allowed to express this. It does not bother me how you think you Almighty ones.

I never go slinging off at any personal posters in any way as some do, always express myself generally on comments as I see it and I will not lower my standards to suit others just for the sake of it but give opinions re to the topic of OP as Once again - I see it.

And to you Buzzy, you have over a period of time DESTROYED this Recipe MB, I have been keeping my distance from you.

Cheers.

buzzy110, Apr 24, 12:31am
Your response was offensive to another poster. No one asked for your negativity on what others suggest, just some recipe suggestions.

One could even say that your response is what is destroying this board. Two posters, at least, were offended by it with me being one of them. My offence was FOR the hurt that was probably felt by the poster you aimed your remarks at.

You, on the other hand, can take what you dish out.

valentino, Apr 24, 3:43am
So only you can be Negative and others cannot, Hmmm such a one eyed English Professor of course, no I have not forgotten certain things of the past who likes to keep control of things to suit themself.

And now time has come for me to stop and enjoy other things rather than put up with your . !

Cheers

samanya, Apr 24, 3:46am
Pot/kettle?

sossie1, Apr 24, 3:48am
I make Samosa sausage rolls, kids liked them cos they were sausage roll shaped! Used ready rolled frozen pastry to make life easier, bit of grated cheese melted on the top, recipe available if wanted

valentino, Apr 24, 3:59am
Oh, interesting how you noted this. Just show your true style of thinking. assuming or just plain self analysing things to once again to suit yourself, if you cannot get your way then you start looking for and using words to suit yourself.
Oh dear, what personality you are showing, dear me, Diddums.

As I noted I do not attack anyone but you seem to be that odd one and believe me - the only one.
Bye and enjoy recipe how you want it.