Tomato sauce with a difference.

razell, Jul 29, 6:01am
I have made tomato sauce from tinned tomatoes a number of times and it has kept fine. It is often cheaper to use tinned tomatoes evening when tomatoes area in season.

awoftam, Jul 29, 6:07am
I make my own tom sauce from tinned tomatoes; as I don't like sugar in the ones you buy. This is yum and never lasts long enough to go off!

korbo, Jul 29, 9:48am
razell and awoftam. woud you share yur recipe.
No harm in having a few to compare. thanks

awoftam, Jul 30, 1:11am
Here you go:

2 x 440 gram tins whole peeled tomatoes
1/2 onion, chopped
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 T rice malt syrup
1 t each of cinnamon, ground allspice, ground cloves and half t cayenne pepper
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper

bring all ingredients to the boil, stir well then reduce heat and simmer for 50 minutes or until the sauce reduces by almost half and is quite thick. Blend with a stick blender or food processor. If still too runny for your liking return to heat to reduce.

Will keep for up to a month in the fridge. Freezes well too.

This tastes very hot when first made however mellows and is just YUM

Enjoy!

buzzy110, Jul 30, 1:21am
Thank you for the recipe awoftam.

huntlygirl, Aug 6, 10:24am
My secret ingredient in tomato sauce is xmas fruit mince sweetens without lots of sugar.

korbo, Jul 25, 2:20am
Sis in Aussie ran out of her homemade tomato sauce, and none other is to her taste.
Fresh tomatoes too expensive. so.
she bought a tray (12) of crushed tomato tins, put them in the pot, added some sugar, vinegar, pickling spice, salt, boiled it all up for a few hours. and put it into the bottles.
So far she says it is very tasty.
Of course the test will be. will it keep. ?

Oh, what is the diff when making sauce on plain salt or iodised. and why.

crazynana, Jul 25, 3:49am
You must use plain salt otherwise your sauce or pickles etc will go mouldy. I know this is right but can't for the life of me remember why sorry. Mr Google will probably know.

davidt4, Jan 10, 9:51am
I looked into the question of iodised salt in pickling ome time ago as I had always believed that plain salt was essential but didn't know why. It turns out that the only reason to avoid iodised salt is that it may turn pickles a darker colour.

It is important to avoid "table salt" that may have anticaking agents such as sodium aluminosilicate or magnesium carbonate, as they will spoil the clarity of the pickle. Read the label.