Pork Belly with milk

jofes, Apr 17, 9:42pm
Have been given a nie small kilo of pork belly and heard there was nice recipes for this cooked with milk. Can anyone share with me please.

245sam, Apr 17, 9:58pm
jofes, one of the recipes that you may have heard of is this one of Annabel Langbein's:- https://www.annabel-langbein.com/recipes/crispy-pork-belly/2019/

Hope that helps. :-))

jan2242, Apr 18, 10:50pm
I tried Annabel's recipe and it was a total flop.

davidt4, Apr 18, 11:45pm
Here is the River Cottage recipe for pork loin in milk. It will work well with pork belly but you will need to pour off some of the fat (keep it for other cooking). I have made this with bay leaves as the only flavouring and it was delicious.

"Pork in milk

This is River Cottage head chef Gill Meller's take on the Italian classic, arrosto di maiale al latte, or pork in milk. The results are tender, juicy and flavoursome. It's delicious hot, or cold the next day in sandwiches or salads. Serves four to six.

About 1.2kg boned pork loin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
10-12 garlic cloves, peeled
Strips of lemon zest from 1 lemon, thinly pared with a vegetable peeler – remove any white pith
4-6 sage leaves, shredded
1 tbsp thyme leaves, chopped
3 bay leaves
About 1 litre whole milk (cow or goat), warmed
1 small sprig rosemary

Cut the rind from the pork, leaving a thin layer of fat (use the rind to make crackling – score it, scatter it with salt, and bake at 220C/425F/gas mark 7 until puffed up, crisp and golden). Score the fat and season the meat well all over, rubbing it into the surface. Tie the meat in a couple of places with kitchen string, so it will hold its shape, and set aside.

Warm the oil in a large casserole over a low heat and poach the garlic cloves until they just begin to take on a light golden colour – be careful they don't burn, or they'll add an acrid flavour to the sauce. Scoop out the garlic with a slotted spoon and raise the heat under the pan to medium-high. Brown the pork on all sides, then set aside again. Take the pan off the heat and let the oil cool down quite a bit. Add the lemon zest, sage, thyme and bay, and sauté gently for a minute. Return the pork to the pan, turn it over in the seasoned oil, then pour over enough milk just to cover the meat. Add the rosemary and bring to a simmer.

Cook the meat at a very gentle simmer, uncovered, until cooked through and tender, turning it occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pan to keep the curds that form as a result of the interaction between lemon and milk from burning. This should take about one and a quarter hours, by which time much of the liquid will have evaporated – if it hasn't, reduce the sauce while the meat is resting.

Before serving, let the pork sit for about 10 minutes before cutting into thin slices and serving with the curdy sauce spooned over the top."

jia5, Apr 19, 12:05am
I always use her recipe, never had a flop yet.

karlymouse, Apr 19, 2:15am
Agree. I would not waste the milk or the pork belly; cook it without with just flavourings in the rhind.

wheelz, Apr 19, 7:16am
Milk is a fantastic meat tenderiser. I've done Anabels recipe, and wasn't impressed.
I would score the skin,then marinade the meat, the day before, in a flat dish, with the milk below the level of the skin, you want the skin dry.
Next day, dry flesh with paper towels, drizzle all over with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and massage in, some grinds of pepper. Place on wire rack in roasting dish, tucking any meat that might be poking out from the fat layer. Cook 4 hours at 130'C, then 150'C for 30 mins. After 30 mins change to grill setting on med high, move pork to top of oven and grill till skin goes puffy and golden. watch closely!
Rest, then serve.Enjoy!

karlymouse, Apr 20, 12:00am
Well it might be but I have done both and much prefer it without the milk and it was just as tender without as well.

dreamers, Apr 20, 3:06am
Agree thought it was awful and never again.Far nicer recipes out there.

wheelz, Apr 23, 3:00am
Did I say I cooked it in the milk?! No.

vtired, Apr 30, 11:45pm
I cook pork belly in milk with fresh sage and black pepper and it is so yummy. I make sure top is dry and rub in salt both sides, rip up fresh sage and put under meat, I use say up to ten leaves leave some for when you add the milk, oven must be 240 and cook half an hour so top starts to crunch, take out add milk until half way up side tear remaining sage add black pepper reduce oven to 160 and cook until tender. I always grill the top just before serving. We love the sage, salt and pepper flavour of the pork without adding really over powering spices. AND YES THIS IS ANNABEL LANGBEINS RECIPE

karlymouse, May 1, 12:05am
and I said IMO the milk marinated or cooked with it adds nothing to the taste or tenderness.

vtired, May 1, 4:17am
I tried chicken stk which is the way my daughter cooks pork belly however I went back to the milk as I feel it remains far more moist and succulent.

jia5, Sep 27, 11:14pm
Same, :-)