Ideas for Lunches for a visitor from Thailand.

quiz3, Apr 10, 12:38am
We are hosting a visitor from Thailand. Thoughts were to give him same for lunch as we would have but some countries do not eat certain meats etc . My thoughts are a salad with everything in, bread rolls, fruit, cheeses etc but a bit hesitant when it comes to the meats and perhaps the cheeses.
Your input will be very much appreciated. Thankyou.

petmacorpltd, Apr 10, 12:43am
I have a Japanese and Vietnamese student at present. I think it is important that they have the "Kiwi experience", so don't be afraid of serving them what we would have. I find they like fresh fruit and veges above anything else. I make healthy style fried rice regularly with lots of veges - that is always a winner.

quiz3, Apr 10, 1:02am
Thankyou petmacorpltd, yes they will certainly get the fresh fruit and veges. It's just the meats we are stuck on. Fried rice sounds great.

valentino, Apr 10, 1:03am
Yep, in NZ so give them a bit of good clean fresh Kiwi everyday food for starters, let them tell you.

I usually give them a wee sample taste first as you prepare it in front of them and they will usually show a pleasing nice yummy look.

Editing to note meats, Thinly shaved sliced Champagne ham always works. Likewise small tin of Salmon with it's juices mixed with some cream cheese into a spread is also a winner. And a Whole egg mashed with a bit of cream cheese and pieces of ham added and as a pate spread is lovely. Even those pieces of Chicken about $1.20 each with a little bit of mayo goes well remembering you add salad leaves and other fruit/veges.

Cheers

snapperheadrkp, Apr 10, 4:28am
Don't do what I did,
About 30 odd years had a Japanese Student stay for 6 weeks (free) while on a trip here with his English 'club' at University.( went to classes at our local High School plus trips out to local sights, farms and industry)
What traditional NZ meal for first dinner? - Roast Lamb, Roast Veg Gravy, and Mint Sauce plus Pavlova for pudding
Have visited him twice (Japan and USA) and he has been back here twice since (once with Parents and Grandparents, then Wife and Daughters) and he always reminds me of his introduction to our house with the horrible smell of Lamb roasting!

valentino, Apr 10, 5:08am
Yeah, the Japanese do not like the smell of Lamb Roasting. Even the occasional Chinese.

Cheers

lilyfield, Apr 10, 5:10am
or me---reason to run away from home

blands70, Apr 11, 12:41am
Most Thais are Buddhist - but some are Muslim.

Buddhist monks are vegetarian - but assuming your guest is not a monk then they should be OK with meat, so would pay to check before you serve pork/ham.

Also be aware before you go overboard on the cheese that a lot of Asians don't traditionally eat much dairy, so don't be offended if they don't eat it or don't like it.

Now the weather's got colder I'd likely go for a soup or similar.

rainrain1, Apr 11, 12:52am
According to a cuzzie who boards students from Asia. they like lots of vegetables, but not boiled silly, they love chicken and pork and mashed potatoes, but not mutton and beef so much.

quiz3, Apr 11, 3:22am
Thanks to you all for replies. Great ideas.

ferrit47, Apr 17, 10:45pm
We do homestays for local school & we dont change our ways for them as they have come to learn the Kiwi Way. Just give them what you normally have.

boatie1, Oct 2, 2:12am
Agreed. Serve up what you would normally have for dinner. They probably want to experience typical Kiwi lifestyles and food.

I am in their region quite often and when being looked after by hosts its part of the experience to eat what they eat and share their customs etc.