Pork Belly

homecleaner_aa1, Jun 8, 4:08am
Got these recipes from here quite some time ago and still think they are the best we,ve had. Thank you valentine I think but anyway, have not seen it here since so reposting them.

Best Pork Belly Recipes

Recipe 1
Piece of Pork Belly
Oil
Runny Honey
Flakey Salt

Debone the piece.
Score or cut the skin into cubes, not the fat nor meat.
Place on a wire rack in the kitchen sink and pour some boiling water all over the skin briefly and quickly, drain then pat dry with paper towels.
The skin should curl slightly on all the edges.
Smear some Oil over the under belly meat part and placed on baking paper in a tray big enough only for the belly piece.
Add the honey into the cuts of the skin.
Rub some flaky Salt all over the skin ensuring all of skin is covered.
Bake at 170C (150C Fan-forced) for about 3 hours or until tender.
Then increase the oven temperature to 250C (230C fan-forced) until the skin crackles.

Cut into cubes and serve.

Recipe 2 With Pineapple Salad.

Piece of Pork Belly
2 cloves Garlic crushed
1 tsp Chinese five-spice
2 Tablespoons finely grated ginger
1 tablespoon salt
½ cup Chinese Cooking wine or dry sherry
1 medium pineapple cut into chunks
2 medium red capsicums cut into large diagonal pieces
3 Lebanese cucumbers cut into large slices on diagonal
1 bunch of coriander, leaves picked
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice.

Preheat oven to 170C (150C fan-forced).
Prepare belly as in above recipe only until pat dry with kitchen towel.
Combine garlic, spice, ginger and half of salt then rub all over the pork meat only and not the skin.
Place some baking paper into a dish just big enough for the belly and wine into the dish.
Place the pork into the dish skin side up and rub remaining salt all over the skin.
Roast for 3 hours or until tender.
After 3 hours increase the Temperature to 250C (230C fan-forced) for the skin.
Meanwhile heat a grill plate, BBQ or a large fry pan.
Grill the pineapple and capsicum pieces until browned, remove to a serving platter.
When cool add the cucumber and coriander leaves.
Combine sauces and juice in a small bowl and spoon the dressing over the pineapple salad.
Served with the Pork Cubed.

buzzy110, Jun 8, 4:20am
I only ever do it by the twice cooked method.

First I score it and marinate it for 12-24hrs in a mixture that I keep frozen, ensuring that I do not cover the fat with any liquid or marinade.

Next it is dried off and salted lightly. Place in an ovenproof container that just fits it and immerse in duck fat/lard with a few szechuan pepper corns and star anise. Sometimes I put a layer of onions on the bottom of the container first.

Then cover with tinfoil or a tight fitting lid and cook overnight for 12 hours at 90dC. Drain off the fat and take some effort to get as much off as possible. Cover with greaseproof paper or the tinfoil and place something heavy on the meat to compress it. I use a clean brick wrapped in paper towels for this part. Refrigerate overnight.

Slice into serving size squares and pan fry, skin side down till it is crackly, then the other side till brown. It doesn't take long.

The benefit is that the belly hardly shrinks at all and I can get three meals for two adults from one average sized pork belly. It is quite rich so serving sizes need to be quite small. You get a taste sensation and a reasonable bang for your buck.

jofes, Jun 9, 4:10am
Any nice recipes to share please :)

pickles7, Jun 9, 4:25am

dbab, Jun 9, 4:45am
Yep. This one.

wendalls, Jun 9, 9:22am
Yep agree with them two. You gotta start early though.

serendipity55, Jun 9, 10:10pm
annabelle langbien done in milk!

luvmykicks, Jun 10, 7:50am
Another vote. Only recipe I use

wheelz, Jun 11, 9:59pm
I've tried both recipes, Chelseas, is by far . juicier and tastier.

cor.-., Jun 11, 11:45pm
choose a piece with bones still on, score skin and slice part way through into large long fingers (for easy slicing at the end)

pre-heat oven to 140/150 degrees

rub in oil and salt and pepper rind and poke thyme into slits

seal all surfaces of pork belly in hot frying pan until colour on all surfaces (about 5 to 8 mins)

transfer to baking dish using 1/2'd apples as a base/trivet to rest pork belly on while roasting and pour in some liquid (water, apple juice or diluted apple cider/vinegar)

Roast slowly for 1 hour and 20 mins

then crank up the oven to 180 degrees for another 40mins

Take out and rest for 10mins
Crank up oven to 200 degrees

when cool enough to work with slice belly away from the bones and slice longways (where cuts are) to form large fingers
slice bones into separate "ribs"

place a wire rack in baking dish on top of melted apples and add tiny bit of liquid of your choice so apples don't burn

place pork belly fingers and ribs over rack and roast a final 10mins making sure you get a good crunchy crust of crackling as well as edges of fingers getting a good rendering of fat

twindizzy, Jun 12, 2:17am
just cook on a bed of half cut onions with a some stock in bottom

wendalls, Sep 2, 11:08am
I have also tried annabels and chelseas. Chelseas is way easier, fool proof, no waste of milk if your pan is big. tender and tasty.