Swede time once again

Page 1 / 2
rainrain1, Jun 13, 10:04pm
The swedes are beautiful this year, crisp and sweet, thought I would share this I reckon it was really worth making, First time ever I have made swede soup as such.
Suggest you taste it before adding the cream, as I think it is good without it.

Swede Soup or, (flash name) Golden Pottage

2 Tblsp butter
1 large onion chopped roughly
3 Tblsp raw rice
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsp raw sugar
1 cup cream (maybe not use at all)
3 rashers bacon chopped
750gr peeled and cubed swede
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 cups water
Saute bacon and onion for 4-5 minutes in a large saucepan.
Add swede and continue to sauté another 5 minutes.
Add rice, salt, curry, nutmeg, sugar and water and bring to the boil.
Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes or until swede is tender.
Puree with blender or food processor, then bring to the boil again.
Add and allow to heat gently.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley.

jan2242, Jun 13, 10:34pm
That sounds yum - will have to try it - thanks.

rainrain1, Jun 13, 10:40pm
Second last line is supposed to say add cream and allow to heat gently.

jan2242, Jun 16, 10:48pm
Made this last night - YUM! Much nicer than Pumpkin soup. Many thanks.

rainrain1, Jun 16, 11:24pm
Great that you enjoyed it . I am definitely going to make it again

amasser, Jun 16, 11:58pm
With that many ingredients, it would be quicker to leave the swedes out as they spoil the taste!

rainrain1, Jun 17, 1:59am
Go for it wiseguy

lythande1, Jun 17, 2:26am
I'm so jealous. No proper swedes up in Auckland. :-(

MMM, swede souflle, roast swede.

pauline999, Jun 17, 2:44am
erm . what's the difference between swedes and turnips ? Could I use turnips in this recipe ?

kay141, Jun 17, 3:01am
You can freeze them for a short time to mimic a good Southland frost. I do, and for parsnips as well.

rainrain1, Jun 17, 3:52am
Swedes are large, some as big as your head :) and yellow fleshed, turnips are quite small, white, with a bit of a peppery taste. Is that right peoples? I'm not so sure the turnip would be as nice as the swede for this recipe, but why not give it a try. My hubby loves swede, but he hates the white turnip, so there is quite a difference in flavour.
I'm sure the things we call swedes today, were referred to as turnips years ago. so you tell me. so many varieties now as well, maybe there is a small turnip that tastes like a swede. Confused? Me too.

strowan1, Jun 21, 1:27am
Have just made this, lucky enough to have lots of swedes and always looking for different ways to use them. I didn't add the cream and found the flavour to be subtle and warming. Thank you for sharing Rain, this soup is delicious, an absolute keeper! Have to agree the swede is a wonderful winter veg.

rainrain1, Jun 21, 6:20am
Glad you enjoyed it

petmacorpltd, Jun 21, 8:26am
Is raw rice uncooked rice? Am I being thick here?

rainrain1, Jun 21, 9:00am
raw, uncooked yes,

lythande1, Jun 21, 8:16pm
Freezing a harvested swede has the effect of making it mushy like so many unblanched veges.

It does not mimic temps when the plant is still in the ground growing.

jan2242, Jun 21, 10:29pm
Made this a second time and used 1/2 swede and 1/2 pumpkin as didn't have enough swedes. Also added some celery and carrot- was just as nice. I think this is a great base soup for all sorts.

rainrain1, Jun 21, 10:50pm
I made half swede, half pumpkin the second time as well. I thought the original with all swede was nicer though. But it is a good base, I know what you're sayin'

arielbooks, Jun 25, 4:17am
Just made this, fabulous. I had no bacon so used homemade chicken stock and half a finely chopped leek. Had some. chunky and some pureed. Very nice both ways but I preferred the chunky version best.

samanya, Jun 25, 5:05am
Haven't had a decent swede for a long time, but I have made a similar soup.
I think it was one of Alison Holst's recipes & made the humble swede very tasty.
*Makes note to self to source a swede*.

jan2242, Jun 26, 3:06am
About to make some more, and this time I am using a bacon hock - can't wait.

rainrain1, Jun 26, 5:19am
ha ha way to go!

karlymouse, Jun 28, 12:19am
tempted to try. haven't found a swede recipe yet I have liked. not a fan of the flavour of swede. but perhaps small amount in amongst other strong flavours would be ok.

uli, Jul 1, 5:21am
bump for swedes

lynja, Jul 1, 7:50pm
As kumera is so expensive at the momentI have been roasting swede instead. Really nice.