'Franz Square' - has anyone a recipe? My Mum used

elsielaurie1, Jan 18, 2:40am
to make it - It was made in a sponge roll tin - It has a plain vanilla base with raspberry jam spread on top covered with a cocoa based topping, baked then iced when hot. ?

harrislucinda, Jan 18, 3:12am
got some thing like that will have to look for you

harrislucinda, Jan 18, 3:21am
mine called tango squares
125 grm butter 50 grm sugar 200 grm flour vanilla ess
cream butter sugar and ess work in flour press into sandwich tray chill then spread with raspberry jam
topping
cream 50 grm butter with 50 grm brown sugar add tblsp golden syrup then 1 tblsp cocoa dissolved in 2 tlbsp boiling water add 4oz flour 2tsp cinnamon 1 tsp baking powder spread over base bake 30 min at 350 deg ice with chocolate icing

strowan1, Jan 18, 3:24am
x1
Unsure if this is the recipe you’re after, this is called Franzie Slice. It does sound a little different, but it may help.

90grms butter
60grms (1/4 Cup) sugar
1 egg
1 breakfast cup of flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
Raspberry jam for spreading

Topping
50 grm butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tblsp coconut
1 tblsp milk
1dsspn golden syrup
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 breakfast cup - sultanas, glacé cherries and walnuts (guessing this means
1 cup total)

Preheat oven to 180C
Cream butter and sugar, add egg and beat. Add flour, BP and salt. press into 20 x 30cm tin and spread with the jam.
Topping:
Cream butter and sugar, add egg beat again. Then add coconut, milk, golden syrup and vanilla essence. Now stir in flour, BP, sultanas, chopped cherries and walnuts. Spread this mixture over the raspberry jam.
Bake for 45 minutes. When cold ice with chocolate icing, or sprinkle with icing sugar instead, cut into squares.

Taken from ‘A Good Baking Day, 500 recipes from the kitchens of Rural Women New Zealand’.

elsielaurie1, Nov 3, 2:00am
Thank you - this reads as if it is 'the' one. Yes, I do remember a 'Tan' square, but not 'Tango'. I will be baking this tomorrow to send to Melbourne along with my Mum's Belgium Square (to a young man who has fond memories of these goodies.) Many thank yous for your trouble. :-)