Limoncello recipe advice please

samanya, Dec 16, 10:35pm
I'm making Limoncello for a couple of presents & most of the recipes call for Lisbon type lemons, but I've used Meyer as I have a laden tree. Because the Meyers are not as 'lemony' being a cross (I have used zest from a few more than suggested) . I wondered, if to get more lemon flavour into the vodka, instead of making a water/sugar syrup for stage #2 . could I use a lemon juice/sugar mix?
Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

akl439, Dec 17, 1:52am
No don't. I only ever use Meyer and it turns out beautiful anyway.

julie55, Dec 17, 2:32am
Meyer lemons are absolutely fine.

susieq9, Dec 17, 5:18am
I only use Meyer lemons. No problems and delicious.

beaker59, Dec 17, 5:37am
Comes down to taste I guess, I didn't like the Meyer lemon batch I made.

samanya, Dec 17, 6:13am
Thanks everyone, advice much appreciated & reassuring.
I've never made it before & of course will have to have a little sample before I bottle it, for quality control reasons only . ;o)

persioux, Dec 17, 9:48pm
How long would homemade Limoncello last would you think. I seem to recall when I made it that it only lasted a couple of months.

akl439, Dec 17, 10:19pm
You keep it in the freezer (it doesn't freeze because of the alcohol). In my house it doesn't last long!

samanya, Dec 18, 2:49am
All rrecipes that I've seen recommend serving it icy cold & keeping it in the freezer.
My batch is smelling wonderful.

susieq9, Dec 18, 2:50am
I have had it last a year in glass bottles in the cupboard. Still yummy. Also depends how often you drink it.lol

beaker59, Dec 20, 1:48am
Also depends on Alcohol content, allot of recipes I have seen lately doing the rounds are very low alcohol I like 25% + closer to 40% the better.

happymullen, Dec 20, 8:09am
What to do with it? I have a bottle, as a gift, never really know what or how to serve it. Thanks for any suggestions.

beaker59, Dec 21, 3:37am
Keep it in the freezer, serve in a chilled glass straight, have it after dinner, or with a desert.

marianaw, Dec 21, 4:28am
All I can say is this is delicious, you are going to make some people very happy, what a great gift, My sister made me some for my 60th birthday, had never tried it before, and love it. Will be making some for myself.

samanya, Dec 21, 6:49am
Thanks, that is most reassuring, as I said it is smelling wonderful & lemony. It's for rellies who can afford to buy whatever they want, so the 'home made, with love' was the way I decided to go this year.

surf2, Dec 24, 3:24pm
Sounds yumm! Any chance of the recipe. Thanks in advance

uli, Dec 24, 9:03pm
bump for limoncello

grouch, Dec 25, 12:48am
Yes I made it and only used meyer lemons. It was lovely.

survivalkiwi, Dec 25, 8:36am
I make the Annabel langbein recipe and add extra lemon juice. Doesn't last in this house either.

survivalkiwi, Feb 27, 8:55am
Rind of 8 lemons some pith ok. 2 1/2 cups of vodka. Let it sit for 48 hours.
Boil 1 cup water, 3/4 cup sugar, 3 cloves, juice of 3 lemons until syrupy and combine. And its done.
strain before mix