Finger food for drinks party

sherrydog, Nov 22, 7:18am
Has anyone any ideas for some nice fingerfood for a drinks party? Am giving one in a couple of weeks and need some ideas apart from, say, club sandwiches, sausage rolls etc. Something easy and possibly doesn't need to be heated. Am getting into a bit of a panic at the thought of it all! With thanks.

kmole, Nov 22, 7:23am
Sliced cucumber with salmon and dill and cream cheese.
Toast French stick rounds and google crostini toppings.

thuntzster, Nov 22, 7:50am
1 Cut your sausage rolls into 2cm slices and spread with tomato or basil pesto. Sprinkle with herbs and have a dipping sauce in the middle of the platter.
2 Slice french stick on the diagonal, spread with cream cheese mixed with horseradish sauce. Place a slice of smoked salmon, thin slice of lemon and capers over the top. Sprinkle with pepper and dill. Be a charming hostess x

nanasee1, Nov 22, 7:53am
Rice paper rolls, can be made the day before and kept damp. Lots of filling options. Serve with a chilli or soy dipping sauce.

sherrydog, Nov 22, 8:01am
Thank you all very much. Some great ideas - those and a g&t and I am sure all with be fine - hopefully!

rchelley, Nov 22, 8:01am
I often make little pastry cases (in a mini muffin tin) and bake. Fill with a mix of cream cheese, basil pesto dip and top with half a roasted cherry tomato.

or Alison Holsts cream cheese pate served with vege sticks and crackers

Mini quiches or pastry cases topped with caramelised onion and feta then baked - both are nice served cold

dwyn5, Nov 22, 9:12am
Sesame Fingers
Loaf of 1 or 2 day old white sandwich sliced bread
6oz soft butter - not melted
1 pkt sesame seeds - lightly browned in dry fry pan first
1pkt onion soup mix
Mix butter, seeds and soup mix together and spread onto bread right out to the edges. Cut each slice into 3 and bake in 180 deg. oven until nicely browned. Wait until cold before storing in an airtight tin. Serve cold and crisp. Not very sophisticated but certainly very tasty.

jynx66, Nov 22, 9:15am
These are similar to eclairs but are savoury, made with a tasty cheese. You can also split them and put a savoury filling inside:

Gougere

125 G Unsalted Butter
1 Teaspoon Salt
250 Ml Water
125 G Plain Flour
220 G Beaten Eggs (about 4 Large Eggs)
40 Grams Grated Gruyere

Place the cold water, salt and butter in a small, heavy-based saucepan and bring slowly to the boil over high heat stirring all the time.
Remove from heat and quickly beat in all the flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until it forms a solid ball. Put back on the heat for a minute or so, beating all the time to dry out the mixture a little.
Gradually incorporate the cheese and the beaten eggs.
Place walnut-sized drops of the batter on a silicone sheet on a tray. OR form a circle so that they will just touch as they rise and bake.
Bake at 205C for twenty minutes or until puffed and golden.

jobb, Nov 22, 6:06pm
how about a cheese or antipasti platter and breads and dips - oil, dukka, pesto, hummus.
if doing something sweet - mini muffins, bite size slices or cake, cream puffs or xmas fruit mince pies.

mackenzie2, Nov 22, 6:07pm
Just remember that people are going to have a drink in one hand, so what ever you are serving has to be easy to eat, also no bones or toothpicks embarassing to stand there knowing how to dispose of them. I always make my nibbles two bite sized, enjoy your evening

kiwitrish, Nov 22, 11:10pm
I have made these and they are so yummy.

Pesto Parmesan Palmiers
Puff pastry sheets
½ cup pesto
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
garlic salt to sprinkle
Method
Unroll the pastry and lay flat. Brush or spread the pesto to completely cover the pastry. Sprinkle with the parmesan and garlic salt. Roll the long edges into the middle from both sides. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least ½ hour to firm up. Can be frozen at this stage.
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
Slice with a sharp knife into pencil thick slices. Place on the prepared tray. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm

kaddiew, Nov 22, 11:30pm
That looks good. :) So refreezing the thawed pastry sheets is OK? I've never been sure about that.

kiwitrish, Nov 22, 11:37pm
I honestly never bother. I just bake them straight away

bev00, Nov 23, 10:29am
Perfect for the Season Merriment

willyow, Nov 24, 12:15am
Make small pork meatballs on sticks - plenty of recipes about - but add two
heaped tablespoons of sweet miso paste per 500g meat to the mix before cooking - superyummy!

clareo, Nov 24, 6:14am
Hi, We recently hosted about 80 - and had an awesome time. The following recipes were some of the most popular and could also be done beforehand -
http://www.radiolive.co.nz/Chicken-ginger-and-coriander-meatballs-recipe/tabid/445/articleID/32031/Default.aspx http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/ham-cheese-and-mustard-muffins
And also smoked salmon blinis - so easy.
We also served lots of other items - but these were really popular.

spawnman, Nov 24, 10:00am
Cherry tomatoes tops cut off & scoop out the pulp. Sit upside down on a handed towel to get rid of excess moisture. Fill with a tsp of goats cheese mashed with fresh basil & salt & pepper. Very easy & yummy.

bev00, Jun 4, 9:44am
yummy ideas