Bone Broth.

Page 1 / 2
patsprat, Aug 17, 9:30pm
Sounds strangely like the old fashioned 'stock' that most of us here have been making for, oh, decades? And our mothers before us probably. Great that it has finally been discovered and given a proper name; I suspect that one result will be that bones of any sort will now become expensive - look at lamb shanks once they were discovered and made fashionable! Ah progress!

awoftam, Aug 18, 8:14am
Yes lol I saw that on a TV show the other day and had a chuckle - a fitness expert showing a well known NZ chef how to make it - how the chef kept a straight face is beyond me.

uli, Aug 18, 9:38am
. let us not talk about beef cheeks!

letitia, Aug 18, 3:02pm
In the 1950s my mother used to make what she called 'beef tea' using beef bones which had a bit of meat still on them. We were given this to drink when we had colds and coughs and didn't feel like eating solid food. She believed it helped speed up recovery. 'Bone broth' seems to be another name for the same thing. I wonder if it has just been thought up or if it is an old term rediscovered.

hd07, Aug 18, 8:48pm
Was just speaking about this with someone the other day - it's like reinventing the wheel. Give it a new name and it's trendy (and personally, I think bone broth sounds disgusting). I've been making stock like that my entire adult life, and my mother did it when I was a child (and no doubt her mother/grandmother before her. ).

It is similar to the suddenly trendy 'waist trainer' - it's just an old fashioned corset (which were not good for internal organs).

kay141, Aug 18, 9:11pm
Too late, it's trendy. Have a look at the price of soup bones in the supermarkets. I saw cannon bones in CD the other day. $5.99 each, no meat and not cut up.

patsprat, Aug 18, 9:40pm
Yep, knew that would happen! You won't find any chicken frames going cheaply any more, and as for shin on the bone, well that has been creeping up in $$ for a while. Reinventing the wheel, certainly, ha ha.
And yes, Letitia, my mother too was a firm believer in the absolute power of beef tea to cure anything, it was the first remedy produced for whatever ailed anyone. Can't have done any harm and was delicious. Wonder what the trendies will 'discover' next? Something no one would have ever heard of I guess . not!

kay141, Aug 18, 11:15pm
I read somewhere recently that rolled oat porridge is the "new" thing. There is a cafe in USA, New York I think, serving it all day.

Pity my parents or grandparents are no longer around. It would definitely give them a giggle.

whitehead., Aug 18, 11:23pm
i can tell you how it used to be made ,cant see anyone doing it now but you lid the bones on an oven dish and grilled them till brown with black bits to add flaover and then you packed them in a pot and boiled them .you got a nice brown very taste soup .its a lot of work for great soup

kay141, Aug 18, 11:27pm
The only difference between the recipes for bone broth and the usual stock recipe is the addition of apple cider vinegar with the bones and then leaving the bones to soak for up to 48 hours before cooking.

awoftam, Aug 19, 6:38am
Yip. And unless the vinegar has the mother in it, will pretty much be a waste of time. And even if it has, I am unsure as to the benefit.

patsprat, Aug 19, 6:57am
Ah but this is "Bone Broth", not just your Nana's old boiled up stock so it's something quite different. with entirely new properties and benefits never before discovered

awoftam, Aug 19, 7:08am
Yes ha ha - 'Bone broth' sounds blardy horrible and probably a play on the latest money making (paleo) trend.

jallen2, Aug 19, 7:09am
From what I understand the difference between bone broth and stock is that the bone broth is COOKED for at least 48 hours and has the addition of vinegar which is to leech out the calcium and marrow and sort of "melt" the connective tissue (collagen). Beef bones become like pumice - with tiny little holes through - and chicken bones crumble between your fingers.
I have been making it recently and it tastes quite different to stock - and has quite a different texture.
I have been making stock all my life - I must say I much prefer the taste of stock but I can see the health value of the bone broth.

I do wonder if it tastes like the "master stock" that are passed from generation to generation in China. I would love to try them! I think the oldest is about 100 years old which blows my mind! lol.

patsprat, Aug 19, 7:47am
Could be, Jallen, (I admit to being a master cynic!) and maybe there's something different about it so perhaps I shouldn't disparage. Off to make a cauldron of beef tea.

uli, Aug 19, 9:22am
Beef tea is made from beef bones with meat on them.
Bone broth is made from marrow bones.

In a Mother Earth magazine I once found a recipe for "goat berry tea" a garden fertilizer apparently. it wasn't cooked though!

uli, Aug 19, 9:23am
The benefit of vinegar is to get some more minerals out of the bones as it is acid.
You do not need the mother in it at all.

twelve12, Aug 19, 9:30am
Stock should be a jelly when cool, broth stays liquid.
It's also a very old concept.
I sometimes keep a crockpot of chicken broth going over a week or so. Especially if we're going to be busy. Easy dinners, and very tasty.

wendalls, Aug 19, 9:58am
But it seems to me that the collagen in the jelly is the best bit, so stock is good! And of course pan juices. mmmmm.

dbab, Aug 20, 4:59am

samanya, Aug 21, 6:03am
Thanks for that link . there's some appealing (to me) recipes there.

awoftam, Aug 21, 6:10am
"Superfood" - another term coined by marketers designed to have people pay outrageous prices for weird food of little or unproven benefit.

rainrain1, Aug 21, 6:15am
Preferably organic bones. my arse. there is no benefit whatsoever in organic bones . what a joke

samanya, Aug 21, 6:38am
yep!
& they bugger it up for those of us who knew that already, by charging a heap more!

samanya, Aug 21, 6:38am
Double yep!