Dark syrup gingerbread-cookessentials

bev00, Feb 11, 10:13am
Sticky Black Gingerbread

250g each treacle, butter and soft brown sugar, 2 eggs beaten, 360g flour, 2 dsp ground ginger, 3 t cinnamon, pinch of salt, 300ml milk warmed to blood heat, 2 t baking soda.

Oven 150C in 20 x 30cm lined cake tin.
Melt treacle, butter and sugar together, cool a little and add eggs. Sift dry ingredients and stir in. Stir baking soda into warmed milk until dissolved and mix in gently.
Bake about 1 ¼ - 1 ½ hours.

Quoteindy95 (23 ) 12:02 pm, Sun 10 Feb #2
This is the recipe as in the AWW book. I double all the spices (my preference & never enough ginger for my taste) and instead of frosting, I top the cake with sliced almonds before baking, same as the Jamaican Ginger cake you buy. I have also made this with golden syrup instead of treacle with a good result but not as dark. It's a lovely moist cake and according to the recipe it keeps well, it doesn't last long enough in our house to confirm this though. Enjoy.

Moist Treacle Gingerbread
3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup SR flour
1/2 teasp baking soda
1 teasp ground ginger
1/4 teasp ground cinnamon
1/4 teasp mixed spice
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup milk
60g butter
1/2 cup treacle

Lemon frosting
60g butter
1 teasp grated lemon rind
1 cup icing sugar
2 teasp lemon juice

Grease and line 14cm x 21cm loaf pan. Sift flours, soda and spices into a bowl. Stir in sugar and combined egg and milk. Melt butter and treacle together. Stir into flour mixture and mix well. Pour into prep'd loaf pan Bake @ 180C for 50 minutes. When cooled spread with Lemon frosting.
For frosting, beat together butter and rind until creamy. Gradually add icing sugar and enough lemon juice to make a spreadable consistency.

Quotenauru (124 ) 8:26 pm, Sun 10 Feb

nauru, Feb 11, 10:29am
Bev00, thanks for adding my (or AWW ) recipe to the thread. I have also made this into muffins with good results too.

ruby19, Feb 11, 6:56pm
I love the Ruth pretty gingerbread loaf, but it is quite funny when I cook it it turns out dark in colour, and when friends cook it it is a lot paler, even though we use the same ingredients. I must do something slightly different without knowing it!

cookiebarrel, Feb 12, 2:13am
Don't you just love her books? I'm looking forward to getting the Jams and preserves one.

cookessentials, Feb 12, 2:54am
The parkin, which is a typically Yorkshire recipe is not dark, although, it IS moist and sticky. I am pretty sure that all the ginger loaf recipes I have posted are on the ginger gems thread.

bev00, Feb 12, 11:22am
for gingerbread fans

esther-anne, Jun 24, 8:10am
Thank you cooks for that wonderful recipe - you posted it around April I think in a thread on here.

Made it today. Totally moist, sticky, absolutely decadent. If I have one criticism it would be that it needs more ginger, for my own taste anyway - but it's sumptuous.

My husband just gave a large slice a 30 sec whirl in the microwave and added his favourite plain vanilla ice cream - last seen drooling and contenplating another helping!

Delicious, thanks for sharing your recipes!

cookessentials, Jun 24, 8:47am
Hi esther-anne, you are most welcome. I am glad you enjoyed it. Maybe it was in the "ginger gems" thread which turned into an "anything ginger" thread.

sarahb5, Oct 13, 11:01pm
I'm hunting this out at the moment - no luck so far but the ginger gem thread is a handy clue!

sarahb5, Oct 13, 11:42pm
Its not the parkin and I don't think it would be the one with walnuts either as we all hate them so it must be the other one but I'm after a dark and sticky one like my auntie used to make in a square baking tin so I'll keep looking

245sam, Oct 13, 11:54pm
Are any of these any help sarahb5? - they're from the former Trademe Cooks.

"Old English Gingerbread
500g (4 cups) self-raising flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp ground ginger, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 and a 1/2 cups soft brown sugar
175g butter, 6 tbsp treacle, 6 tbsp golden syrup, 300ml milk, 2 eggs, 1 tbsp warm milk to mix, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon, 2 tbsp approx. demerara or raw sugar. Method; Sift together flour, salt, ginger and baking powder. In a saucepan, warm sugar, butter, treacle and golden syrup. In a separate pan, warm the 300ml of milk and beat in eggs. Combine with flour and syrup mixtures and mix thoroughly. Mix tablespoon of warm milk and bicarbonate soda together, then add to the mixture. Put into a 25cm square, well-greased or baking-paper lined cake tin. Mix the cinnamon with the demerara or raw sugar and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours (or until firm) at 180°C.

Gingerbread
Ingredients, 125g butter, 1/2 cup White Sugar, 1 cup Treacle, 1/2 cup milk, 3 cups flour, 1 and a 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, Chelsea Icing Sugar to dust. Method, Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a 23 cm square cake tin or small roasting dish with non-stick baking paper. Heat butter, sugar & treacle together in a saucepan until butter is just melted. Remove from heat, stir in milk. Cool slightly. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and tip in liquid ingredients. Mix quickly. Don’t over mix. Spread mixture in prepared cake tin and bake for 45 – 50 minutes until gingerbread has risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 – 15 minutes before tipping out onto a cake rack. Dust with icing sugar to serve2
above both posted by pam.delilah

Very Good Common Gingerbread
from Lincolnshire foodie magazine. At the National Trusts Gunby Hall near Spilsby, this recipe was found in a handwritten Housekeepers Book dating from 1818. It has been converted from ounces to grams. 225g w/meal flour 100g butter 100g castor sugar 1 t ground ginger 1T caraway seeds 1 T treacle 2 T water set oven to 160deg. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Beat butter and sugar till light & fluffy, add flour, ginger & caraways and mix well. Add the treacle. Add sufficient water to form a stiff malleable dough. Roll out into thicj sausage shape, approx 2.5cm diameter, length 60cm. Cut into 30 pieces for large biscuits or 60 for bitesize. For the large ones, roll into a ball, place on sheet and flatten slightly. Reform small ones into a circle and place on tray as the are. Bake the large biscuits 20 minutes, the small ones 15 minutes until golden brown on base and top. Cool on wire rack and store in airtight container. They will keep for at least a week. I haven't made them yet- would be interested how they turn out if anyone makes them.
posted by katalin2" :-))

Edited to add. oops, now I read that last recipe properly - it certainly isn't what you're wanting, but hopefully one or the other (or both) of the first two recipes will be what you're wanting. :-))

sarahb5, Oct 14, 1:05am
I am so blonde sometimes - just realised I have the exact recipe because I have the same recipe book that she used!

So here it is if anyone wants it:

Grease and line a square 20cm cake tin and preheat the oven to 140. In a large saucepan melt together 100g butter, 150g of black treacle, 50g of golden syrup and 50g of brown sugar. Add 150ml of milk and allow to cool. Beat in 2 eggs and 1 tsp baking soda. Sift together 200g flour, 1 tsp mixed spice and 2 tsps ground ginger. Fold in to liquid mixture and stir in 100g sultanas, raisins or finely chopped dates. Pour into tin and bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Turn out and ice with white glace icing when cool. Decorate with crystallised ginger.

jynx66, Oct 14, 8:22pm
esther-anne, why don't you post the recipe again so that we can be sure we've got the same one?

esther-anne, Oct 15, 8:39am
Absolutely that's the one - sorry to make everyone wonder what the heck I was talking about - should have been more explicit from the start.

esther-anne, Oct 15, 8:45am
jynx66 - so sorry, I wasn't ignoring you, just being a bit remiss! It is the one elliehen referred to in #6. Totally delicious and of course the secret seemed to be in pouring the dark sugar and water over the warm cake. Decadent of course - but who cares, we could all descend into some kind of decadence sometime in our lives!

jynx66, Oct 16, 6:18pm
Thank you ester-anne. Must go and try it. They all sound delicious but there's nothing like a personal recommendation like the one you gave at the start of this thread.

village.green, Mar 6, 7:45am
We love gingerbread and I've been making Alexa Johnson's recipe from her book 'Ladies a Plate'. I always add cut up pieces of crystallised ginger to put in mixture as well as powdered ginger as we really like a good hit of the spice.