What to do with potatoes?

bev00, Mar 14, 1:25pm
gnocchi for approx 4 people,

2 med floury potatoes (agria), wash dirt off and pierce the skin with a fork, rollthe spuds in rock salt and bake untill tender- this helps to remove the moisture in the potato and make nice light gnocchi. Put a deep pot of water on to boil. Remove the skin of the spud and mash. Add 2 yolks, plenty of salt and pepper mix lightly, knead in enough flour to make a soft dough, you need to be able to shape it and it shoulddn't be sticking to you at all.

Break the dough into manageable pieces (1/4s) and roll it into a long worm about 5mm in diameter, then cut about 1cm long. Flick them onto a bit of baking paper and drop them into the boiling water, let them rise to the surface and float for a minute or so them scoop them out and you-re done.

You can add a couple of teaspoons mustard to the dough, or grate in some parmesan

Quotegeorge091 (100 ) 11:28 pm, Sat 30 Apr #2
1 part potato to 1/2 part flour. only use good quality agria though and make sure they are only just cooked!

Quoteribzuba (92 ) 11:29 pm, Sat 30 Apr #3
Basically use one yolk to every medium spud you use. Don't play with the dough too much, the more you mix it the tougher your gnocchi will get

Quotegeorge091 (100 ) 11:31 pm, Sat 3

Quotebev00 (1725 ) 11:16 pm, Thu 3 May #5
This sounds lovely -

Here's a recipe for potato bread - it makes two very light moist loaves. With any bread is important that the dough is kneaded properly, and while you can start it off in an electric mixer you really need to finish it by hand.

White Bread with Potato

500g potatoes, steamed and mashed or riced,
1 kg strong white flour,
1 tab dried yeast (not instant),
300 ml warm milk,
300 ml warm water,
2 tsp salt.

Dissolve yeast in liquids and leave to stand while you rub the potato into the flour and salt . Add the yeast liquid, mix to a soft dough and knead for about 10 min until elastic and bouncy.

Put into a large bowl, cover and either leave to rise about 2 hours until doubled in bulk or refrigerate until the next day (it will rise slowly in the fridge).

When you are ready, set oven to 220C, punch down dough and shape in two loaves or 36 rolls, cover and leave to rise about 30 min (or longer if dough was refrigerated). Bake loaves about 45 min, rolls about 20 min until golden brown. Cool completely on rack before cutting. You can use 500g cooked white rice instead of potato.

Quotedavidt4 (201 ) 9:02 am, Fri 25 Nov #2

Quotebev00 (1725 ) 12:47 am, Sun 25 Nov #6
I have a recipe and its an Alison Holst one its he potato pancake recipe. My children love it when I make it because I add extras into it. but here is a bit about it then the recipe follows. Potato pancakes seem especially popular with children - they enjoy their texture and mild flavor.
Because the potato browns on prolonged standing, do not mix the batter until you plan to cook it. If you like you can mix the first six ingredients in a bowl and add the potato and flour just before cooking. In this recipe the potato is grated straight into the bowl, and is not squeezed first. If the mixture seems a little wet, add 2-3 tablespoons of extra flour. This will depend on the potatoes used.

For a serving for 6.

2 eggs unbeaten
2 Tbls Milk
1 onion, Very finely chopped
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
500 gms raw potatoes
1/4 cup Flour
oil

In a basin mix the eggs,milk,onion,and seasonings. Stir with a fork until mixed. Just before cooking, grate the scrubbed (or thinly peeled) potatoes into the mixture and add the flour. If Wholemeal flour is used, increase the quantity slightly. Fry spoonfuls of the mixture in oil about 5mm deep for 3 mins each side, until golden brown. If the cooking time is too short, the potato will not be cooked in the center.
Serve alone, or with tomatoes or mushrooms. I have added other things to this recipe like frozen peas or Mixed veges or leftover veges

Quotegail1231 (0) 1:24 am, Mon 12 Mar #13

macandrosie, Mar 18, 8:41am
I think the secret to cooking potatoes is once they come to the boil turn them right back to low with lid on firmly. Since changing to a gas cook top they cook perfectly every time!

1suze, Mar 18, 6:56pm
Learn't that (bring to boil and turn off) by accident when once I thought I would just get the spuds slightly precooked and then left them in water.
Yes they were perfect.
just my 2cents worth

bev00, Mar 19, 10:08am
recycling for spuds

lythande1, Mar 19, 7:22pm
What?! How wasteful.
Mash. fried up leftover potato, numerous things you could do.
Use them for croquettes.

l*****1, Mar 20, 8:28am
Fish cakes - add a can of salmon or fresh fish, an egg and some herbs. Make into cakes, the size of your palm and cook for 2 mins each side. Yummo.

asue, Mar 20, 10:28am
Sally Lunn bun?

herself, Mar 20, 10:54pm
Now why did you delete half of datoofairys question out of your quote lythande1.
To make her sound wasteful?
This what datoofairy asked in post 1
I scraped a big pot of new potatoes tonight and was very disappointed when they fell to bits as soon as they were cooked.
I was going to throw them out, but now I'm wondering if they taste ok made into fritters or something?
Does anyone have a yummy, basic recipe using cooked new potatoes please?
So where is the wastefulness lythande? She was wanting to use the potatoes, NOT throw them out.

herself, Mar 21, 9:34pm
Oh, I forgot to say, I would use up the potatoes in potato bread.

datoofairy, Jan 9, 7:00am
I scraped a big pot of new potatoes tonight and was very disappointed when they fell to bits as soon as they were cooked.
I was going to throw them out, but now I'm wondering if they taste ok made into fritters or something?
Does anyone have a yummy, basic recipe using cooked new potatoes please?

lcl2, Jan 9, 7:02am
Mix potato bits with an egg, herbs and about 1/4 cup flour. Mix together until just combined and cook in a hot pan until golden.

Never waste food that has gone wrong (unless it is totally burnt), there is always a way to use it up.

datoofairy, Jan 9, 7:08am
Thank you, we will have them tomorrow night.
Any ideas what to do with the rest of the 2kg box?

pickles7, Jan 9, 7:08am
Potato soup, of some sort. All the goodness will be in the water.

datoofairy, Jan 9, 7:10am
Oh yeah, I could make a potato based chowder. Its cold enough to be winter here at the moment, so a big bowl of chowder sounds great!

hestia, Jan 9, 7:15am
Potato Farls

2 cups cooked mashed potato
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoon melted butter

Place all ingredients in a bowl, and mix together to form a dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly. Divide the dough into two portions. Roll out each portion into a flat circle about 1/2 cm thick. Cut the circle into four quarters. Heat a frying pan, and cook in the pan for 3-4 minutes each side. Serve immediately.

The word farl comes from the Gaelic word fardel, meaning four parts or quarters.

mcdaff, Jan 9, 10:53am
Bring the potatoes to the boil in salted water with mint, boil for no longer than a minute or two then turn off. Leave in water til cooked. That way they don't break up.

rainrain1, Jan 9, 6:21pm
Potato Farts

ttwisty, Dec 8, 6:05pm
potato croquettes