'Christmas' Biscotti

freckle, Nov 16, 9:21am
Does anyone have a tried and true Christmas Biscotti recipe (with cranberries) they can post on here please? I had a very good one but somehow managed to lose it :( There are heaps when I google but would much rather use a recommended one. TIA :) :)

245sam, Nov 17, 2:32am
From the former Trade Me Cooks.

"I make biscotti probably twice a week.
Here is my basic recipe. 2 cups plain flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 cup caster sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 3 eggs lightly beaten. Sift dry ingredients into large bowl and add any of the following (whatever you like), almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts, glace cherries, crystallised ginger, choc chips, dried apricot pieces, dried cranberries, grated orange or lemon rind. I also like a few spices like nutmeg, ground ginger, cinnamon, mixed spice. Mix together add the beaten eggs. Should be dry mix. Shape into 2 logs and put in oven. Bake @ 180°c for 30mins. Remove from oven and let stand for 15-20mins. Slice into pieces about 1 cm thick. Place back on tray standing up. Reduce heat to about 150° and bake for about 25mins or until golden.

Some of my favourite combinations are:
hazelnuts, choc chips, cherries and rum. I also reduce the flour by 1/4c and add in 1/4c cocoa. Another one is pistachios, grated orange rind, dried apricots and ground ginger & cinnamon. Or almonds & macadamias, crystallised ginger, dried cranberries and white choc bits. I find if adding choc bits, I like to reduce the sugar by 1/4c as it can be too sweet. I have tried all sorts of flavours, nuts and dried fruits with great success. Use your imagination and have fun.

Ive added dark rum, brandy, kahlua and a lemon liqueur to many of my recipes and I would say its about 2 capfuls. You could use more, but if you mix is too moist, just add a little more flour to it.
the above all posted by rkcroft"

"Here is my two for this xmas
the standard dough mix of 2 cups of plain flour, 1 cup of caster sugar, 3 tsp of baking powder (I like to add more to get the dough more risen in the first cook) sift into a large mixing bowl, 3 eggs (or more if needed) and a good dash (Tbsp or so) of vanilla essence whisked in another bowl.

Orange, apricot, white chocolate and almond .
put the finely grated rind of at least one orange, a good 1 - 2 tsp mixed spice, a couple of handfuls of finely chopped dried apricots, 1 small pack of slivered almonds and around 3/4 pack of white choc melts into the dry mix and combine, add the eggs and mix, it should be a dry mixture, when its pretty well mixed dump it onto a floured surface, (if its too dry add an extra egg) have extra flour handy and get the dough to a not sticky stage with the extra flour, so you can mould it, when you can make it into 2 or 3 medium sized rolls/logs, it doesn't have to be perfect either so don't stress out, put the rolls onto a baking paper lined tray and bake at a mod temp (around 175c) until the rolls are golden and puffed, then take them out, cool for 10 - 15 mins (if your making two diff flavours you can keep the oven going by cooking one lot while another is getting prepared ex I make the first lot, when the first batch of rolls is in the oven, start making the 2nd lot of dough, by the time the first lots had its first bake off, you can start cooking the 2nd lot while the first lot cools) Anyway when the rolls are cool enough (not cold just cool enough to cut) cut into 1-2cm slices and bake them again, but this time stand the slices up on the baking paper, just cook till golden and crispy then cool and put in an airtight container, should last around 5 days.
posted by fetish " :-))

245sam, Nov 17, 2:34am
Continued from #2.

"For a triple chocolate, cranberry and almond
adjust the base recipe above by leaving out 1/4 cup of flour, and putting in the same of a good cocoa powder, then dump on in a packet of craisins (dried cranberrys I use ocean spray brand and they are very addictive and good for you !) a pack of slivered almonds (I use sig range from woolies) then 3/4 of a pack of white, and of dark melts. then treat as above. Biscotti is super easy and so yummy and so very versatile, the base recipe above is thanks (again) to rkcroft its her recipe + my adding more b/powder, you can switch up your additions anyway you like, so give it a go its cheap, and makes a ton for your effort and everyone will think your the most amazing cook ! Merry Christmas 2008 to all of you.
posted by fetish" :-))

freckle, Nov 17, 7:23am
Thanks sooooo much! Dont know where to start, it all sounds so yum. My daughters and I are making biscotti for presents for family and friends :) x

daarhn, Nov 17, 7:26am

freckle, Dec 3, 2:27am
Ooooo yum, will definately try some :) x

freckle, Dec 3, 2:28am
Thanks so much, have tried your basic biscotti and we all love it. In faxt, didnt even get a chance to see how long it would remain fresh as because we ate it all! X

happymullen, Dec 21, 3:05am
Please tell me how to bake "standing up" I haven't tried it but the recipes sound divine. But, I am pretty sure I won't be able to keep them standing up whilst baking them the second time!

autumnwinds, Dec 21, 8:28am
I gave up trying to balance them, and - hot and frustrated - used a hilarious combination of st steel kitchen utensils - toast rack, carving fork, tongs.

It worked, though! You'd be surprised what can be persuaded to make the blinking things stand up and dry out!

(When I was cooler and more reasonable, I realised I could have used the tongs to stand up quite a few at a time, doing them in lines. and I had heaps of tongs to have done that!)

happymullen, Dec 22, 4:07am
HaHa, that would have done my head in! I think I would have put them into the toaster!

johnwood, Mar 8, 12:08am
Yum. Mr Jw wants some.