Butter vs. margarine - the 100 year war

Page 1 / 2
incognetoe, Jun 20, 4:53am

pony_girl, Jun 20, 5:12am
Yes, it's butter in our household . I wouldn't give space in my fridge to the other rubbish !

rachelterry, Jun 20, 7:10am
Other spreads are gross. I made a toasted sandwich with marg once and it melted to the machine like plastic. Never again. At least we know what is in butter.

harrislucinda, Jun 20, 9:54am
what is wrong with the new brands out made with butter milk I don't call those marg

sarahb5, Jun 20, 11:23am
Always been butter in this house - regardless of health benefits, or not, it just tastes better

vmax2, Jun 20, 10:50pm
Yup, fat does not make you fat.

toffeey, Jun 21, 4:06am
I will never understand the use of an artificial product to replace a fairly natural one.

jaygee1962, Jun 21, 4:40am
Butter for me always. Love the Lewis Road stuff :)

davidt4, Jun 21, 4:58am
Lewis Road butter is fabulous, and so is their cream.

jude343, Jun 21, 5:07am
isnt marg 1 step from plastic

imrae1, Jun 21, 6:31am
Butter.

wendalls, Jun 21, 6:51am
I like butter but. Surely certain non butter products aren't that bad? I feel people are lumping all marg. as the bad stuff it first was. I use olivani simply because it spreads easily and tastes ok. compared with the meadowlea that I told my Mum tasted like poison in the 1980's. Feel free to show me how bad Olivani is.

sarahb5, Jun 21, 7:19am
It just doesn't taste as good as butter - we prefer the taste of butter, love olive oil and olives but not fond of that flavour on my toast or in my baking

very_hotpants, Jun 22, 7:48am
Canola spread?

buzzy110, Jun 23, 1:38am
Lol. How about this unscientific blog:
http://christinecronau.com/if-margarine-is-healthier-why-wont-ants-eat-it/

Remember, every spread has the same issue. In order to make a liquid into a solid (oil in a spreadable consistency) it has to undergo certain processes, olivani included.

tomber, Jun 23, 1:46am
I just gave up butter (from a 1.5 packet a week habit) because I like it too much. It never made me fat but I figured there was plenty stored around my organs and I put butter on everything. Margarine is gross in comparison so its easy not to eat. I use olive oil based margarine as it doesn't seem unhealthy - just very boring!

sarahb5, Jun 23, 2:05am
No thanks to anything canola

sarahb5, Jun 23, 2:07am
I don't usually spread butter on anything - if I have a sandwich I don't use fat in it and rarely eat toast/bread anyway so most of my butter consumption would be in baking and I don't eat much of that either

mercury14, Jun 23, 10:49am
Butter, butters better.
We love our butter.
I do buy oliveo for lunch sammies but toast and potatoes plus all other cooking it's the real stuff for us.

resolutionx, Jun 23, 12:39pm
I worked on a job site that backed on to the Goodman Fielder facotry that made margarine. The smell was unforgettable and AWFUL. Two massive "hydrogenation" towers were the source of the smell where basically the fats/oils have hydrogen and acids added and are turned into soap under high pressure/temperature with a nickel catalyst. That's right SOAP!

So why would anyone want to eat this crap? So it starts out as soap and then it it blended with other chemicals/crap to make it look and taste borderline ok? Olivani is made the same way as any other margarine so it is just as bad for you as any other margarine! After all that pressure/temperature, chemical changes and "blending" all of the other crap it is not good for you at all! You are better off placing olive oil directly on your toast because Olivani has not the same benefits/chemical structure as an olive or olive oil!

galex, Jun 23, 2:01pm
http://www.dietdoctor.com/real-association-butter-heart-disease-sweden

"The Swedish butter consumption just keeps going up, while the incidence of heart attacks keeps going down."

vmax2, Jun 23, 10:31pm
Great post resolutionx. Butter is food, Margarine in all its forms is harmful chemicals.

gaspodetwd, Jun 23, 10:44pm
Butter! Fabulous! I've started baking with Lewis road, rather than the average stuff and the result is amazing. Incredible texture and taste. I shall do important baking with the expensive stuff from now on.

poppy5791, Jun 23, 10:50pm
I blend butter and olive oil together so it's spreadable from the fridge and has some good fat not that butter is bad on its own.

buzzy110, Jun 23, 11:33pm
Another bouquet from me to. Great post. Using olive oil, especially EV olive oil is the best idea. I usually add salt to the oil so that it has more flavour as well.