Your Best Pavlova Recipe Please!

campmother2002, Dec 31, 11:48pm
Do you have a Cake Mixer - if so I have any easy one - comes out great every time!

bev00, Feb 12, 9:47am
Here is my crunchy pav, meringue is crunchy and not a lot of soft centre in it.
Crisp Pav.
Pre heat oven to 130c.
2 small cups sugar,2 egg whites at room temp,4 tablespoons boiling water, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 2 teaspoons vinegar, 1 teaspoon cornflour.
Put egg whites, vinegar, sugar into a bowl, ( put some hot water in the sink and sit your bowl in this to warm and melt the sugar, give it a stir) when done remove from sink add boiling water and beat with electric beater till stiff, fold in cornflour and baking powder. Pile meringue onto a cold oven tray with baking paper on it, carefully mould to a nice round shape fairly thick, place into pre heated oven and bake 1 hour at 130c. Turn oven off and leave overnight with door shut to cool. Turn upside down onto a serving plate cream and decorate. Good to make ahead for freezing un creamed.

Edited by fifie at 8:00 pm, Thu 7 Feb

Quotefifie (220 ) 7:56 pm, Thu 7 Feb #4

janeyp, Nov 19, 5:11pm
Does anyone have a recipe for a pavlova like u get in the supermarket as in all soft

lynja, Nov 19, 5:54pm
pickles7, I have never heard of making a pav with icing sugar, but guess it is really only extremely finely ground sugar. Is it marshmallow in the middle?

uli, Nov 19, 9:37pm
bump for another Xmas

freedreamz, Nov 19, 10:00pm
if your pav fails / cracks / sinks, break it up, place on a flat platter, decorate with whipped cream, fresh berries, passionfruit etc, drizzle chocolate sauce over, and you then have eton mess (sp), perfect pav worries no more.

trigal1, Nov 19, 11:52pm
dat be the shaky isles!

trigal1, Nov 19, 11:53pm
Definitely got to be NOT fresh eggs. I make sure I have had mine about Seven or eight days .

kclu, Nov 20, 6:23am
Have you tried the Edmonds mix that comes in an egg shaped container and is sold at New World supermarkets? Super easy and comes out like homemade every time. Ask if you can't find it as I am not sure what isle it is in. I presume it is still available but haven't bought one for awhile.

glenys21, Dec 24, 4:42pm
Not having much luck.

pickles7, Dec 24, 7:09pm
pavlova. large

Beat until thick and smooth . approx 15 mins
6 egg whites,
3 Cups Icing Sugar,
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
add 2 Tablespoons Boiling water just as you start the beating,
Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray
Cook for 5 minutes at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further
1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C.
(Leave in oven to cool)

egg yolk custard

put into a bowl
6 egg yolks, 1/3 cup of cornflour, whisk in 1 cup of milk.
set aside.
Put in a saucepan
1 & 1/4 cups of whole milk, 2 tsp vanilla
sprinkle over the milk 2/3 cup of sugar
Do not stir, put on stove and watch for it to simmer.
Add a little hot milk into the cold, while whisking, maybe half, then pour it back into the saucepan, return to the heat. I turned my element down by 1/4.
stir with a wooden spoon until it is nice and thick.
This custard sets real fast, as soon as I noticed it thickening I removed it from the stove, kept whisking while it finished cooking.
I have covered it with cling film to stop it skinning over

circularboy, Dec 24, 7:57pm
Got a beauty little one cooking in my oven right now. Recipe could be easily doubled i required.

2 egg whites
1& 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp malt vinegar
2 T Cornflour
2 T Boiling Water

Beat all together until thick - about 10 minutes in a Kenwood mixer. Pile onto baking paper and place in oven at 200C and immediately turn oven down to 100C. (I do use the fan bake feature on the oven). Cook for 1 hour and then turn oven off and leave pav to cool in oven.

kaddiew, Dec 24, 9:14pm
Yes you can. I've just made two 6-egg pavs with a little, old electric beater. Have never owned a mixer on a stand.

kateley, Dec 24, 9:16pm
I only have a hand held electric beater and always make a Christmas Pav for the whole family. I remember once my sister made one using a fork when she was flatting and didn't even have a whisk - that was a marathon!

r_woodie, Dec 24, 11:02pm
One tip I was told to do was once the pav is cooked, leave the pav in the oven overnight.

glenys21, Dec 24, 11:49pm
Thank you so much for the great recipes and also pickles7 egg yolk Custard, never know what to do with the yolks. Many thanks. Merry Xmas to you all :)

fifie, Dec 25, 3:15am
Agree, made 8 egg pavs and meringues this week with a little old electric hand beater of my mums that is years old , they come out fine. Merry Xmas.

bev00, Dec 25, 10:20am
My recipe is 2 egg whites, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 teaspoon cornflour, 2 teaspoon vingear, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, 4 tablespoons boiling water, put all together in bowl, beat for 15 minutes, bake 170c for 10 minutes, lower to 130-140c for 45 minutes, cool in oven. I doubled the recipe today and it turned out beautiful, one pav big enough to feed all our guests.

Quotelodgelocum (25 ) 7:19 pm, Sun 23 Dec #4

bev00, Dec 25, 10:22am
recipes. #1 has a harder centre, #2 more the marshmallow type. Used both in my catering days and both were very successful. The secret of a great pav is in the beating, and leave it to completely cool in the oven for your crisp outer. good luck.
Pavlova # 1
3 egg whites
8oz caster sugar
Pinch salt
1 tsp vinegar
Beat egg whites with salt until quite stiff.
Beat in sugar very gradually
Add vanilla and vinegar, and beat again until mixed in.
Place the mixture in a 20cm circle on greased paper on a greased oven tray, and bake slowly 100—110 deg C. for about 1-1/2 hrs.
Leave the pavlova to cool in the oven until completely cold. *This makes the outside crunchier.*
****This recipe has a firmer centre.**
Serve topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit.
*or
Pavlova # 2
3 egg whites
3 TBSPS cold water
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tsps cornflour
Beat egg whites until stiff.
Add water and beat again.
Add sugar very gradually whilst still beating.
Slow beater and add vinegar, vanilla, and corn flour.
Line an oven tray with baking paper.
Spread the pavlova mixture evenly in a 20cm circle evenly over the paper.
Bake at 110 deg C for 45 mins. Then leave to
completely cool in the oven.
This pavlova has a softer centre. ***
kinna54 (168)

Quotelindylambchops1 (37 ) 4:54 pm, Fri 15 Feb #5

seniorbones, Dec 26, 8:52am
My sons girlfriend made our pav for today, never made one before and its was beautiful! not overly supersweet and she doesnt like cream so she put all the berries on then drizzled over berry couli - then people who wanted cream added their own, great idea. She said it was from annabel langbeins best recipes book. Ive looked at this book often in the shops and think I will see if its in the sales tomorrow.

bev00, Dec 26, 12:52pm
For hassle free pav. cover baking tray with tin foil, then place a spring form cake pan with it's bottom off just using the ring sitting on the tin foil. Now spray with kitchen spray oil give it a good coat then. wet your hand with cold water just tap water is fine. and flick it into your ring and base only needs a few drops around it not flaoting in water :) just a wet hand is enough. then fill with pav mix ready to be cooked. cook as normal leave in/on tray and don't remove ring until it's cold. sometimes a wee knife to go around the edge might be needed but I find not often. hope this helps.

Quoteanne1955 (1115 ) 11:12 am, Mon 24 Dec #5
Ooh ~ great tip ~ I will do that anne1955 ~ thank you.

Quotekiwitel (551 ) 11:17 am, Mon 24 Dec #6
Here's my Pav recipie and if you follow it and do my idea with the cake ring. I have never had a failure.
4 egg white roon temp not fresh today eggs if you have free range
1 & 1/4 cups castor sugar, 1tsp vinegar, 1tsp vanilla, 1tbsp (yes tbsp) cornflour.
Preheat oven to 180c. Put egg whites into bowl. make sure it's greasefree nice and clean! Start beating until whites just start to get frothey and gradually add sugar beating all the time. then time the beating beat further 10mins on high should be real thick with stiff peaks. Mix cornflour vinegar and vanilla together yes can be hard to do really stuf to sart with but does come right. make a smooth paste Slowy pour into white while beating even if it feel hard to come out. it will. Beat on high speed again for further 4 mins. Place into/onto baking tray. pref the way I have said above but works without ring. Reduce oven heat to 100c Place pav in oven bake for 1 hour then turn off oven and leave till cold. kill anyone opening door of oven to look serve them slow roasted. in fact ban all from kitchen, mostly they are just a pain when cooking and let them return when pav is cold and dishes need to be done.
And if the young men in the house say be there soon in the lou. fill sink with cold water and go away for a few mins then return and pull plug on sink they will think you have done them. but us woman aren't silly :)

Quoteanne1955 (1115 ) 11:27 am, Mon 24 Dec #7

bev00, Jun 14, 5:13pm
did this for xmas came out perfectly white crisp and marshmallow in the middle and all you do is beat everything, I did it in my kenwood mixer with the whisk, omg perfect, for all you guys who worry about pavs give this a go its no fail

6 egg whites
1 3/4 cups caster sugar
1 teaspoon malt vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 tablespoon boiling water

Yield: 8
Method
Preheat oven to 100 C. Place all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 15 minutes until smooth, glossy and when you rub a little mixture between your thumb and index finger you cannot feel grains of sugar. Draw a 24 cm circle on a sheet of baking paper - easiest to draw round the edge of a cake pan. Place the baking paper on an oven tray and pile the mixture into the circle, smoothing edges. Bake for 1 1/2 hours and then turn off the oven and allow to sit in the oven with the door closed for at least another hour or until the oven is cold.

Quotesunnyflower (687 ) 12:33 pm, Thu 27 Dec #1