Your favorite salad?

Page 1 / 2
katje, Jan 30, 4:46am
just rebumping because I found some good ideas for using the greens in the garden this weekend in here

carlosjackal, Jan 30, 5:21am
I chop and change but this summer, this one seems to be the one I'm making the most often:

Warm German Style Potato Salad (also delicious served cold!)

First add sliced garlic, mint and salt to pot of cold water. Add roughly chopped potatoes and gently bring to the boil - water needs to be salty (like when cooking pasta) as soon as water starts to boil, turn off heat and keep lid on pot.

While potatoes are cooking, fry a few shoulder rashers of manuka smoked bacon. Set aside.

Add to the pan a knob of butter and a drop of oil and sauté sliced red onion until caramelised. Add a small amount of brown or raw sugar and a small amount of Balsamic vinegar.

Finely chop a couple of gherkins, mint, and parsley. Also chop the cooked bacon.

Make up a vinaigrette - 50% oil / 50% vinegar (malt vinegar is fine). Add a squirt of mustard (Dijon or regular), salt and a little crushed garlic.

Check for doneness of potatoes, drain and return to pot. Add some caraway seeds, chopped gherkins, mint, parsley and bacon, caramelised onion, salt and ground pepper - stir to combine.

Then pour over the vinaigrette.

*** The trick is to work quickly so that the potatoes absorb all the flavours while the potatoes are still hot/warm ***

Drizzle a small amount of Paul Newman's Ranch Dressing over salad and stir through.

Leave covered (but not refrigerated) until ready to serve so that all the flavours meld.

bev00, Jan 30, 9:58am
thanks for posting - its def a must try. Are turtle beans just black beans?

clareo, Jan 30, 10:25am
One we make a bit is chopped celery with mandarin segments and a vinaigrette dressing. So simple and so refreshing.

frances1266, Jan 30, 9:22pm
Watermelon, cucumber, lots of mint, chpd and sprinkled with lime juice.

katje, Apr 4, 7:00am
Mine is Salad Nicoise, Cobb Salad, Chef's Salad and Satay chicken salad

katje, Apr 4, 7:08am
For salad enthusiassts this is an interesting list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_salads

speights40, Apr 4, 7:12am
This is lovely

Penne Pasta, drenched with olive oil when cooked & tossed with chopped vine toms & spring onions & a couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar to add taste S & P & goes with so much on the side.

wheelz, Apr 4, 7:15am
Fennel, Apple, Pecorino and Red Onion Salad with Citrus Dressing. So fresh crunchy and soooo tasty. Excellent with pork, especially good with roast pork, to cut the richness.

katje, Apr 4, 7:16am
mmmmmmm

angel404, Apr 4, 7:19am
Recipes for the 1st 3? Please :)

paulgl, Apr 4, 7:29am
I think this thread might turn into a recipe thread.

lindylambchops1, Apr 4, 8:06am
Oh I hope so!

katje, Apr 4, 8:39am

sarahb5, Apr 4, 8:56am
A chef's salad is basically whatever the chef can find in his fridge isn't it? A bit of this, a bit of that . Salad nicoise is tuna salad - lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, black olives, hard boiled eggs, tuna and anchovies. My favourite is either my own mediterranean pasta salad or my curried chicken salad although I also like the brown rice and cranberry salad I found on the WW website.

uli, Apr 4, 9:05am
My favourite salad is anything green from the garden mixed with lots of herbs, garlic, olive oil, cider vinegar and salt and pepper.

ruby19, Apr 4, 9:20am
Spinach orzo feta & pine nuts,
1 (16 ounce) package uncooked orzo pasta
~3/4 of a (10 ounce) package baby spinach leaves, finely chopped
6 oz crumbled feta cheese
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup pine nuts
2-3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil (or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil)
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
~1/4 cup olive oil (more if it's too dry)
~1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

directions:
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spinach, feta, onion, pine nuts, basil and white pepper. Toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Refrigerate and serve cold.

lindylambchops1, Apr 4, 10:36am
is that WW the Weight Watcher's or Women's Weekly website?

nik12, Apr 4, 11:19am
My fav is still lettuce (often iceberg), spring onions, cucumber, tomato. radish if I can find or have grown. capsicum if not too dear. a bit of red onion if I know others will cope. and boiled egg if I've got enough.

paulgl, Apr 4, 1:47pm
fresh lettuce leaves, tomatoes, grated carrots, red onions, cheese wedges, boiled egg slices, cucumber and salad dressing. yum

aktow, Apr 4, 4:23pm
three,, first pasta ,tom, sliced mushrooms, spring onions, sliced red onions, chopped parsley and tin of pink salmon bound with lots of american style mayonnaise

the second salad ,, i make a coleslaw and i add sliced beetroot and lots of Surimi bound with lots of mayonnaise,, sometimes i add shrimps

the third salad,, paw paw, walnuts and cooked sliced chicken and spring onions bound with a seafood sauce,

rainrain1, Apr 4, 8:11pm
Interesting. will have to try that one as it has my taste buds hopping
edited to say
I had a nice salad last night, cold roast pumpkin pieces, chopped walnut, blue vein cheese. not sure if it had a dressing on it or not, I don't think it did, just seasonings

katje, Apr 5, 2:45am
Traditionally that was the story behind the chefs salad and the cobb salad but they have specific ingredients. A chef salad is a salad of
1.hard-boiled eggs;
2. one or more meats such as ham, turkey, chicken,anchovies roast beef;
3. tomatoes;
4.cucumbers;
5.cheese
alll placed ontop of lettuce

dreamers, Apr 5, 3:11am
Roasted Sweetie Kumara Salad with bacon and walnuts.

This is mine for last summer
http://www.foodmag.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1501

sarahb5, Apr 5, 6:29am
Weight Watchers - don't be fooled though - it's delicious.