Delicious Xmas Inspired Slice/Confectionary

nzpcltd, Dec 12, 3:47am
This is so delectable if anyone is looking for a yummy Xmas treat to make. thought I would share
100g Salada Crackers
225g butter
3/4 c brown sugar
200g choc roughly chopped
1/2 c pistachios
1/2 c cranberries
Line a baking tray with paper and place crackers on tray
Melt butter and sugar over medium heat stirring until bubbling and combined. Remove and pour evenly over crackers. Place in oven for 8-10 mins until bubbling and caramel darkens.
Sprinkle choc over evenly, return to oven until choc melts and sprinkle over nuts and cranberries. cut into rough pieces when cooled,
Other variations include using toasted slivered almonds and broken up candy canes to make it extra Xmas-sy!

samanya, Dec 12, 4:19am
Sounds a 'sinfully delicious' treat & simple, too.
What temp do you have the oven at?

nzpcltd, Dec 12, 4:31am
I had to guess. I set it to about 180. the recipe is very forgiving. I used choc melts and although they weren't 100% perfect and didnt all completely melt as I imagined they would in my minds eye you can cover the imperfections with nuts and cranberries

samanya, Dec 12, 4:45am
Thanks . I might give it a go. Do you think I could use less sugar?

huca1, Dec 12, 5:41am
I read somewhere that pretty much every baking type recipe can be made with 1/3 less sugar with no/little difference in taste. Why not give it a try?

Only trouble I have is that I can't completely remember which of my recipes I have already reduced by 1/3 so I am slowly taking everything down a bit more.

I just can't bring myself to meddle with the classic Victoria sponge just yet though!

nzpcltd, Dec 12, 5:46am
I joked about buying the lite crackers to make this but there is so much "badness" there already there is probably little point fighting it. just tell yourself you will just have a little taste. .mmm hmm :)

samanya, Dec 12, 6:02am
ha ha . just a little taste, huh? Easier said than done, I find.

nauru, Dec 12, 8:30am
I now reduce the sugar in my baking too with no difference to the end product. It works in cakes and I have made Victoria sponge cakes with good results and reduced sugar so give it a go.

nunesy, Dec 13, 5:53am
I tried making this and it was a disaster. Stuck to the baking paper, and also the caramel went straight through the saladas so it was on the bottom. didn't want to waste it so spent HOURS peeling bits of paper off but couldn't give it as a gift as bits of paper were still stuck to it. :( A colleague made it but she left shortly after and I have no idea what I did wrong - the toffee was thick so didn't expect it to run through.

nzpcltd, Dec 13, 10:46am
The toffee does certainly spread. it didnt just sit on top of the saladas when I made it but the toffee went crunchy and crispy, with the layer of chocolate and nuts etc on top. what a shame for you

marcs, Dec 13, 12:04pm

fifie, Apr 18, 6:51pm
Going to try this chocolate salami.
http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/chocolate-salami.html