Stir fry vegys and meat

korbo, Jul 9, 6:07am
Tonight i chopped up.
onion, red cabbage, white cabbage, courgette, carrot, silverbeet, cauli,
celery for a stir fry.Used a little oil and then put a lid ontop of frypan.Vegys semi-steamed. Quickly fried in a little oil, some very thin slice beef.
I used some stirfry sauce,overtop of the vegys.
The flavour was nice, but we felt it was a little bland.
Please, what sauces do you use for stirfrys like this.
It has all gone, but lacked that shop taste.

jbsouthland, Jul 9, 6:26am
Grate fresh ginger ( can be kept frozen and grated as needed) , soya sauce , honey, also I like the satchets of stock . One is all you need . they come 8 in a box .

nilaveli, Jul 9, 7:01am
Coconut aminos https://www.coconutsecret.com/aminos2.html or one of the ranges of sauces at the supermarket with the least amount of sugar that I can find is this range http://www.asianhomegourmet.com/our-range/spice-pastes/ I really like the laksa one I add some coconut milk as well.

nauru, Jul 9, 10:06am
Grated ginger is a good addition along with minced garlic to any sauce and a little hoisin sauce added to stir fries is very nice. I also add a few drops of sesame oil & stir in just before serving. I don't use premixed sauces as I prefer to make them from scratch. I tend to use my AWW chinese book a lot, some great sauce recipes in there.

mjhdeal, Jul 9, 4:29pm
I always keep a big jar of this spice mix (recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-essence-recipe.html).

I add a few big tablespoons of this to stirfries, and it totally rocks.

lythande1, Jul 9, 6:46pm
Chilli sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce as well

2spotties, Jul 9, 7:03pm
I like to make this satay sauce
Put all in a saucepan and heat.
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup water (sometimes I will use coconut cream or milk if I have it on hand)

korbo, Jul 10, 1:02am
thanks for your info

buzzy110, Jul 10, 3:22am
Chinese style stir fried food always includes chicken stock and soy sauce at the end.

I have no idea why people do not use a good stock when stir frying vegetables but it seems to be a common mistake.

Stir fry your vege then add in your stock (not powder but a proper liquid stock), put the lid on and bring to the boil, thicken with cornflour made into a paste and then add in soy sauce to taste.

I sometimes don't use soy, especially if the stock is very tasty. Sometimes, if I have no stock I just use water and if that is the case and I am having my vegetables with fish I use lemon juice instead of soy sauce.

Note. sweet chilli sauce are almost 50% sugar. Use wisely. I have never had a Chinese style vegetable stirfry from a Chinese place that has ever used sweet chilli sauce. That sounds disgusting. Nice with satay though.

samanya, Jul 10, 4:38am
A Chinese friend always adds a dash of sesame oil at the end . makes a big difference.

buzzy110, Jul 10, 5:18am
Yum. Sesame oil is wonderful. Toasted sesame oil or untoasted?

nauru, Jul 10, 5:38am
I always stir fry with stock rather than oil nowadays, I use homemade stock and a good quality ceramic wok so no sticking and it keeps the fat content down, just our preference. And just before serving, I add a dash of sesame oil and stir through.

bev00, Jun 20, 10:04am
Ginger Dipping Sauce

Mix together:
1/4 cup sesame or cold pressed olive oil
2 tbs lemon or lime juice
2 tbs tamari/soy sauce
2 tbs grated ginger
1 grated garlic clove
3/4-1 tsp red pepper flakes (depending on how hot you like your food)

(The original recipe says to add a date to sweeten the sauce a little, but I don't think this is necessary.)

mjhdeal (873 873 positive feedback) 7:18 am, Sun 16 Nov #5
I mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, seasame oil, garlic, ginger, chilli and coriander finely chopped, and may be a little honey/sugar to taste. Sorry I don't measure anything!

ruby19 (25 25 positive feedback) 9:28 am, Sun 16 Nov #6