Looking for Creative ideas for corned beef please.

245sam, Jan 16, 9:06am
Continued from #5

"Corned Beef Melt
Ingredients Caramelised onions * 50g butter + 50ml oil * 1kg onions, thinly sliced * 1½ tsp crushed garlic * 4 tsp balsamic vinegar * Salt and pepper to taste Roasted garlic and mustard mayo * 80g mayonnaise * 20g roasted garlic * 20g wholegrain mustard * 8 soft flour tortillas, or Lebanese pita bread * 360g corned beef, shaved * 320g grated cheddar cheese posted by sam924

OUTDOORS STEW.
potatoes (the number req'd dependent on size & the number of people to be served), 1-2 onions, 1 or 2 x 440g can(s) baked beans, 1 x 340g can corned beef (trimmed of any fat and cut into chunky pieces). Peel the potatoes & cut them into even-sized chunky pieces. Put the potatoes on to cook in water to just cover them, then chop the onion(s) into chunky pieces & add them to the potatoes. Boil until the potatoes are just half cooked, then pour off most of the water. To the almost cooked potatoes & onions add the baked beans & the corned beef. Allow the mixture to bubble gently for 10 minutes, then serve – as is, with tomato sauce &/or grated cheese.
posted by 245sam

Red Flannel Hash
Equal quantities of diced corned beef, cooked potato, cooked beetroot (not pickled), thinly sliced onion, salt and pepper, lots of chopped parsley or marjoram. Fry in butter or oil over medium heat, turning occasionally, for about 30 min or until it is brown in patches. Add a good sprinkling of Worcestorshire sauce, more parsley on top. Extra good served with a poached or fried egg on top.
posted by davidt4

This always disappears fast (especailly with boys)
Thinly slice the corned beef and layer it in a suitably sized casserole dish, make mashed potatoes with lots of butter, you can also cook carrots with the potatoes and mash them together and sometimes I 3/4 cook cabbage and mix this through as well, add a good pinch of mustard and spread over the corned beef, top with grated cheese and bake,until the cheese in brown on top
posted by karenz

Easy as and yum too
My mum taught me to use the leftovers with this simple idea: mince in the food processor, make a white sauce with 1t curry powder and put the minced corned beef in, yummo! Nice for breakfast on toast.
posted by strawwarehouse" :-))

karlymouse, Jan 16, 9:54am
I haven't cooked it yet. there is the traditional way cooked with bay leaves, a little honey and peppercorns and the tradtional mustard sauce.

Are there any other ways anyone has discovered. plus any nice left over recipes. thanks

245sam, Jan 16, 10:49am
From the former Trade Me Cooks.

"Corned beef in the crockpot
1.5kg corned beef, 1.5 litre bottle dry ginger ale (heated in microwave or saucepan), 1 tablespoon ground ginger, 1 tablespoon honey, hot water. Pre-heat cooker for 20 minutes. Rinse the meat in cold water and pat dry. Place meat, ginger ale, ground ginger, honey and enough hot water to barely cover the meat. Cover with lid and cook in the Crockpot for 8-10 hours on low, 4-5 hours on high, slow cooker 7-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high This recipe stays moist for up to 3 days! It's really yummy! Enjoy! posted by sherralynne

I definitely cook my corned silverside with golden syrup, a peeled halved onion, some dried bay leaves, some whole cloves and some whole star anise. it is amazingly delisimo.
posted by 2hard

Yes - I cook silverside in the crockpot with
(a) whole clove-studded halved onion(s) and ginger ale OR
(b) chopped onion(s), brown sugar, black peppercorns, bay leaves, water - no vinegar with either option. Hope that helps - enjoy your silverside. posted by 245sam

My husband says . that the corned beef I cook in the crockpot is the best he has ever tasted! Must admit it is very tender. Melts in the mouth! Preheat crockpot for 20mins before adding anything. While you are waiting rinse the meat in cold water and pat dry. Place the meat in the cooker with 3 Tbsp wine vinegar and 3Tbsp sugar and enough hot water to barely cover the meat. Cover with lid and cook on Low about 7 - 8 hours. Enjoy! Cook veges separately, not in the cooker with the meat.
posted by bayview1

Corn Beef
My crockpot corn beef recipe is place the carrots cut up in the bottom of the bowl then place corn beef on top add 2 bay leaves, 1 Tbsp vinegar, 1 Tbsp golden syrup 1 sliced onion add 1 and a half cups of boiling water. I leave on high for the morning then in my lunch break switch over to low posted by ziggy16

Corned Beef with Ginger Ale
1.5kg corned beef, brisket or pickled pork, 1 x 1.5 litre bottle dry gingerale - heated, 1T ground ginger, 1T honey, hot water. Preheat cooker for 20 minutes. Rinse meat in cold water and pat dry. Place meat in cooker and add gingerale, ground ginger, honey and enough hot water to barely cover meat. Cover with lid and cook in crockpot on low 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. In a slow cooker cook on low 7-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. Yummy! posted by sherralynne

Silverside
rinse it first make sure you rinse it under cold water to get all of the gooo of it and then pop it into a crock pot and cover with boiling water. cook for the day then pre heat your oven on bake drain the corn beef pop it into a oven dish mix approx 4tbsp of each brown sugar and grain mustard ( not powdered mustard) into a paste and put a thick layer on the top and then roast for 20-30 mins. hope you like it posted by maxibear

Corned Beef Hash - 7 Points w/w recipe
3 cups corned beef brisket – cooked 2 small onions – chopped 3 potatoes – chopped 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 1 cup lowfat beef broth Run first three ingredients through food grinder (food processor?). Mix well with all the remaining ingredients. Press into well greased pot. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
posted by ams7

I am trying this recipe today
put corn beef in crockpot add 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 3 fresh mint sprigs, 1 medium onion peeled and studed with 4 cloves, 2 medium carrots peeled andcut into chunks, 8 peppercorns water to cover. Cook on high 6-7 hours or low 10-12 hours
and then to serve balsamic plum glaze
3/4 cup beef stock, 1/4 cup plum jam, 1 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 3 teaspoon sugar. to make: place stock, jam vinegar and sugar into non stick pan cook over a menium heat until mixture has reduced to syrup consistency
posted by bunny51" :-))

245sam, Jan 16, 10:50am
continued from #2

"CORNED SILVERSIDE: 1.5kg corned silverside, 1/2 onion cut into wedges (or use a onion flake sprinkle), 5 whole black peppercorns, 1 tsp minced garlic (or masterfoods garlic granules sprinkles), 2 bay leaves, 2 Tsp brown sugar (or 4 cloves), Pour in hot water (enough to cover 3/4 of meat), can add carrots (optional). Crockpost on low for 8 hours
posted by everypost"

Hope that helps with the cooking of the corned beef. :-))

245sam, Jan 16, 10:54am
Also from the former Trade Me Cooks - "Leftover Corned Beef Recipes".

"Left Over Corned Beef
Ground up corned beef makes a really tasty shepherds pie! Never enough left over here for us to do it though!
posted by mamabiff

I always put my old left over corned beef/brisket into a blender with mustard sauce and make a sandwich spread out of it.
posted by kermitnz1

mmmm
rissoles with mustard-cheesey sauce
posted by dacaveman

I put mine into
blender to break it down then add it to creamy mashed potatoes in shallow dish and top with cheese, bake then grill and serve mmm
posted by purplegoanna

I break my leftover up
and I boil potatoes mash them as u do then add the corn beef sum cheese onion and tomato put in a dish sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs and bake
posted by misstrouble1

Mr CharlieB (the pom) misses corned beef hash from home, so the other night, in my own way, tried to make something up that was similar. He raved about it. Corned beef chopped into cubes. fry chopped onion. add beef cubes. I then took that out and added some cubed up cooked potato. cooked till golden. added meat back in and chucked in a tin of baked beans! He loved it and can't wait for me to make it again. go figure!
posted by charlieb2

This is the best
Cut thick slices with a slice through middle so you can make a sandwhich (like when you only cut a breadroll a wee way though). In the middle put cheese (mozzeralla is best but any will be nice, and some relish or mustard) close with a toothpick then dip in egg and breadcrumbs. Shallow fry - I love it and intentionally buy extra corned beef so we can have this. posted by helen59

Corned Beef hash.
Dice corned beef. fry chopped onion, diced celery, cooked carrot diced, cooked potatoes diced, whatever other veges you like.S&P. Add corned beef and a little mustard sauce or gravy, bake in oven 30 min.
posted by dreamer371

"The Dish"
Chop up the silverside, onions cooked to golden, hard boiled eggs, and any other vegies you might have left over. Make a cheese sauce, up to two cups depending on the amount of solids you have to put in. Put the chopped ingredients into a casserole dish. pour the cheese sauce over it, add grated cheese on top and bake, 30 minutes in moderate oven.
Bon appetit. posted by pussytux

Corn beef hash
Ingredients: 1-1/2 cups finely ground corned beef 3 cups finely chopped potatoes, pre-boiled and cooled 1 small onion, minced 1/3 cup beef stock salt and pepper to taste In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together. Make 6 patties and place them in a large, well-oiled skillet. Add a little butter and cook until the bottoms are crisp and brown. Lower the heat to medium and flip the patties. Cook slowly until crisp and brown on both sides. Serve hot, topped with a poached egg. Variation: Substitute roast beef for corned beef.

Cornbeef Patties
INGREDIENTS 1kg potatoes, peeled, chopped coarsely 400g left-over corned beef, shredded 2 tbl finely chopped parsley 1 tbl chopped chives 4 green onions, chopped finely 1 tbl wholegrain mustard (optional) Salt & black pepper 2 tbl Dijon mustard 1/3 cup mayonnaise 1 lemon, cut into wedges METHOD Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Cook potatoes in large pan of boiling salted water until tender; drain and mash thoroughly. Combine in large bowl with beef, parsley, chives, onions, mustard and salt & pepper. Shape potato mixture into 12 patties. Place on baking paper lined baking trays and bake in preheated oven 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately with combined mustard and mayonnaise and lemon wedges.
both posted by firecentaurr" :-))

245sam, Jan 16, 10:55am
continued from #4

"mine is corn beef pie
cook and mash veg potato carrot parsnip pumpkin etc snall onion chopped fine 2 cups white sauce grated cheese layer meat veg and sauce in greased proof dish finish with sauce sprinkle with cheese bake 20 to 30 mins

another 1 is corn beef puffs
1cup cold mashed potato 1cup flour 1 tsp bp 1 small onion 1 cup minced beef mix beef onion s& p now mix the potato into flour BP to form a dough roll out half inch thick cut into 5in rounds place meat mixture in middle pinch edges together then fry in deep oil until golden brown
above 2 posted by harrislucinda

Margaret Hilton's recipe for Posh Corned Beef Hash.
Cut up 2 onions and fry with butter and garlic. Take a tin of corned beef chop it up and mix in tomato ketchup, Soy sauce and a tbl of brown sugar. Put all ingredients on a ovenproof dish, then add some cooked and halved new potatoes on top, finish off with grated cheddar cheese cook in the oven 200C
posted by kiwitrish

Left Over Corned Beef
I make this with left over corned beef rather than tinned - but can be made with both. Mince the left over meat, adding plenty of garlic,put itno casserole dish mix together 2 Tbsp tomato sauce, cup cold black tea Pout this over the meat and stir through. Cover with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with cheese Heat in oven and at end of cooking grill cheese. So simple yet tastes devine.
Enjoy posted by nallim

Silverside salad
In Switzerland we make a salad out of cold silverside. Sorry if my English is not up to scratch: Cut the silverside in small pieces, if you wish you can add cheese cut into small sticks, add 2 gherkins cut into slices and two tomatoes cut into small cubes. Chopp an onion and add.---- Sauce: 2 teaspoons mustard, pepper to taste, herbsalt to taste, 3 tablespoons vinegar, 4 tablespoons oil, mix and pour over the meat and leave to stand for half an hour or so. As decoration sprinkle with chopped boiled egg if desired.
posted by ivyplus

This is yummy
1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 Tbsp oil, 2 potatoes cooked and cubed, 1 cup chopped cooked silverbeet, 1 can Hellaby's Corned Beef flaked, 3 eggs, 1 cup trim milk, 1/2 cup SR flour, freshly ground pepper. Peel & chop the onion & garlic. Saute in the oil. Add to the potato, silverbeet & corned beef in a large bowl. Beat the eggs, milk & flour and add to the rest. Use an ovenproof dish approx 20 cm square. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 400deg. Lovely hot, warm or cold.
posted by lulu239" :-))