Cauliflower soup

kiwiscrapper1, Oct 24, 9:00am
Just made a new recipe for cauliflower soup, used 2 caullis had cream, creme fresh, and parmesan cheese in it. AWFUL! Very rich just tastes like a rich cheesy sauce, quite sickening really, cost a fortune and was to have with guests tomorrow night, now I have to thik of something else to make!

awoftam, Oct 24, 9:04am
It tastes what it sounds like - Can you use some chicken stock to thin and give it more depth of flavor? Others on here will be able to help you better than I, it will be a great starter I am sure.

kiwiscrapper1, Oct 24, 9:18am
It also has chicken stock, I think the cheese and cream and creme fresh is not a good mix, just too rich. Im on to round two

awoftam, Oct 24, 9:25am
It will be salvagable! Others will come in tomorrow morning and help I am sure. may help if you post the recipe, so peeps know whats in it, as the science behind the taste is important.

socram, Oct 24, 9:40am
Halve it and cook up another veg and blend it in?

Or, what else goes with cauliflower (cheese)? Bacon? Ham hock? Onion?
Prawns? Smoked fish? Mushrooms?

Maybe some would suggest spices/herbs? Cumin? Coriander?

As #4 says, someone will come in with a bright idea, but I wouldn't bin it!

l4holdings, Oct 24, 6:38pm
Thats a shame, I love curry cauliflower soup. Sauté some onion, garlic, carrot, celery till soft. Add cauli and some curry powder fry for a bit to cook spices and then add some chicken stock. Cook until cauli is tender and then blitz and add a splash of cream to taste.

uli, Oct 25, 2:45am
While i would probably love it - many people cannot stand too much fat nowadays as they were brought up and low fat diets.

So I would suggest that you freeze half of it and "thin" the rest down with other veges like onions, leeks and celery.

For the future: If you check out a new recipe make a small amount first - using 2 caulis on a new recipe is a bit risky.

Hope you can salvage your soup.

motorbo, Oct 25, 3:31am
i think you will find the younger generation are often into organic, paleo, real food, fat, and raw. not low fat

uli, Oct 25, 5:10am
Motorbo - I have no idea how old OP is - and so I have also no idea how she was brought up and why she dislikes that soup - it didn't sound terrible to me and I would have most likely eaten it and be happy.

However sentences like ". Very rich just tastes like a rich cheesy sauce, quite sickening really, . " is usually a person that has not eaten fatty things regularly - some people on here cannot even "stomach" cream or full fat milk.

However i might be wrong and I am sure OP will be back and tell us what she has done with that soup that "cost a fortune" :)

daarhn, Aug 14, 3:07am
Use the 'sauce' as bechamel for a mince or veggie lasagna.

If your guests are not eating meat then roast the caulis instead as a main. You can drizzle some of the 'sauce' mixed with a spice or curry for added flavour.

Cauli & watercress soup is nice and my go to when I feel like something fresh and easy to whip up. This is Martha Stewarts version. Mine is in my head. I substitute the chicken stock for veggie stock instead.

http://www.marthastewart.com/336017/watercress-cauliflower-soup