Sponge cake tips

kungfu3, Dec 1, 8:46am
Hi, I plan on making my first spong cake this week. I plan on rolling the spong and putting cream in the middle. Before I start I would like as much advice as possible. I would like to know how to get a really nice and light spong; do I seperate the eggs and beat seperate? Cheers

harrislucinda, Dec 1, 9:04am
yes beat the whites then add the yolks Then ad sugar beat then carefully fold in flour When cooked lay out on tea towel always add jam or cream first then get the 2 corners of the tea towel and then roll up leave to cool like that

sarahb5, Dec 2, 7:20am
Put a sheet of greaseproof (sprinkled with caster sugar unlees you're putting frosting on it) on top of the tea towel - means you can roll a bit tighter and leave it rolled

vashti, Dec 2, 8:26am
Mum always rolled the sponges up with a clean damp tea towel.
I do the same with my Pavlova log.

deus701, Dec 2, 10:09am
I beat my eggs n sugar on high speed in the mixer till nice n thick n pale in colour. Turn the mixer to lowest speed n slowly tip in all the flour. It helps when the eggs are at room temperature

kungfu3, Dec 3, 9:51am
Well today I made my first Yule log (I'm practising for Christmas). It turned out ok, the only thing was wasn't happy with was the spong cracked in two places when I unrolled it to fill with cream. I was thinking did I over cook the spong or did I not beat the eggs enough? Any advice much appreciated

ace441, Dec 3, 10:07am
The possible reasons for cracking sponge cake are…
* baked too long or too hot –> lower baking time and/or temperature just a little bit
* batter is not foamy enough –> beat the eggs more to get a fluffy and elastic(!) sponge cake
If done right, the sponge cake will be so fluffy, that it’s almost impossible to crack.

sampa, Dec 3, 11:17pm
My MIL used to have a trick with sponges, I have this feeling it involved dropping them on the floor as soon as they came out of the oven. Can anyone shed any light on that? Does it work?

terraalba, Dec 4, 8:47am
I find it best to roll the cooked sponge and then unroll it flat before putting the filling on it when it is flat. Then when I roll it up again it is easier to roll up again and secure the cake neater and more stable. I place it on a clean cloth before rolling it.

jhan, Dec 4, 11:44pm
My sponge cake recipe (inherited from my MIL) calls for cornflour. There are two types of cornflour on the market, one will work in the recipe and one won't. One has gluten the other in gluten free. The gluten free one won't work. That's what I was told.

kungfu3, Dec 6, 8:58pm
Thanks for all the advice. Maybe I should've called the title "yule log" because that's what I actually made. I used Nigellas recipe and her recipe uses no flour. My log was light and fluffy and I was happy with the texture so maybe I slighy over cooked it. I would like to know if anyone has used this recipe before and your thoughts?
http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/yule-log

propagator, Dec 7, 12:59am
I always cut off a couple of cms on the long side before rolling. helps to prevent cracking as these edges are usually a bit on the crisp side.
Mrs P

bev00, Dec 7, 11:00am
great tips

punkinthefirst, Dec 8, 5:13am
If you are going to ice the log, don't worry about the crack. You're the only person who will know, once it's iced!

mousiemousie, May 3, 1:19am
I think she would have dropped it before going in the oven. It is to get out any trapped air bubbles which can cause holes in the sponge once cooked.