Best ever fish cakes please? I have fresh kawhai

aj.2., May 18, 5:39am
Well , fresh Kowhai, I would do a beer batter, then put them into hot oil, let them come up to surface, take out, let them cool a bit, then place them back into the hot oil, again let them cook till they come to surface then eat.
They taste so great nice and fresh .
Fish cakes are better with cooked fish, so please don't waste it on them.

gojojo2, May 18, 5:54am
Have loads of fish (was a good morning for it) will be using them fresh fillets tonight (I prefer mine baked, hubby likes egg and breadcrumbed) but sons hanging out for cakes. I can't seem to get the fish/ spud ratio correct - they seem to fall apart even with egg. Just wondering if anyone had a never fail recipe

beaker59, May 19, 4:49am
Kahawai

Meaning strong (Kaha) in the water (wai).

Great for Thai style fish cakes and raw fish too.

rainrain1, May 19, 9:04am
Blue Cod Fishcakes with lemon mayonnaise
2 cups milk
1 kg blue cod (you could get away with less - it’s very expensive)
1 cup Japanese Panko crumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/4 cup chopped chives
2 tablespoons grated onion
2 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp salt
pepper
3 eggs lightly beaten
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup oil
Poach the fish in the milk until it flakes. Drain well. Heat the oil. Mix all the ingredients together. I used a lot more crumbs as the mixture was just too wet. Form into patties and coat in extra Panko crumbs and fry in the oil until brown on both sides - about 3-4 minutes per side.
Lemon Mayonnaise
Combine
1/2 cup good mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 teaspoons grainy mustard
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon pepper

gojojo2, May 19, 9:24am
Thank you all

gojojo2, May 21, 11:01am
Thanks rainrain1 your mayo was a hit Went for my basic fish cakes and they were hit. Poached my filets in milk, onions and parsley . flaked added to puréed potatoes, spring onions, lemon pepper seasoning and egg to combine. Then flour, egg, breadcrumb. fry until golden each side
Winner, winner all the time

rainrain1, Jul 20, 2:14am
Winner winner, chicken dinner