Whipped cream

retro_qazdog, May 18, 8:03pm
Why does cream when whipped until firm go sloppy and runny these days. It never used to?

rainrain1, May 18, 8:29pm
Keep it chilled and don't over whip it. I have no problems with it myself

kaddiew, May 18, 11:15pm
Agree with rainrain1. On the odd occasion I've whipped it too firm , it has separated later on. The cream I whipped 3 days ago is still holding just fine in the fridge. It was whipped until it was holding/not too soft, but not firm or stiff.

wheelz, May 18, 11:18pm
I know what you mean OP. after a couple of hours it begins to loosen up.
Maybe they are using less fat in the cream, or maybe at certain times of the year the fat content in the cream is lower.

Did some googling and found this:
http://bakerette.com/whipping-cream/

buzzy110, May 19, 1:37am
There is a fine line between over whipping and not whipping enough. When it is still quite 'sloppy' it allows the whey to separate out and imo, is not whipped enough. I whip cream till it is really stiff. It is hard to over-whip when using a manual rotary beater. You have the time to make a judgement on when it is perfectly whipped and when it isn't whipped enough.

No matter how perfectly cream is whipped, some whey will always separate out, even when all other factors are taken into account. But cream that is properly whipped separates out less. This is my experience anyway. I always whip cream when it needs to be used and not before just in case.

One more thing I have found is that the air also 'escapes' so the cream looks less 'fluffy' when left overnight or for several hours in the fridge.

I do like food to be the best it possibly can so that is another reason why I do not pre-whip hours in advance.

wasala, May 19, 5:48am
There's an awful lot of 'whipping' in this post. 11 uses of the word, in fact. Have you been reading '50 Shades of Grey' by chance?

pickles7, May 19, 9:43am
I always buy cream 3 or 4 days ahead of it being needed to whip.
Could be too much water being left in the cream. To see this problem pour the cream into a glass and leave in the fridge for 2 or 3 days.

retro_qazdog, Jul 23, 1:04am
Thank you wheelz for that info. I have been in the catering industry for many years and never had this problem until a couple of years ago.