Red rubber muffin trays(from briscoes)

Page 1 / 2
carol113, Aug 22, 2:24am
I have been given some of the above and wanted to know. are they non stick or do you have to spray them still.TIA Carol

biggles45, Aug 22, 2:32am
I don't spray any of my silicone bakeware, never had anything stick.

carol113, Aug 22, 2:40am
thanks so much biggles45

kaddiew, Aug 22, 4:22am
I binned mine and went back to metal muffin trays. The appearance, taste and texture of the muffins baked in silicone was just unappealing.

rainrain1, Aug 22, 5:27am
I hate them, wobbly silly things that they are

biggles45, Aug 22, 5:42am
I don't find them any different in appearance, taste or texture than when I use metal ones. Not sure what would cause that?

kaddiew, Aug 22, 6:12am
No idea, but they did! I've been baking for many decades, and it just wasn't the same in silicone.

suzannelg, Aug 22, 7:19am
The silicone trays go really sticky and gross too. Can't wait to bin mine and buy some better quality stuff.

biggles45, Aug 22, 7:24am
Yes, I think quality is the key. Some of mine are cheapies and had them a number of years, not sticky (yet?) but starting to look a bit grubby, getting time for new ones.

awoftam, Aug 22, 7:51am
I brought some about 2 years ago and resisted using them - now I wonder why. I used them for the first time a couple of months ago and love them. They do need a good scrubbing as stuff can stick but wouldn't be without them now. No difference to me as far as taste etc goes - I mean I still test to see if any muffins are cooked - but you would do that no matter what you were cooking in?

redpearl, Aug 22, 8:43am
Yes, they are very wobbly. I put them on an upside down cake rake so they are easy to take out of the oven!

biggles45, Aug 22, 9:04am
I just put them on an oven tray before I put the mixture in them then put the whole lot in the oven. I use the flat ones for biscuits too, and you would be hard pushed to move them without an oven tray under them.

akd100, Aug 22, 9:14am
I've gone back to the metal ones too, the silicone ones left a funny taste.

biggles45, Aug 22, 9:23am
I use them for all cakes and biscuits with no problems. I don't use the loaf one because being long and thin the sides sort of bulge so the loaf is a strange shape. I use round ones for fruit cakes, tray ones for biscuits/shortcake and the muffin ones.

schnauzer11, Aug 22, 9:35am
"do need a good scrubbing as stuff can stick"- then, what is the point of the wobbly things, which need a tray to support them anyway? I'd rather use metal muffin-trays. BTW-I suspect you 'bought' them.

kaddiew, Aug 22, 11:04am
Glad I'm not the only one who found that.

maynard9, Aug 22, 10:06pm
Hate hate hate the silicone - didn't matter what brand or quality.

You never get that nice crunchy outer.

All mine have gone to Hospice shop and while there I bought some lovely metal ones. Scrubbed up, oiled and perfect baking again

baalamb, Aug 22, 10:47pm
I found a handy alternative use for mine is in freezing single portions. I use a lot of quinoa in small amounts, so from time to time cook up a big batch, and freeze it in portions. Once frozen, because of the flexibilty of the silicone they are easy to pop out and free-flow. I also make individual apple crumbles in the Texas muffin sized ones and freeze the same way. savoury mince gets the same treatment, and thaws very fast being in smaller portions.

antzmaria1, Aug 25, 3:18am
baalamb - what a fabulous idea about freezing your food in them, I am going to do that in future. It would be so handy. I find I use my silicone to make filled bread cases or mini quiches - which can be frozen for lunches. Or if you want to make your own homemade soaps or bathbombs the silicone is great for them. I love reading these threads as it gives me so many ideas to try

awoftam, Aug 25, 6:49am
Use what works for you! That's wot eye doo.

And you suspek eggaskery roight. You sound like my Nana lol

leebee35, Aug 25, 8:24am
agree hate mine too. To crazy to work with. Burnt my hand first time ever with baking with them. Felt they did NOT brown up. so if you want mine I'll post them to you.

lenart, Aug 26, 12:47am
Cheap silicone made somewhere in China is different from quality brands made in France, America or Japan. I use Silpat (for pastry) and Silpain (for bread) mats, no smell and no problems with crunchy outer at all. Silpat got a little bit more sticky with use, but this is according to manufacturer to prevent sticking. Don't need oiling, easy to clean and I wouldn't do without them. Saved me a lot of good quality expensive parchment paper I used before. For muffins I didn't want to buy wholly silicone tray, I agree it is a bit wobbly, I wanted something more sturdy, like normal tins. I was researching a lot to find the best healthy non-stick tins and I was lucky to find the best tins. They were hand crafted in Japan, tin plated and coated with micron layer of silicone which is not sticky, it is like a varnish, doesn't require oiling and muffins bake evenly. Cost a small fortune but I have no regrets, I don't need to buy another one any time soon. I put some pictures here: http://1drv.ms/1NQAPal

fey, Aug 26, 3:11am
I don't like the muffin trays. But I love my silicon baking sheets (nothing EVER sticks) and my loaf one. Anything in the loaf one just comes right out first time.
I have never noticed any taste difference.

joybells2, Aug 27, 5:29am
I tried mine twice, hated them, more work than what they should be, if you have to put another tray underneath defeating the purpose, I also thought they didn't bake correctly either, binned them.

biggles45, Aug 27, 6:57am
Maybe I am odd, but I put everything on an oven tray, even casseroles. if that's wrong, what are the trays you get with an oven actually for?