Chia seeds

cloudberry, May 16, 10:00pm
I am standing here eyeing a packet of chia seeds wondering what to do with them. (I have to out myself as an Old Fart who learned to cook at my mother's knee in the Fifties). I am looking for quick and easy breakfast alternatives and someone suggested chia pudding. I have consulted Dr Google and been a bit put off by photos showing chia pudding looking uncomfortably like frogspawn: https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/383216809.jpg

Who makes this? Is it edible? Should I overcome my fear of slimy food and give it a go?

gilligee, May 16, 10:06pm
I add a teaspoon full to my home made muesli each morning.

lilyfield, May 16, 10:45pm
I put 2 tablespoon into my bread making.
Also some into porridge or other cereal.

Eat it by the spoon full( soaked)
Add to all kinds of salads

stompy, May 16, 11:24pm
The are lovely this way, put a tablespoon in a tin of coconut cream, mm simply devine, Soak overnight can add a few drops of natural vanilla essence and very healthy on both accounts

cloudberry, May 17, 12:55am
Stompy, thanks for this idea. I will do this and try some with fruit or berries.

bedazzledjewels, May 17, 1:55am
I await your experiences Cloudberry. I've yet to give them a whirl.

wildflower, May 17, 2:50am
I haven't bought any yet to try but you can use it to make jam apparently instead of sugar because they absorb 10 times their weight in liquid. I want to get some for my protein shakes.

nauru, May 17, 7:09am
I put them in my LSA mix, grind them up with the linseeds. Also added to my homemade muesli. Mixed with water to make a gel, kept in a jar in the fridge and then added to yoghurt and fruit or my porridge. I put them in my bread, scones and muffins too.

awoftam, May 17, 7:35am
Sugar is a preservative, so not sure how your jam will go for more than a few days?

sarahb5, May 17, 7:55am
I use them in my porridge - 2 tablespoons a day - or in yoghurt with fruit but I particularly like them made into banana pancakes.

http://www.food.com/recipe/2-ingredients-eggs-banana-pancakes-501408 They are a very good source of slow release energy - can add them to anything really
http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/chia-seed-pudding-recipes/

cloudberry, May 18, 12:45am
Ok, reporting back on my first chia experience. I left black chia seeds in coconut milk overnight, with a little vanilla and cinnamon. This morning I inspected it and yup, frogspawn. I lightened the texture with a little Greek yogurt and cream and topped it with blueberries and a sprinkle of coconut sugar. All in all an ok breakfast, healthy(ish) but by no means calorie light (which doesn't bother me.) A satisfactory experiment, I will do it again.

Edited to correct spelling error. Heaven forbid.

sarahb5, May 18, 12:47am
I'd have added muesli or oats instead of yoghurt or cream then you don't notice the texture of the chia seeds. Also I buy white seeds just because they look nicer - the texture is different but certainly not as bad as tapioca!

wildflower, May 18, 2:17am
Just checked recipe and it has equal amounts of chia seeds and honey so honey is your sugar anyway and it mentions to refrigerate.

scux, May 18, 2:20am
I soak oats, chia seeds and buckwheat in coconut water and a spoonful of protein powder, overnight. I make enough to last the whole week, cover and keep in the fridge. Each day I take a couple of spoonfuls of the mixture and add stewed fruit, blueberries and most importantly, chopped up half a banana as a substitute for milk or cream. Stir in sliced almonds and coconut thread. This breakfast is low gi and you won't be reaching for the muffin with morning tea.

fishplants, Jul 26, 6:55pm