Rhubarb coconut cake

marcs, Oct 5, 2:06pm
I had found this recipe in a foodtown magazine but do you think I can find it now. Would someone have this recipe. I have found one on trademe cooks but it is not the right one.

jessie981, Oct 5, 7:49pm
marcs just checked out Google. Few recipies there. Good luck.

marcs, Oct 6, 12:39am
thanks Jessie I know there is a few on google. I have made it but I can not remember what went in it. Will keep searching

245sam, Oct 6, 12:43am
marcs, any idea of which issue of Foodtown magazine that the recipe was in... . . this year's? last year's or... . . ? :-))

marcs, Oct 6, 3:54am
from memory it was it either 2004, 2005 or 2006. I don't have all the issues and it has been posted on here before. I have come to a conclusion that I have misplaced that book but I remember seeing it a couple of months ago. I am in the process of hunting the missing book and I have been through the mangazines that I have about 5 times. lol

marcs, Oct 6, 4:06am
I don't think it was 2006 though

griffo4, Oct 6, 6:20am
if you find the recipe can you please post it as you have got me interested as l have a heap of rhubarb

marcs, Oct 7, 2:58am
If I do Lol I have been through the magazines a dozen times now. I have seen it just recently so hopefully I will see it again.

shell94, Oct 7, 4:25am
try this one 1 ½ cups self-raising Flour
1 ¼ cups castor Sugar
1 ¼ cups Coconut
125gm Butter, melted
3 Eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup Milk
½ teaspoon Vanilla Essence
¾ cup(about 90gm) finely chopped Rhubarb
2 stalks extra Rhubarb, cut into 5cm lengths
2 tablespoons soft Brown Sugar

Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease a deep 20cm round cake tin and line base with baking paper.
Combine flour with castor sugar and coconut. Stir in melted butter, eggs, milk and vanilla.
Spread half the cake mixture into the prepared tin, then scatter chopped rhubarb evenly over the top. Spread remaining mixture over the rhubarb, then arrange extra rhubarb pieces over the top of te cake. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
Bake for 1 hour. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before tuning out onto wire rack.
(This cake is suitable to freeze)

245sam, Oct 7, 4:28am
marcs, I've checked all my Foodtowns with no luck but I only have from December 2004 onwards. Hope you or someone can find the recipe you so obviously want to source. :-))

griffo4, Oct 7, 8:37pm
I just had a look on Taste site and got this Rhubarb coconut cake
Ingredients
• 1½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
• 1¼ cups (275g) caster sugar
• 1¼ cups (110g) desiccated coconut
• 125g butter, melted
• 3 eggs, beaten lightly
• ½ cup (125ml) milk
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• ¾ cup (90g) finely chopped rhubarb
• 2 stalks (125g) rhubarb, extra
• 2 tablespoons demerara sugar

• NOTE: This recipe can be made two days ahead.

griffo4, Oct 7, 8:37pm
Part 2 • NOTE: This recipe can be made two days ahead.
• Serving size: Serves 10 or more
• Cooking time: More than 1 hour
Method
Preheat oven to moderate (180°C). Grease a deep 20cm round cake pan; line the base with baking paper.
Combine flour, sugar and coconut in a medium bowl; stir in butter, eggs, milk and extract until combined.
Spread half the cake mixture into the prepared pan; scatter chopped rhubarb evenly over cake mixture. Spread remaining batter over rhubarb.
Cut extra rhubarb into 5cm lengths. Arrange rhubarb pieces over top of cake, sprinkle with demerara sugar.
Bake in a moderate oven for about 1 hour. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes; turn onto wire rack to cool.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
Cook's note
Cover top of cake loosely with foil if overbrowning

griffo4, Oct 7, 8:39pm
It said on the Taste search that it was in an Australian Woman's weekly so maybe that is the book you saw it in. Hope this helps

marcs, Oct 8, 1:11am
thank you everyone. I will try one of these recipes because I know it turns out really moist. I will keep looking for the recipe that I want. I know it is here somewhere. Shell94 it sounds like the recipe that I am looking for. I remember now that the rhubarb was layered in it rather than mixed all together and thank you 245sam. You are an angel for going through all your books.

griffo4, Oct 8, 8:20am
I just read both recipes and they are the same except for the brown sugar on the topping. Marcs please let us know if it is the one as it was in an Australian Woman's Weekly according to the Taste web site recipe search

marcs, Oct 9, 8:39am
I think it is. I bake for a restaurant which means I don't get to taste it. I have made it and looks pretty moist. I remember the rhubarb being put in the middle rather than mixed in so I am pretty sure it is the recipe.

carpman, Apr 8, 10:53pm
Our lovely neighbour gave us some rhubarb... I had a search on here and found this recipe. Baked it yesterday and it is utterly delicious! Everyone loves it! What a great recipe board this is :0)