Dunheath type custard squares

195057, Nov 16, 2:34am
Does anybody have a receipe thank you

natalie9, Nov 16, 10:47pm
Chelsea Winters recipe looks amazing. It's in her latest book 'Homemade Happiness' but if you like her Facebook page she has it in there

motorbo, Nov 16, 11:33pm
this is my trifle custard recipe it is very thick, i am thinking if you made it just a wee bit thicker it would be prefect, the cream and egg yolks make the custard to die for

Trifle custard
1 cup of custard powder
1 cup of sugar
3 cups of milk
300ml of thickened cream
2 teaspoons of vanilla
4 egg yolks
Combine custard powder and sugar in pan and gradually stir in the milk, stir constantly over heat until mixture boils and thickens, remove from heat and stir in thickened cream, vanilla and egg yolks, cool to room temperature before using in trifle.
My hints: start mixing the milk in before it gets too hot, do not heat on high – med temp is best, when it starts to thicken take off the heat and beat it hard its firm so you need strong arms, add cream first to cool it a wee bit when eggs go in beat fast so as to not cook the egg first

daarhn, Nov 17, 1:52am
Yum. would it not be easier to combine the lot first, making sure everything is well combined then gently heating? It's how I make my custard/ custard squares/ Mille-feuille/trifle/tarts etc since a wee lad

245sam, Nov 17, 2:28am
From the former Trade Me Cooks.

"Custard Squares similar to denheaths
In a pot heat slowly 1 1/2c of milk, 1 1/2c cream and 100g of butter. Whisk together in a bowl, 4 heaped Tblsp of cornflour, 3 dsp icing sugar, 2 eggs, 1 capful of vanilla ess. & 1 cup of cream. When first measure of milk and butter has melted pour in the remaining mixture and bring to the boil very slowly whisking frequently. Into this mixture I add half a tub of cream cheese. Frequent whisking mixes the cream cheese so there are no lumps, cook until the custard is thick – cool for about an hour. Cook 2 sheets of (pricked with a fork all over) pre rolled pastry – as I said I will now use sweet crust pastry. Cook as per instructions on back of packet. When pastry is cooled I cut it to fit my square Tupperware container, put one layer of pastry in container pour over custard, pop other pastry layer on top and ice with normal icing and sprinkle with coconut. It does take time but the slaving over the stove is worth it! Hope you enjoy as much as we do! I do wonder if beating the custard with the cake mixer while it is cooling would make it fluffier? Posted By graebalz" :-))

195057, Jun 19, 10:50am
thanks to all will let youknow how it goes