Large ham from New World - reduced

Page 1 / 2
jills3, Jan 24, 12:03am
Yesterday I bought a manuka smoked ham that was $65.00, reduced to $30.00. This ham will just be eaten, breakfast, lunch and tea for the next week or so. My question, do I have to glaze it, or is it just as tasty straight out of plastic rapping. Thank you.

kiwitrish, Jan 24, 12:24am
No need to glaze it if you don't want.

doree36, Jan 24, 12:43am
wrap it in a tea towel soaked in water and lemonade and put it in the fridge - change cloth every two days. can be kept for ages like this. - also slice meal sized amounts off it, wrap them in non stick tin foil (dull side againt the ham and put into zip lock bags (Pushing bag down to expel air and put in the freezer - defrost when you need it - I took out a packet yesterday - if it is a little damp just pat with a paper it was perfect - I think a couple of months would be its freezing time.-

doree36, Jan 24, 12:51am
P.S I used every bit of my ham - even down to making a delicious ham bone soup - using the bone and a pea and ham soup mix and a few veges chopped onion, carrots, potatoes - it was delicious and lasted my 85year old husband and I 79 for two whole meals - I grew up during the war years so Mum taught me all the economising meals! Waste not want not as the saying goes

jills3, Jan 24, 1:21am
So true, I was also taught Waste not want not. I do notice on the package it says use before 30/1/15, so yes will freeze some. I always say in this house, you want starve but you have to eat whatever I get cheap lol.

retired, Jan 24, 2:24am
Hi doree36 we are the same age and also lived through rationing and the blitz. I think a lot of younger cooks do very well and have learnt to stretch the dollar but sadly a lot have not. I think the waste not want not of the older cook never goes away. Wonder what sort of meals would be produced from the rations we got? I have a copy of the book "We'll Eat Again", also my Ration Book, very interesting what we ate in those days!

bagglz, Jan 24, 3:09am
hi retired I would be interested what you were allowed in those days of rationing of food,you had to make do with not a lot,an these days some people by tins an packet food, no idea of how to make from scratch.im 52 an didn't have packets of gravy mixs or others that come from freezer.

petal1955, Jan 24, 3:28am
Well I grew up in the 50"s and both my parents lived thru the depression and the war and I still to this day DONT throw out food.we are always eating meals made from something else. grow our own veggies. friends that eat at our house always comment on how my meals taste so good and flavoursome. and dont cost the earth. one family meal at KFC would be half of what I would spend on groceries a week ! .

retired, Jan 24, 3:31am
Hi bagglz, we were allowed per week, bacon, ham or meat 4ozs, 2 ozs butter, 2 ozs cheese, 4 ozs margarine and cooking fat, 3 pints of milk, 8 ozs sugar, 1 lb preserves e erg 2 months, 2 ozs tea, 1 egg per week if available and 12 ozs of sweets every 4 weeks. Sometimes these varied on availability. No wonder there were no overweight people around in those days. It ran on a points system so think shopping meat for tinned fish when available went on.

retired, Jan 24, 3:43am
Dig for your dinner. when salvage is all that remains of the joint, and there isn't a tin and you haven't a 'point', instead of creating a dance and a ballad, Just raid the allotment and dig up as alas!

kay141, Jan 24, 3:58am
We had rationing in this country until the late 40s. I can't remember what the quantities were but I know when my mother was pregnant, you got a certificate from your Dr and that entitled you to 1lb oranges, an extra pint of milk and 1lb of white wool. I'm not sure but I think the oranges were monthly, the milk daily and the wool, a one off.

retired, Jan 24, 4:32am
You got an extra half ration of meat when pregnant and I am talking right into the 1950s. No oranges, just orange juice from the clinic. The first time I sa a banana 'twas the ones in my Dad's kit bag when he was on leave from the Navy!

kay141, Jan 24, 4:39am
It was oranges here as I went with my mother to get them. No clinics either, just your GP. Not sure about bananas. Can't remember my first one of them. I do remember seeing them growing in the hothouse at the Dunedin Botanic Gardens.

jills3, Jan 24, 4:41am
What is white wool?

kay141, Jan 24, 4:44am
White knitting wool. All the wool was being dyed khaki, navy or air force blue and a little was left white for new babies. Other than that, old knitted garments were unpulled and reknitted time and time again. I remember some very garish colour combinations.

floralsun, Jan 24, 4:46am
My friend in her nineties has told me of the tough rationing in England in the early 50's - she said that eventually became the final straw that resulted in their decision to emigrate to Australia (as NZ had the full quota - they moved here some years later),
She said to go from being allowed '1 small chop per person' per week, from which they made three meals, to the wide range of food that was available on the ship they travelled on, was astonishing - they just could not believe they could eat what they wanted, and as much as they wanted - and everyone on board gained weight during the long trip.
And yes, she still goes by the waste not, want not.

gilligee, Jan 24, 4:46am
Knitting wool for a baby!

retired, Jan 24, 5:07am
We had an aunt and uncle in NSW Australia who sent food parcels. Once a box of jelly crystals has broken open and we thought it was sherbet. The parcels were like mana from heaven, tinned peaches were saved for special occasions. I do know from personal experience I was on a 1.1/2 ration of meat and I got a piece of rump steak that was in 1954. I still have the ration book along with my Identity Card.

floralsun, Jan 24, 5:15am
I saw that the NZ Gardener magazine, which began printing in the 40's, was allowed to do so by the Government of the day because of the need to grow food.

nauru, Jan 24, 8:51am
I'm with you on this one petal. I grew up in England through the 50's too, Mum always had good nourishing meals on the table, made from fresh ingredients. Convenience foods hadn't arrived then, not that Mum could afford to buy them anyway on Dad's poor Miners wage. She taught me well as did my MIL (who was a farmers daughter) when I got married, everything made from scratch and with a waste not want not attitude. They could both make a pound stretch to two. As they say, old habits die hard and I continue to carry on the same way. Passed it all on to my children too but sadly they go the easy convenience way sometimes.

huca1, Jan 24, 1:26pm
I'm sure I've read somewhere that the health of the poor improved during rationing, went to have a look and found this:

Local authority-run 'British Restaurants' fed those bombed out of their homes and also provided cheap meals for workers. They were often set up in schools and church halls. By 1944 there were 2000 British restaurants.

Found this too

Despite the complexity, the queuing and the paperwork, many appreciated the fairness and equality of rationing. It continued until 1954 due to the large number of men still in the armed forces, a badly damaged economy and Britain's responsibility to feed those parts of Europe under its control.

I've seen photos of the parks turned into allotments too.

Isn't the internet interesting sometimes?

retired, Jan 24, 6:47pm
Knitting wool was very scarce and my mother collected, from goodness knows where, darning wool and knitted my little sister a jersey. The back being a mass of knots. I remember my coat which had started life as a blanket and dyed maroon. Clothes were turned inside out, shoes repaired with whatever was available. Food was not the only thing that you became thrifty with as clothing was on rations also. Yes the nation was fitter and everyone helped each other where they could. yuca yes everyone was urged to Dig For Victory!

rebecca18, Jan 25, 12:00am
My grandmother, who would be about 107 if still alive, used to send boxes of food to Britain from New Zealand all through the war, she numbered each box and over the years none went missing. When the recipient, a distant relative, died she left an inheritance for my grandmother which she and my grandfather used to purchase a house.

kay141, Jan 25, 12:06am
So true. My mother and her sister were knitters most of their lives. By the time the war arrived, they and their families had large collections of knitted garments. These were unpicked and reknitted many times over the years. They swapped a lot of it and seemed to get second hand ones from somewhere which got the same treatment. Clothing was cut down but my mother wasn't a sewer so she traded her skill with the knitting needles for sewing. Thank god, I would hate to think what we might have had to wear. The pudding basin haircuts were bad enough.

retired, Apr 23, 9:16am
It has been so interesting reading everyone's 'memories'. Think we could write a book between us!