Okra

impressions, Apr 21, 11:49pm
Anyone know where to purchase it please?

kirmag, Apr 22, 12:15am
Have seen it at our local Indian Fruit/Vege/Spices shop. maybe try a shop like that in your area.

davidt4, Apr 22, 1:11am
I buy it from various Indian food markets and from Fruit World.

impressions, Apr 22, 2:07am
New World yay!
Thanks.

unknowndisorder, Apr 22, 2:20am
you found it at New World? we have a fruit world up here.

I'd have a look at the TOkoroa Saturday markets (which I never get round to going to when down there, but always plan to - and yes, you do get tourists in TOkoroa whose destination is there, not just passing through lol) ;)

davidt4, Apr 22, 2:20am
I have a friend who lived in Egypt and she hates okra too.

I often cook it in a tomato masala, or braise it with eggplant in coconut milk. The main thing is to avoid overcooking it.

Let me know if you would like some recipes.

davidt4, Apr 22, 2:20am
Fruit World, not New World.

impressions, Apr 22, 2:47am
Okey doke, my mistake.

davidt4, Apr 22, 4:03am
I've been to Istanbul and The Prince's Islands but not to Greece yet. Here are a few recipes that I like:

Okra and Tomato Curry (Sri Lanka)

serves 6

400 g okra (about 20 large)
16 cherry tomatoes, halved
6 small shallots
2 green chillies cut into thirds
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 tsp turmeric powder (or 6cm fresh)
2 tsp Sri Lankan roasted curry powder
2 tsp salt
2 tab coconut oil
125 ml coconut milk

Trim okra, slice diagonally into three pieces. Combine with all except oil and coconut milk.

Heat oil in a heavy pan over medium heat, add okra mixture, cook 5 min. Add coconut milk, cover, reduce heat to low and cook 10 min or until tender.

Okra and Snake Beans with Panch Phora

serves 4 - 6

500g okra, trimmed
8 - 10 snake beans trimmed, in 3cm lengths
2 tab oil or ghee
1 tsp panch phora
1 med onion, finely chopped
½ tsp powdered tumeric (or 1 thumb fresh)
½ tsp chilli flakes
½ tsp salt
½ tsp garam masala

Heat oil and fry panch phora a minute. Add onion (and fresh tumeric if using) and stir until golden. Add spices, salt and okra, cook 20 min until tender. Add beans and cook a few minutes until bright green and tender.

Turkish Okra & Tomato Salad

serves 4 - 6

1 kg small okra
80g butter
2 onions, chopped
2 ripe tomatoes, diced
2 green chillies, chopped
salt
pepper
juice of 1 lemon

Trim tops off okra and place in bowl of water.

Melt butter in large pan over medium heat, cook onions 10 - 15 min until soft but not browned.

Add tomato, chilli, okra and 125 ml water, salt and pepper, simmer 5 - 10 min until okra tender. Add lemon juice.

Serve hot, warm or cold.

samanya, Apr 22, 5:23am
I bought some seeds intending to plant some & it was a
'never got a round tuit' thing. From what I gather you either love it or hate it . would that be right?
Found this which could be helpful & I know the seeds are available.
http://www.gardengrow.co.nz/plant/Okra

marcs, Apr 22, 9:09am
Okra eaten simply is the best. Split in half, sprinkle some salt and pepper and on the barbie on low heat. Love it this way the best. Love zuchinnis and egg plants this way too.

dibble35, Apr 22, 6:47pm
Okra and potato curry - my ex did an indian cooking class and had a fantastic recipe, I have tried to make it several times since but its never been as nice, still enjoyable but not 'ive gotta make this again' enjoyable. I bought some okra 2 weeks ago and found a live caterpillar in it, as it was imported I thought I better contact MAF, though its wasn't one found here in NZ, it wasn't considered a potential threat - just had to kill it.

village.green, Sep 21, 2:20am
I grew up eating this dish in the summer (in Greece) http://cookmegreek.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/kotopoulo-me-bamies-chicken-stew-with.html
Very simple and really nice. Some people don't like the slimy texture of okra the trick is not to take too much of the cap end off. Here in Palmy we can buy okra (or ladies fingers as they are also called) at Sat veg market at the Fijian stall or other Indian type shops.