Lemon Yoghurt Cake

karenz100, Feb 15, 8:18pm
Does anyone have a recipe for this easy to make cake?

pickles7, Feb 15, 8:21pm
I have one , I will need to find it BBS

pickles7, Feb 15, 8:22pm
Lemon and Yoghurt Cake [makes a nice Madeira]
This recipe has been in the family for over 28 years it was given to my Mother, by her mother from her Aunt.
I use my kitchen whizz to make this cake
1 & 3/4 cups caster sugar
1 cup canola oil
rind 2-3 lemons
1/2 tsp salt
then add
2 eggs
one at a time
1 cup plain yoghurt
1 Tblsp tsp lemon juice

fold in
2 cups self raising flour

*paint a 23cm square tin with tin glide
Bake at 180C for thirty minutes.
Let cake rest in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
Traditional madeira cake is served dusted with icing sugar, there are no rules, we have moved on, ice it if you wish.

*tin glide
melt 4ozs of fat add 1oz of vege oil, stir in 2 ozs flour. mix well. keep out of the fridge, in a cool place. You may need to melt and stir a bit to use in winter.

Edited by pickles7 at 9:57 am, Tue 30 Jul

pickles7 (560 ) 9:55 am, Tue 30 Jul #4

pickles7, Feb 15, 8:27pm
cookessentials wrote:

My lemon yoghurt cake needs a big tin.

Lemon Yoghurt Cake
This recipe has been in the family for over 25 years it was given to my Mother a friend in Seattle hence the use of a "bundt" tin. Bundt tins are available for sale in our catalogue. The cake keeps extremely well and freezes beautifully. Just remember to grease tin well with butter and dust with flour,shaking off the excess before filling with mixture.
Ingredients:
1 & 3/4 cups caster sugar
rind 2-3 lemons
2 eggs
1 cup sunflower oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plain unsweetened yoghurt (not low fat)
2-3 tsp lemon juice
2 cups self raising flour
Method:
Beat eggs,oil,sugar and peel together in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients in the order above. Butter and flour a 24cm bundt tin . Bake at 180C for 40-45 minutes. Test with a cake tester. Let cake rest only 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Dust cold cake with sifted icing sugar.

karenz100, Feb 15, 8:27pm
Oh thanks so much - sounds yummy

pickles7, Feb 15, 8:39pm
Enjoy

pickles7, Feb 15, 9:02pm
Lemon Yoghurt Cake
1 ¾ cups sugar, 2 large eggs, 1 cup canola oil, ½ tsp salt, 1 cup yoghurt
2-3 tblsp lemon juice, 2 cups of self raising flour
Chop together rind of two lemons and sugar.
Add eggs, oil, salt, and process until thick and smooth.
Add yoghurt and lemon juice
Add flour – mix just enough to combine
Bake at 160 degrees for 30 minutes.

When cooked pour over the glaze:
¼ cup sugar and juice of one lemon – heated until dissolved.
Nice served with a dollop of whipped cream as a dessert as well.

Quote amanda_simonp (210 ) 12:58 pm, Thu 6 Sep #4" :-))

pickles7, Feb 15, 9:05pm
All much the same I reckon.

huca1, Apr 21, 1:11am
Just bumping this for myself.

Thanks so much for this made some amazing cakes (and looking for it now to make another) have switched one of the lemons for orange which worked well and made icing from icing sugar and orange juice which was super yum.

Made it for a fair and it was the first cake to sell too (to my surprise because it didn't look 'pretty' bit of a shame because I was thinking of buying it back for myself ha ha.

My wee boy says it is the best cake ever ( and he loves chocolate) and people keep asking for it

So thankyou

richard198, Apr 21, 7:30am
Google Basbousa.
Use lemon syrup.
Beootiful!

brianmac, Apr 21, 7:42am
Madeira cake is nowhere near a lemon yoghurt cake. Madeira is a very dense heavy cake. Lemon yoghurt cake is very moist and fluffy because of the yoghurt.

pickles7, Apr 22, 8:20pm
chick _inn . was looking for a lemon cake recipe, here is three much as if they were all spin-offs from my recipe. lol. thats how things roll out I expect.

davidt4, Apr 22, 9:44pm
Pickles7, there has been much discussion about the this particular recipe, with many people claiming it as their own. As I understand it the recipe originated from Alison Holst many years ago.

samanya, Apr 22, 11:34pm
After trying a few recipes . this is my favourite. It's a lovely moist cake & always a hit when I serve it to guests. (I don't make it unless I have a crowd, cos I'd scoff the lot!)

pickles7, Sep 20, 10:52am
I hate to think my grandad jumped another fence.