Cleaning my pot

helen131, Jul 23, 1:09am
Hi, can anyone out there give me some advice on getting rid of the burnt residue in my big jam pot. I was making some marmalade and when I put it on high to get extra bubble the sugar burnt and it is really hard to get off the bottom of my pot. I want to try again on not such a high heat but have to clean the big pot first. Thanks. Look forward to help. Helen

pericles, Jul 23, 1:11am
What You Need

Materials
•1 cup of vinegar
•2 tablespoons of baking soda
•1 cup of water (give or take depending on the size of your pan)
•A burnt stainless steel pan that was left empty and unattended on a heated hot plate. oops!.
•A scourer, because I can't find any way to avoid it entirely

lythande1, Jul 23, 2:05am
Just need to soak it. At least 24 hrs.

helen131, Jul 23, 3:11am
Thanks Pericles and Lythande1 I will attempt both. Cheers.

samanya, Jul 23, 3:36am
I soak for a day or over night (depends how badly burnt) with a strong solution of dishwasher powder . works for me.

janbodean, Jul 23, 4:56am
Neat bleach will remove it in no time. Just soak it for a little while and then wash.

hezwez, Jul 23, 5:08am
I use a handful of washing soda, bring to boil in pot, make sure it doesn't boil over the top, put lid on and leave overnight. Never fails.

asue, Jul 23, 10:00am
If really bad it may take several goes with the vinegar and baking soda. Then lots of hard scrubbing.

uli, Feb 19, 9:17am
Now if this a NOT stainless pot - meaning it is aluminium or copper or any other metal (as a lot of older jam pots are) then PLEASE do nothing of the above but soak in hot soapy water for a few days!

Definitely do not use bleach, baking soda or any other chemicals. They work perfectly well if it is stainless pot. But not for other metals.