Lemon curd

motorbo, Aug 27, 9:25am
i havent made it for years so have no saved recipe, i looked online and the recipes varies heaps. so please dont tell me to use the search bar, i want your recipe if its fail proof and thick and delish. please and thank you :)

sarahb5, Aug 27, 12:02pm
I bumped a thread with my recipe in it

jentee3, Aug 29, 4:13am
Here is my recipe, make it for gifts, always loved.
250 grams sugar
125 grams butter
2 eggs
Rind of 3 lemons
Juice of 2 large lemons.
In a double boiler or in a bowl over a pot of water, put everything in except the eggs. heat until the sugar and butter are melted. Wait until mixture cools, then add the beaten eggs. Heat again while stirring, til the mixture thickens. Keep in fridge.

fetish, Oct 5, 7:24am
quote=jentee3]Here is my recipe, make it for gifts, always loved.
250 grams sugar
125 grams butter
2 eggs
Rind of 3 lemons
Juice of 2 large lemons.
In a double boiler or in a bowl over a pot of water, put everything in except the eggs. heat until the sugar and butter are melted. Wait until mixture cools, then add the beaten eggs. Heat again while stirring, til the mixture thickens. Keep in fridge.[/quote]

I luckily found this recipe when searching through the trademe boards, when I say luckiily it's because I've been told that while making lemon curd may look easy, its also easy to muck it up, my mother even warned me against just trying it, but with typical younger 'I know better' I refused her I know better I can do it by myself, I did just that, nervousness went along with each step. I wasn't sure if enough lemon flavor would come through for my liking so I used 3 super large lemons from my unsuspecting neighbours tree (they were hanging on my end of the fence !) the recipe didn't say if I should put the entire mix back on the double boiler (or in my case a cheap plastic bowl inside a large saucepan) so I did anyway to be on the safe side. The curd has turned out awesome ! I used 3 super large lemons from my unsuspecting neighbor, and everything else exactly as your recipe, except for the reheating as to my paranoia no I will be making it again ! This simple recipe deserves to be bumped and praised for its gorgeous simplicity, ease of making and the wonderful result !

anne1955, Oct 5, 7:34am
I just made 6 jars for our fund raising at a market yesterday sold all. And waiting to hear about some I made for a friend that can't eat eggs. Found an eggless recipe So will see. Had never made before but eaten as a child an loved it. Also made jellies for the first time this year and they to turned out amazing and clear as. Next year I am going to put some in a local show and see how they go :)
Bring back more great old fashion foods etc.

kay34, Oct 5, 7:59am
Please excuse my total ignorance/stupidity, but lemon curd is what is used in lemon merignue pie? How long will it keep in the fridge. might get really brave and try making some for Xmas gifts

fetish, Oct 5, 9:55am
Kay, as a child my mum made lemon meringue pie as a special dessert, when talking to her about this, she said it was different, and from my memory's of hers, the lemon in that dish were, as I said to her, much more 'jellified' and a wobbly mix you could slice through, where this is more buttery, where I think in some places the term lemon honey/butter comes from, as they say it's wonderful spread on toast etc. it's most certainly different from my mums lemon meringue and no diaregard to my mum, but this is much yummier !

anne1955, Oct 5, 7:52pm
Hi Kay will last in fridge for ages they say 2 weeks but I have some a month old fine still in my fridge. It has cooked eggs in it so no reason it shouldn't last fine also so much sugar like a jam But not to be left in cupboard for too long especially in summer. It's just yummy

sampa, Oct 5, 8:13pm
Pretty sure they're different - lemon curd is denser and sweeter (going from memory). I made something using lemon curd mixed with mascarpone then sandwiched between two sheets of pastry a couple of months back. That was delicious and lighter than straight out lemon curd by itself. I've been too scared to re-visit it though cause that was the only 'lite' thing about it!

Just a PS - once upon a time I recall making lemon curd/honey in the microwave. The advantage of that was being able to make a small quantity at a time if that's desirable (was for us since we only get through 2 or 3 small jars a year). If anyone's interested I'll see if I can dig up the recipe, it was something I stumbled across online but there's bound to be other versions out there. I tend to just buy mine these days since I'm lemon deficient sadly so by the time you've bought all the stuff it's hardly worth making if you don't start out with your own (or a generous friends) homegrown crop.

davidt4, Oct 5, 8:39pm
My mother's lemon meringue pie filling was much leaner and less delicious than lemon curd. From memory it involved lemon juice and zest, a lot of sugar, a little butter and was thickened with cornflour.

Here is a quick and fool proof recipe for a thick creamy lemon curd. There is no need to use a double boiler.

Lemon Curd

60g unsalted butter
130g caster sugar
finely grated zest of two lemons (or one lemon and one tangelo)
2 egg yolks
1 whole egg
100 ml lemon juice

In a small heavy bottomed saucepan melt the butter over very low heat. Meanwhile beat the eggs and sugar together until well combined but not foamy, add zest and juice and mix. Pour into pan and stir well, raise heat to medium and stir constantly until the foam dissipates and it thickens. This will take about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and continue to stir for a minute, pour into containers. Cover when cold and keep in the fridge.

korbo, Oct 5, 11:57pm
why do so many recipes use unsalted butter?

davidt4, Oct 6, 12:22am
Because a salt flavour doesn't complement the lemon flavour.

griffo4, Oct 7, 2:45am
Funny this should pop up l made some today using Glenys Raffill's recipe and l will use some of it in the lemon coconut meringue slice from foodlovers

Glennys Raffill’s LEMON HONEY

75g butter
¾ cup sugar
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
⅓ cup lemon juice
2 large eggs, beaten

Put the butter, sugar, lemon rind and juice into a little jug and cook on HIGH (100%) for 1-2 minutes (until the sugar has dissolved). Mix and gradually add to the egg mixture, stirring well. Return the mixture to the jug and cook on MEDIUM (50%), stirring every minute until the mixture thickens (3-5 minutes). Mixture will thicken more as it cools.

griffo4, Oct 7, 2:49am
Here is the link to the slice recipe, it is very tasty

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/lemon-coconut-meringue-slice.html

asue, Oct 7, 8:19am
What do you all use lemon curd on/with?

anne1955, Oct 7, 10:09pm
On toast or fresh bread, in tarts, slices or on Pav before cream Just plan yummy :)

sampa, Oct 7, 10:35pm
It's delicious with greek yoghurt or in little pastry (tart) cases. Pretty much anything that you could dream up that would be enhanced by a sweet, tart, lemon flavour is going to work. Or just eat it by the spoonful but don't tell. shhhh. lol And don't eat too much that way or you won't touch it again for a really long time. ;-)

davidt4, Sep 14, 11:03am
In very small quantities with Greek yoghurt, in a citrus trifle, as part of the filling in a meringue roulade, in the base of a baked custard.