What can i make with mince that kids will eat!

Page 2 / 2
jane310567, Nov 19, 2:22am
I make wee pizzas using mince mixed with spices.

jane310567, Nov 19, 2:24am

robyn35, Nov 19, 2:29am
lasagne

kirmag, Nov 19, 2:38am
Pasta bake? Like macaroni mince.

Maybe just don't feed them mince if they won't eat any of those.

thejewellerybox, Nov 19, 2:57am
Cottage pie? Mini meat pies with puff pastry? Lasagna? How old are your kids?

roshu, Nov 19, 3:08am
Meat loaf

Get them to make their own patties then BBQ them

dskbl, Nov 19, 3:20am
How about getting them to help make the meatballs or bolognese they do like, then getting them to help make something else that has basically the same ingredients like nachos, and hopefully when they see that the ingredients are mostly the same and they have helped, they might just be willing to try something different?

rarogal, Nov 19, 3:31am
Brown your mince, drain off any fat/juices, add a large tin of spaghetti or baked beans. My grandies love this!

karlymouse, Nov 19, 3:40am
how about making fried rice and adding a small quantity of good quality mince or pork mince instead of a whole heap of the cheap stuff which I find tastes rather nasty.

245sam, Nov 19, 3:55am
I agree with you karlymouse re the good quality mince and the taste of the "cheap stuff" - we always use the better quality mince and have done for many years, after all. the look of the "cheaper stuff" is IMO enough to put anyone off mince and we really don't see the point in paying for an excessive amount of fat amongst the pieces of minced meat.

gloriousgirl01, do you think your children would like this? It's basically an all-in-one meal that can be prepared ahead up to the baking stage. If doing that be sure to keep it cool, in this warm weather, ideally refrigerated and allow extra time for the dish to come to room temperature after removal from the refrigerator and before being put into the preheated oven.

CASSEROLE DINNER
1 tbsp oil or butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped (optional)
227g-340g mince
1 x 450g can spaghetti
1 cup frozen peas (optional)
2 tbsp each of butter and flour
1 cup milk
½ cup grated cheese
2 eggs
½ tsp salt
pepper and nutmeg to taste

Brown the onion and garlic in the oil or butter, then remove them from the pan and set them aside. In the same pan brown the mince.
In an ovenproof dish spread the spaghetti. Cover the spaghetti with the frozen peas, if using, then sprinkle over the browned onion and garlic and the browned mince.
Make a roux sauce with the butter, flour and milk. Into the thickened sauce stir the grated cheese. Remove the sauce from the heat and cool it slightly, then beat together and add the eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Beat to mix, then pour the sauce over the casserole ingredients.
Bake at 180°C for about ½ hour or until the topping is golden brown and set.

Hope that helps. :-))

campmum, Nov 19, 4:14am
Yummy Mince Fritters - Easy & delicious
Have been making these for years - Old Maggi Recipe Book
500 grams minced beef, pork or veal,
1 onion, finely chopped,
½ cup of flour,
½ cup milk,
1 egg,
1 ½ tsp Maggi green herb stock powder or (chopped parsley & chicken stock)
1 clove garlic- crushed,
1 tsp salt,
¼ tsp pepper.

Mix all together. Fry spoonfuls in a little oil until golden.
About 5 – 6 mins each side.YUM!

• If you want to extend the recipe to go further, add an extra ½ cup milk & ½ cup flour.

litjac, Nov 19, 7:48am
Do you have to precook the mince first, or do you use it raw?

campmum, Nov 19, 8:21am
Raw mince- i use beef

nik12, Nov 19, 9:40am
My kids love lasanga. and I make them eat 'mince stew'. browned with onion, oxo cube or two, bit or worchershire sauce and lots of vege's. I do let them add tomato sauce on top (if you ignore the sugar and salt) it's another vege serving.
I'm also really tough, can't stand fussy kids. If they don't want it fine, they can go hungry (ps I'm not old, just busy lol).
Edit. I do 'cheat's lasanga'. do the mince add the sauce, etc tomato's, mix with whatever pasta. put in a dish, top with cheese sauce and warm through.

lythande1, Nov 19, 5:46pm
Fussy? Hungry kids are never fussy.
If you start giving in to their pickiness now they'll never have a healthy diet.

chez23, Jan 12, 9:51am
I make Meat loaf and call it Meat Cake,that works for me