Can you dye sugar?

natalie012, Oct 20, 5:23am
I can't find any blue sprinkles for my daughters Frozen birthday party, but I had a thought about dying some sugar. Is it possible to do it with food colouring, or will it just dissolve the sugar and leave me with nothing? TIA

southerngurl, Oct 20, 5:25am
Thats how they get coloured candy floss. Google it, Youtube will show you the way.

anne1955, Oct 20, 5:33am
My candy floss machine uses hard coloured lollies for making coloured candy floss.

So I would be interested to know about colouring sugar cruising google and likes uses up to much data on my limited connection :)
Same as colouring Epsom Salts always wondered if they would disintegrate with fool colouring. Will come back here :)

peterd11, Oct 20, 5:33am
Use 1 or 2 drops of Gel (NOT liquid) and mix it through - this is how they make sanding sugar. At the factory it's made in standard concrete mixers with a couple of drops of gel and left turning for a few hours to mix it up however it should be pretty easy to replicate in a bowl. Just don't add too much gel.

veejay13, Oct 20, 6:02am
It's quite successful with liquid food colouring. just start by adding the smallest possible amount. I used to use red colouring to make the pink sugar for the top of Belgian biscuits. The easiest way to blend it in was to press it in with the back of a spoon. Good luck - hope this helps.

rarogal, Oct 20, 8:33pm
I've done it using food colouring. I put rubber/plastic gloves on, a couple of drops onto my fingertips, then rub into sugar, just the way you would colour coconut. A little at a time is the best way.

daarhn, Oct 20, 11:06pm
sugar in a jar, few drops of food colouring, screw on lid then shake until mixed, add another drop until colour you want. Stores nicely in the jar and no mess.

huca1, Oct 20, 11:22pm
I've done it in zip lock bags too and with liquid food colouring.
works really well and can get a good range of colours.

great for birthday cakes

I once had a sticky job making candy floss for the school fair we used food colouring to dye that.

tjman, Oct 21, 7:34pm
I got blue crystal sugar sprinkles in New world

tinkagirl, Aug 7, 12:56am
hell yes, remember the blue sugar rim on cocktail glasses. that we so much fun in the days. lol